• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. What kind of horror game would you make if you were a video game developer?

User Info: OosontheLoose

OosontheLoose
3 months ago#11
JetJenkins posted...
I'd hire Kojima to make a complete P.T with a different name.

It always should have had a different name. If it’s not Team Silent then it isn’t SH.
NOW PLAYING: Silent Hill 2

User Info: JetJenkins

JetJenkins
3 months ago#12
OosontheLoose posted...
JetJenkins posted...

It always should have had a different name. If it’s not Team Silent then it isn’t SH.

Lul.
"My carriage is being prepared, I will be there at dusk; the adherents of the wheel will suffer" - the Queen's Fool

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
3 months ago#13
OosontheLoose posted...
JetJenkins posted...

I kinda get this point. I have played minimal amounts of Silent Hill so far, but am very familiar with it. We don't know what Silent Hills would have entailed, but imo PT is a very different beast than SH, in terms of story, atmosphere and style. In would dearly love to see what Silent Hills would have been...though of course it wouldn't be the same as Team Silent game. I wish they would create it, but with a different name, so we could at least see what they planned.

PT itself was a beautiful and important piece of horror gaming, and has proven highly influential. It is short and perfectly formed, so I don't know if it would benefit from a longer version, but a sequel in its vein would be amazing.

User Info: OosontheLoose

OosontheLoose
3 months ago#14
darthcorpse posted...
OosontheLoose posted...
JetJenkins posted...

I kinda get this point. I have played minimal amounts of Silent Hill so far, but am very familiar with it. We don't know what Silent Hills would have entailed, but imo PT is a very different beast than SH, in terms of story, atmosphere and style. In would dearly love to see what Silent Hills would have been...though of course it wouldn't be the same as Team Silent game. I wish they would create it, but with a different name, so we could at least see what they planned.

PT itself was a beautiful and important piece of horror gaming, and has proven highly influential. It is short and perfectly formed, so I don't know if it would benefit from a longer version, but a sequel in its vein would be amazing.

Exactly. The demo was good and I was way excited for it but randomly slapping the SH IP on it was a dumb move.
NOW PLAYING: Silent Hill 2

User Info: Suuns

Suuns
3 months ago#15
I would love to see a full fledged Cronenberg game.
Flesh horror is left out for some reason these days.

Also something Lovecraftian.
I know there are lots of lovecraftian games, but few manages to nail it.
Cthulhu is awesome, but its overdone, all hail the yellow king and thousands of other old ones.

And another horror that I would do, is a game were there are no monsters.
Maybe a game where we have to cope with loss and true horrors of life,
like playing a characters life, whos life goes to absolute, unimaginable hell.
And you don't lose your family in the opening cutscene, but somewhere at 40% of the game,
You as a player fall in love with character's family and life and see how it slowly dies in front of you and you live and go through it with him.
I would do a tragic, sad game full of real life pain, suffering, terror and horror. All which happened to one unlucky man.
One horrific event after another, each worse than the last. Just when you think nothing could get worse, it does,
and you have to help the character somehow overcome it until the next one.
Ending:
And there would be no happy endings. Killing all hope for the players, leaving them completely empty and devastated
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

darthcorpse
3 months ago#16
Suuns posted...

Cthulhu is awesome, but its overdone, all hail the yellow king and thousands of other old ones.

And you don't lose your family in the opening cutscene, but somewhere at 40% of the game,
You as a player fall in love with character's family and life and see how it slowly dies in front of you and you live and go through it with him.
I would do a tragic, sad game full of real life pain, suffering, terror and horror. All which happened to one unlucky man.
One horrific event after another, each worse than the last. Just when you think nothing could get worse, it does,
Ending:
And there would be no happy endings. Killing all hope for the players, leaving them completely empty and devastated

Oh man, something like Videodrome in terms of visual style would be amazing. I can just imagine the possibilities!!!

I am also a huge Lovecraft fan. Few games i have played have really captured the essence, though Eternal Darkness did obviously try. The fact that there was any way to stop the Ancients kinda held it back, though of course the Ancient you summon to defeat the Ancient trying to invade, while being sent back is stopped for now, there is no guarantee it wouldn't try again and succeed.

