• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Horror IPs that need a new game in the series

User Info: yadehtsiyadot

yadehtsiyadot
3 months ago#91
Forbidden Siren 3.

Survival-Horror or not, RE4 is one of the most influential games in video game history. And subjectively one of the best video games ever created.
Bloodborne: https://www.youtube.com/PraiseTheHunt
Bedlam Video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthYLU5wCVu2MdhqTFlj3RQ

User Info: GTurtlte

GTurtlte
3 months ago#92
yadehtsiyadot posted...
Forbidden Siren 3.

Survival-Horror or not, RE4 is one of the most influential games in video game history. And subjectively one of the best video games ever created.

I agree Re4 is one of the best
"Welcome back, To the stage of history"

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
3 months ago#93
RE4 is in fact a fantastic game. I love lots of genres, and tbh it is still quite an intense game.

User Info: GTurtlte

GTurtlte
3 months ago#94
Re4 is one of a two games me and my bro have beat every which way so many times

The other FEAR
"Welcome back, To the stage of history"

User Info: Raycon

Raycon
3 months ago#95
lightningxiii-2 posted...
It's not 'at all' like RE 4, though!

I don't like enemies that behave with intelligence (i.e., RE4 villagers, which people who have played the game confirm are a major enemy force within The Evil Within). So I had no reason to play it.

lightningxiii-2 posted...

And survival horror is not about the camera and defective mechanics and controls.

Nowhere in my post did I ever claim fixed camera angles or pre-rendered backgrounds were essential elements of a survival-horror game. A survival-horror has one priority: to emphasize evasion over combat, typically in form of resource scarcity as a means of forcing the player to consider each encounter carefully. RE4 (as an example) rewards the player with ammo when an enemy is killed. This is the opposite of survival-horror, which is why it has its own genre (action-horror).

I have no stipulations about survival-horror using a free-rotating third person camera (hell, even RE7 was a solid entry, using first person at that). But RE2 is sacred. Much like how Mike wants a Dino Crisis remake with everything kept intact (except maybe a graphics upgrade) is exactly how I feel about RE2. If you don't feel that way about -any- game, then you will obviously never understand my position, nor be able to comprehend why we feel the way we do. I'm all for advancement of the genre in future games, but it's like remaking Jaws. Jaws should never -ever- be remade.
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

User Info: xxdark91xx

xxdark91xx
3 months ago#96
Have you guys seen that tech demo that showcased what RE4 was supposed to look like but then it turned to devil may cry?They need to make that into a game
How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?-Jaden Smith,Master Philosopher

User Info: Mykie

Mykie
3 months ago#97
xxdark91xx posted...
Have you guys seen that tech demo that showcased what RE4 was supposed to look like but then it turned to devil may cry?They need to make that into a game

Didn't that have fixed camera angles, though? Looked cool to me, but apparently not everyone is down with the old school style.
[ Team Kostornaya ]
https://i.imgtc.com/QZvHAAq.jpg | https://i.imgtc.com/CxIuSif.jpg

User Info: darkness1018

darkness1018
3 months ago#98
For those of you who like fixed cameras & old school Resident Evil games you should try The X-Files: Resist or Serve on PS2. Its plays almost exactly like the older RE games & has the voice cast from the show. Ive only played a little bit so far but am really enjoying it. Surprised I never heard of it when I first had a PS2 years ago.
Systems I Own: PS2, PS4, PSP

User Info: lightningxiii-2

lightningxiii-2
3 months ago#99
Raycon posted...
A survival-horror has one priority: to emphasize evasion over combat

I do not agree with this. This makes the game more similar to hide and seek games like Amnesia and Outlast.

Raycon posted...
typically in form of resource scarcity as a means of forcing the player to consider each encounter carefully.

I agree with this. However, you should be able to gather enough ammunition, healing items, ... through exploration. And exploration is not always safe. In a well-designed survival game, obtaining stuff could be risky sometimes which adds to the challenge. The game shouldn't give you too much ammo, just enough to kill every enemy if you want to, but you still need to be careful about how you spend your valuable inventory items. You need to be careful about your aiming, for example, and try to avoid getting hit by the enemies as much as possible.

Raycon posted...
RE4 (as an example) rewards the player with ammo when an enemy is killed. This is the opposite of survival-horror, which is why it has its own genre (action-horror).

I never said RE 4 was a survival horror game, but the Revelations games are. The enemies do not drop anything in the Revelations games.

Raycon posted...
But RE2 is sacred.

Sacred?! Sorry, I don't get it! It's just a video game. There's nothing 'sacred' about it!

Raycon posted...
I'm all for advancement of the genre in future games, but it's like remaking Jaws. Jaws should never -ever- be remade.

Sorry, I don't get it at all!
Horror fans can discuss horror games here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1482-horror-games
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
3 months ago#100
With games, I can agree that remakes sometimes make sense. For example, RE Remake for GCN/Wii is apparently flawless, though I haven't tried it yet.
That sort of remake, where the soul if the game is not changed, and in fact it more closely resembles what the creators always wanted, but we're hampered by technology, is fine.

A reimagining like RE2 remake appears to be...Well it has every right to exist, and we have every right to like it or not.

Remaking movies however is almost always wrong. It takes very little imagination to put yourself into the frame of mind of an older audience at a different time to understand what the film maker wanted to achieve. I know thus as someone who can happily watch old black and white movies.

But here is the rub. There are too many remakes and reimaginations and reboots. Why can't they make anything new? Running low on ideas? Too risk averse? Probably the latter.

I know that is somewhat contrary to the spirit of this thread, although sequels that don't retcon previous games, are not the same thing as remakes etc. Weirdly enough in games, sequels are usually improvements, but in movies they are rarely better.

So yeah...fine. remake re2, but really, was it necessary? Why not a new entry Or even a new franchise?

But do not remake movies, especially classics. It's disrespectful to the creators, unless they are still alive and actually on board...ie in those circumstances where their vision was destroyed by the publishing studios, and they have a chance to set the record straight. That isn't that common though, and probably almost never the case when a film remake is planned. I mean...a sequel to Blade Runner was fine, but if they tried to remake the original, I would've lost it!
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Horror IPs that need a new game in the series
  • Topic Archived