• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. The Game Kitchen

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
4 weeks ago#1
I had such a great experience playing through The Game Kitchen's first two chapters of The Last Door. So dark, weird and full excellent creepiness. For those unfamiliar, it is a very lo fi point and click game with a Lovecraftian style story.

Their next project is immensely exciting for me...it is a Castlevania style game called Blasphemous. It looks gorgeous and has really amazing imagery in a sort of dark sacred style. It is definitely inspired by horror, and so imo it is relevant to this board.

User Info: ShinChuck

ShinChuck
4 weeks ago#2
darthcorpse posted...
Their next project is immensely exciting for me...it is a Castlevania style game called Blasphemous. It looks gorgeous and has really amazing imagery in a sort of dark sacred style. It is definitely inspired by horror, and so imo it is relevant to this board.

I love anything Castlevania. One of my all-time favorite series! I'll definitely keep an eye on Blasphemous.

A little bummed Bloodstained has been delayed, but I'd rather them release it complete and to great success than drop the ball on what could essentially be the continuation of its spiritual predecessor series (Here's lookin' at you, Mighty No. 9!).
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1

User Info: lightningxiii-2

lightningxiii-2
4 weeks ago#3
Why is it so pixelated?! Wikipedia says the first episode was released in 2013. Doesn't make any sense, right?
Horror fans can discuss horror games here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1482-horror-games
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

darthcorpse
4 weeks ago#4
lightningxiii-2 posted...
Why is it so pixelated?! Wikipedia says the first episode was released in 2013. Doesn't make any sense, right?

It is a stylistic choice

lightningxiii-2
4 weeks ago#5
darthcorpse posted...

It is a stylistic choice

I don't find it artistic at all! I just find it too annoying and ugly. It makes the game completely unplayable for me.
Horror fans can discuss horror games here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1482-horror-games

darthcorpse
4 weeks ago#6
darthcorpse posted...

It is a stylistic choice

I don't find it artistic at all! I just find it too annoying and ugly. It makes the game completely unplayable for me.

That's as may be, but an artistic choice is exactly what it is. And how do you know it is unplayable? Have you actually tried it? I can assure you it is perfectly playable, and very effective. The lo fi graphics are actually good because they emphasise the mysterious feeling.

I can only hope you're talking about The Last Door here, which is definitely highly pixelated, and not Blasphemous, which is as gorgeous a work of pixel art as any that graced the SNES...

This sort of comment as well as your distain on for the historical giants of survival horror like the original RE due to its fixed camera angles that you "hate" makes me despair that you don't have a proper appreciation for the games that led the way historically. Granted TLD is not old, but if that is "unplayable", how would you fair with actually old games? Games that are important to experience because they pave the way for what we have now?
If we forget the past, we are not doomed to repeat it, but to endlessly repeat the cycle of subpar triple A nonsense that everyone thinks is all they can expect from games these days.

lightningxiii-2
4 weeks ago#7
darthcorpse posted...
And how do you know it is unplayable? Have you actually tried it?

No, but I saw some screenshots of the game and it looked awful.

darthcorpse posted...
I can only hope you're talking about The Last Door here, which is definitely highly pixelated, and not Blasphemous

Yes, I'm talking about the first one. The latter looks a lot better, but it still looks ugly to me. I like side-scrollers. I've played some really nice ones like Limbo, Inside, Samorost, ..., but I refuse to play games with low-quality graphics. I don't find them interesting.

darthcorpse posted...
how would you fair with actually old games?

I don't play them!

darthcorpse posted...
Games that are important to experience because they pave the way for what we have now?

I don't think I 'have to' play any game I don't find interesting. Playing games like RE remake is torture for me. I played the remastered version only once and got rid of it shortly afterwards. I couldn't stand those archaic mechanics. It had unsatisfying bad graphics too. It was supposed to have HD graphics, but they had used the same pre-rendered backgrounds. My main issue with that game was its mechanics, though.

darthcorpse posted...
endlessly repeat the cycle of subpar triple A nonsense that everyone thinks is all they can expect from games these days.

Nonsense? Triple-A games are 'nonsense' to you? I didn't expect to hear that from you! You seemed to be a logical person. And it's not that I only play AAA games. I am personally a fan of 'quality' indie games, including side-scrollers, and support them. Some indie games are a lot better than some AAA ones.

darthcorpse
4 weeks ago#8
I agree that many indie games are far more interesting than triple A titles. So I am not sure why you took exception to my remark...one has only to look at the plethora of samey games, with their loot boxes, microtransactions, and boring, homogenized gameplay to realise that triple A developers are scared to try new things, and eventually they will lose the fan base if they don't take some risks.

But none of this is relevant to this thread...you may not like it (which is sad as you haven't even tried it), but I created it for people that might be interested, or people who have played it too, or are interested in Castlevania style games like Blasphemous.

User Info: yadehtsiyadot

yadehtsiyadot
4 weeks ago#9
Grew up with the NES, so graphics don't matter to me. Give me solid gameplay any day. Deadly Premonition and God Hand were ripped apart for their graphics, and those were two games I couldn't put down.

TC, thank you for the information. Blasphemous looks cool. I really dug the blind baby and demon looking boss(?).
Bloodborne: https://www.youtube.com/PraiseTheHunt
Bedlam Video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthYLU5wCVu2MdhqTFlj3RQ

lightningxiii-2
4 weeks ago#10
@darthcorpse posted...
But none of this is relevant to this thread...you may not like it (which is sad as you haven't even tried it), but I created it for people that might be interested, or people who have played it too, or are interested in Castlevania style games like Blasphemous.

So you wanna tell me I am not allowed to dislike a game's visuals? And talk about it if I don't like it? That you don't like me posting in your thread?
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. The Game Kitchen
  • Topic Archived