Another game that, though I haven't finished it yet, still felt to me like a Lovecraftian horror should is Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. You can defeat the creatures, but some of them respawns, and the feeling of alien otherness is strong. Also the plot felt very Lovecraftian as well IMO.

There is also of course the Chzo Mythos, which is also heavily inspired by Lovecraft. That is an indie point and click series you can play for free. It gave me such an uncomfortable feeling!!

By the same developer is also The Consuming Shadow, which is kind of a roguelike horror adventure game. I really must play this one day, but I did watch a few playthroughs. As it is all random, the only thing this spoils is the game structure and a few circumstances, but I think it looks amazing. Like the Chzo Mythos, this is all done by one guy I am pretty sure.

Suuns
3 months ago#17
darthcorpse posted...
Suuns posted...

Ending:

Oh man, something like Videodrome in terms of visual style would be amazing. I can just imagine the possibilities!!!

I am also a huge Lovecraft fan. Few games i have played have really captured the essence, though Eternal Darkness did obviously try. The fact that there was any way to stop the Ancients kinda held it back, though of course the Ancient you summon to defeat the Ancient trying to invade, while being sent back is stopped for now, there is no guarantee it wouldn't try again and succeed.

Another game that, though I haven't finished it yet, still felt to me like a Lovecraftian horror should is Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. You can defeat the creatures, but some of them respawns, and the feeling of alien otherness is strong. Also the plot felt very Lovecraftian as well IMO.

There is also of course the Chzo Mythos, which is also heavily inspired by Lovecraft. That is an indie point and click series you can play for free. It gave me such an uncomfortable feeling!!

By the same developer is also The Consuming Shadow, which is kind of a roguelike horror adventure game. I really must play this one day, but I did watch a few playthroughs. As it is all random, the only thing this spoils is the game structure and a few circumstances, but I think it looks amazing. Like the Chzo Mythos, this is all done by one guy I am pretty sure.

Have you tried some of the more popular titles like Bloodborne?
Its one of my personal favorite games, way high up the list of Lovecraftian games.

darthcorpse
3 months ago#18
Suuns posted...
darthcorpse posted...
Suuns posted...

Ending:

Its one of my personal favorite games, way high up the list of Lovecraftian games.

Not an option for me sadly...I don't have a PS4

Suuns
3 months ago#19
darthcorpse posted...
Suuns posted...
darthcorpse posted...
Suuns posted...

Ending:

Not an option for me sadly...I don't have a PS4

Well, let me put it like this.
I bought PS4 for bloodborne.
It became My #1. It is never enough with that game.
Year and a half ago, I moved to Europe and sold my PS4 as it would serve as a distraction from my studies. Now I'm getting back and can't wait to buy PS4 again and guess what will be the first game I buy? Bloodborne

Trust me, if you can afford it, Bloodborne will be worth every penny.
Given the fact that you are a big Lovecraftian fan, not talking about all the exclusives you are gonna enjoy along the way.

If I had a neuralizer from MIB, I would wipe out my bloodborne memory just to enjoy it once again as a total newcomer. And I've beaten it more than 10 times, each time discovering something new and horrific.

darthcorpse
3 months ago#20
Suuns posted...

Well, let me put it like this.
I bought PS4 for bloodborne.
It became My #1. It is never enough with that game.
Year and a half ago, I moved to Europe and sold my PS4 as it would serve as a distraction from my studies. Now I'm getting back and can't wait to buy PS4 again and guess what will be the first game I buy? Bloodborne

Trust me, if you can afford it, Bloodborne will be worth every penny.
Given the fact that you are a big Lovecraftian fan, not talking about all the exclusives you are gonna enjoy along the way.

If I had a neuralizer from MIB, I would wipe out my bloodborne memory just to enjoy it once again as a total newcomer. And I've beaten it more than 10 times, each time discovering something new and horrific.

Lol, I don't think I have ever seen such a glowing review before!
I have watched a playthrough or two, and it was amazing. Not sure I will ever have the chance, but I really hope so...
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. What kind of horror game would you make if you were a video game developer?
  • Topic Archived