• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Christmas in Silent Hill (Holidays in Horror Games)

User Info: ShinChuck

ShinChuck
1 month ago#1
With the Christmas holiday nearing, I picked up Dead Rising 4 over the recent Steam sale to enjoy killing zombies in a morbid juxtaposition to the bright, cheery decorations all around, and it dawned on me that a lot of scary movies, shows, and books use holidays (as in, those beyond Halloween) as backdrops, but video games rarely do. Yet, when they do, it's a pretty great juxtaposition.

I'm not far into Dead Rising 4 to comment much on it, but the somewhat-obscure Dreamcast game Blue Stinger comes to mind as a good example. The lab/town early on is clearly in the throes of Christmas, with gaudy lights all over, pictures of Santa, Christmas trees, and a cheerful holiday tune playing incessantly over the loudspeakers. Chirpy mascots from Pen Pen TriIceLon (another obscure game) offer you prizes from mini-games.

Meanwhile, you're fighting for your life against grotesque monsters and mutated humans in gore-slick corridors.

What other examples are out there? Any that take place during other holidays? Christmas and Halloween are probably the most popular due to their overwhelming presence in the world with all the lights and decorations, but I can imagine others offering their own unique backdrops too.
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1

User Info: lightningxiii-2

lightningxiii-2
1 month ago#2
Welcome to the horror board @ShinChuck

Glad to see you here!
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity...
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1482-horror-games

User Info: JetJenkins

JetJenkins
1 month ago#3
Blue Stinger is my favorite DC game. My favorite game of all time.
"My carriage is being prepared, I will be there at dusk; the adherents of the wheel will suffer" - the Queen's Fool

User Info: White_Wing

White_Wing
1 month ago#4
Hello everyone, just saw this board on the list of popular topics.

More on topic, the first Parasite Eve comes to mind, where an outbreak of mutations takes place on Christmas Eve. It's not so much a horror as an action RPG, but it does feature some grotesque visuals. If I recall the timeline correctly, the canon storyline also ends on New Year's Day - with another very thrilling twist.

User Info: lightningxiii-2

lightningxiii-2
1 month ago#5
White_Wing posted...

Hello and welcome to the horror board @White_Wing
Horror fans can discuss horror games here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1482-horror-games
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: ShinChuck

ShinChuck
1 month ago#6
White_Wing posted...

More on topic, the first Parasite Eve comes to mind, where an outbreak of mutations takes place on Christmas Eve. It's not so much a horror as an action RPG, but it does feature some grotesque visuals. If I recall the timeline correctly, the canon storyline also ends on New Year's Day - with another very thrilling twist.

Interesting! Parasite Eve is another series that I've heard good things about but never indulged in. I might have to give it a go in the near future.
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1

User Info: GunMage_Author

GunMage_Author
1 month ago#7
Condemned: Criminal oOigins has a Christmas level.

White_Wing posted...
If I recall the timeline correctly, the canon storyline also ends on New Year's Day - with another very thrilling twist.

http://parasiteeve.wikia.com/wiki/Parasite_Eve

That says it starts on December 24th and ends on the 29th.

ShinChuck posted...
might have to give it a go in the near future.

You should!
https://i.imgur.com/ckUQB9T.gif
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Christmas in Silent Hill (Holidays in Horror Games)
  • Topic Archived