• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
  3. So this game was kind of bad, but

User Info: ohdenny88

ohdenny88
3 months ago#1
I really enjoyed it.

I played the Japanese version about 4 years ago and thought it was terrible. I saw the steel book Pal version for £8 and as I had nothing to play I thought I’d give it another shot.

There is quite a bit to be critical of but to be honest I had a good time with it. I won’t bother doing higher difficulties or going for the platinum, one run on normal was plenty. But I liked it.

It’s probably a 6/10 game but I’d give it 7.5/10 personally.

ohdenny88
3 months ago#2
I take back everything I said.

Dreadful game of the highest order which I will never finish.

Went through the excruciating, boring, drawn out end sequence with the pointless parts where you can’t damage him. Got right down to 10% of his final form health and he one shots my entire party.

No chance in hell im ever sitting through that crap again.

This is one of the worst aspects of the game in general, the untalented developers are unable to balance difficulty in any way so the game is pitifully easy apart from giving enemies the ability to one shot you. Poor design, awful balance and just a shame to see a once great series end up like that.

User Info: wpot

wpot
3 months ago#3
That is...quite a shift over the course of a day. Was that just from fighting Gabe?

IMO SO5 is the zombie left over after the life went out of the series. Star Ocean used to be a wild, raucous experience where anything could happen: it was Tri-Ace's love child. SO5 is the complete opposite: it's a game someone made because it was their job to make a game. It's there, and it's a game, but there's not really any life or spark to it. Playing it is better than sitting around playing Candy Crush or something, but that's all I can really say for it.

Just to be fair, here are some things I thought were good about it:
1) It looked nice
2) Emmerson had his moments and the characters were reasonable, if not exciting. (Read: "better than the SO4 cast"...although most everything else was better about SO4)
3) I personally thought the roles were interesting. I didn't like the battle system that they were attached to or the fact that seven people were cluttering up my fight, but roles were an interesting way to program your characters.
4) Some of the music was good (because they stole it from SO3/4).
5) It was Star Ocean-themed and there was some nostagia. Some parts were quite reminiscent of SO1, for those who actually played SO1.
...that's all that's coming to mind for me right now.
Pronounced "Whup-pot". Say it. Use it.

ohdenny88
3 months ago#4
wpot posted...
That is...quite a shift over the course of a day. Was that just from fighting Gabe?

IMO SO5 is the zombie left over after the life went out of the series. Star Ocean used to be a wild, raucous experience where anything could happen: it was Tri-Ace's love child. SO5 is the complete opposite: it's a game someone made because it was their job to make a game. It's there, and it's a game, but there's not really any life or spark to it. Playing it is better than sitting around playing Candy Crush or something, but that's all I can really say for it.

Just to be fair, here are some things I thought were good about it:
1) It looked nice
2) Emmerson had his moments and the characters were reasonable, if not exciting. (Read: "better than the SO4 cast"...although most everything else was better about SO4)
3) I personally thought the roles were interesting. I didn't like the battle system that they were attached to or the fact that seven people were cluttering up my fight, but roles were an interesting way to program your characters.
4) Some of the music was good (because they stole it from SO3/4).
5) It was Star Ocean-themed and there was some nostagia. Some parts were quite reminiscent of SO1, for those who actually played SO1.
...that's all that's coming to mind for me right now.
Heh I was kind of raging at the time. I hate artificial difficulty like that, especially when there’s significant time involved, it will probably be at least another hour if I want to attempt it again and none of it engaging...

Anyway I kind of agree. This is the first one I’ve really played since the first two, with The Second Story being an all time favourite game of mine.

There are some real glimmers of a great game here, it’s just swamped in mediocrity. I stand by having a good time for most of it. It’s not in the same league as the other games I mentioned and does feel sloppy in a lot of areas, especially those I noted in the rant post.

User Info: wpot

wpot
3 months ago#5
ohdenny88 posted...
I hate artificial difficulty like that,
Right...but if there are going to be a whopping 7 characters, a huge all-hitting attack is really the only chance an enemy in SO5 has. And to be fair, the series has always relied on huge (Spicule) attacks to add difficulty to their biggest fights. But of course 7 characters wasn't a good idea: realism shouldn't rule over gameplay.

If you liked SO5 at all and you can put up with slightly dated graphics (way better than SO1/2) you should definitely try SO3 & 4. SO4 is a much more complete and intricate version of SO5 (strange but true). It's primary (and fatal, for some people) flaw is a cast of characters that keeps getting stranger and more annoying as the game continues. The protagonist is named Edge Maverick, and he goes through a long angsty/whiny phase. If you can look past that it's a great game.

3 is my personal favorite. It has some oddities (the battle system controls take some getting used to, it starts rather slow, the invention system has annoying mechanics IF you try to break it with a FAQ and force good results, and many people don't like the twist at the end of the storyline - but I do, personally). I love the characters, music/atmosphere, storyline, battle system, sidequests, etc etc...all the core stuff. There's a sequence in the middle where the hero - Fayt - gets angsty not dissimilar to Edge, but it's overall more tolerable.

Point being, if you liked 5 OK you should love those two.
Pronounced "Whup-pot". Say it. Use it.
(edited 3 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
  3. So this game was kind of bad, but
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A