Is there any future for Star Ocean franchise plot wise?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
  3. Is there any future for Star Ocean franchise plot wise?

User Info: Velvet__Crowe

Velvet__Crowe
2 months ago#41
xiutye posted...
If you go to community (along the top, to the right of the game title search box) there's a "find a user" search box. You can punch endgame into that and see a bunch of his activity. And there does seem to be a lot of it. At the time of writing this he's got 10 posts in the last hour.

Ooooooh! Thanks. n_n
"Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously."

User Info: Cookie Bag

Cookie Bag
2 months ago#42
Yeah he posts all over the place the most asinine s***, he posted on a random topic about a random JRPG on Current Events the other day and never posted again, must be a bot or a script lmao
https://i.imgtc.com/y32HMKl.gif https://imgtc.com/i/25uvT0g.png https://i.imgtc.com/ScpGt0K.gif https://i.imgur.com/L4V663i.gif

Velvet__Crowe
2 months ago#43
Cookie Bag posted...
Yeah he posts all over the place the most asinine s***, he posted on a random topic about a random JRPG on Current Events the other day and never posted again, must be a bot or a script lmao

Sadly for me, I don’t know much (and sometimes nothing) about the topics he’s been posting on lately, so I’m not educated enough to know if what he’s saying is Level 5 Crazy or not. :3
"Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously."

User Info: Cookie Bag

Cookie Bag
2 months ago#44
I've literally seen him post in so many random boards posting such random crap its actually amazing...
https://i.imgtc.com/y32HMKl.gif https://imgtc.com/i/25uvT0g.png https://i.imgtc.com/ScpGt0K.gif https://i.imgtc.com/AuJKAON.gif

User Info: xiutye

xiutye
2 months ago#45
There's actually a lot they could do with star ocean, plot-wise. There are large gaps of time between each of the games where various stuff can happen. The federation can be threatened and saved in any number of ways.

What I think would be cool is a huge SO game with a strong time travel mechanic. Like, have the main characters find a timeship from the future, damaged and abandoned in space or on a planet. Some sorta vague information about a threat in the mostly corrupted databanks. Ya know, the standard sci-fi time travel fare. But let the player move back and forth between various time periods at will, discover the nature of the threat(s) and deal with it/them.
I've wanted another really good time travel JRPG since Chrono Trigger. There were too many core problems with FFXIII-2 for it to be really enjoyable and star ocean seems like an ideal series to do that in.
You may or may not allow the player to interact with the characters from previous SO games. Maybe even recruit some of them onto the team (at a point in their timeline after their game is over). All the fanboys could scorch their shorts over a playable Crowe.
And, of course, we could get Meracle back the same way. And the holy maiden lady Eleyna.
I mean, if they're going to stick to the same character tropes anyway why not just use established characters?

Velvet__Crowe
2 months ago#46
xiutye posted...
There's actually a lot they could do with star ocean, plot-wise. There are large gaps of time between each of the games where various stuff can happen. The federation can be threatened and saved in any number of ways.

What I think would be cool is a huge SO game with a strong time travel mechanic. Like, have the main characters find a timeship from the future, damaged and abandoned in space or on a planet. Some sorta vague information about a threat in the mostly corrupted databanks. Ya know, the standard sci-fi time travel fare. But let the player move back and forth between various time periods at will, discover the nature of the threat(s) and deal with it/them.
I've wanted another really good time travel JRPG since Chrono Trigger. There were too many core problems with FFXIII-2 for it to be really enjoyable and star ocean seems like an ideal series to do that in.
You may or may not allow the player to interact with the characters from previous SO games. Maybe even recruit some of them onto the team (at a point in their timeline after their game is over). All the fanboys could scorch their shorts over a playable Crowe.
And, of course, we could get Meracle back the same way. And the holy maiden lady Eleyna.
I mean, if they're going to stick to the same character tropes anyway why not just use established characters?

I tried to imagine this for about five seconds, then thought about the grade school quality writing in SO5 and felt like a spike had been driven into my brain having flashbacks of FFXIII-2.

I don’t think tri-Ace has the talent to pull this off and not make us want to gouge our own eyes out with sporks.

User Info: Ahogen

Ahogen
2 months ago#47
Why not just have white people write the plot? Because obviously everything made by Westerners turns into gold right with their mature stories and "grown up manly adults?"
Takes a certain level of machismo to be able to play as the little girl.
Video games turn people into ethnocentric turds.

User Info: xiutye

xiutye
2 months ago#48
Yeah, there really isn't a snowball's chance that the derp squad at tri-ace could run with that anywhere except straight into the ground.

Velvet__Crowe
2 months ago#49
Ahogen posted...
Why not just have white people write the plot? Because obviously everything made by Westerners turns into gold right with their mature stories and "grown up manly adults?"

Yeah if your takeaway from the general sentiment the tri-Ace is taking the piss + the FFXIII trilogy is trash + FFXIII-2 actually manages to make time travel boring = anything not written by white people is garbage, the problem may just be you. Absolutely no one here said, implied or alluded to this asinine idea.

It can be demonstrated by the many comments made by the various people here that each of us is in romantic love with at least one JRPG (or JRPG character). I mean, my name should be a dead giveaway that at least one chatacter in at least one JRPG captured my heart. It probably wouldn’t hurt for you to wait a few minutes after being triggered by something to post a response. You might say something a little less... demonstrably foolish.

@xiutye Yepyepmhm.

User Info: immadbro

immadbro
2 months ago#50
xiutye posted...
immadbro
I've seen people outside of GameFAQ's complaining that the series is still going on, no joke.

I believe this, not even going to ask for links because yes there are people who are weird enuf to complain about a game being made that they'd rather not be made. I guess they think some other, better thing might happen in its place? I really don't know. My main point in responding to this tho is to say that I'm not one of those people. If SO6 is made I'll do what I always do when I hear about a new JRPG; Watch the trailers, wait for it to come out (usually in Japan first) and watch some gameplay footage on youtube. Then make up my mind if it looks decent. Buy it or not based on that fairly limited data. Sometimes I get burned that way because the proof is really in playing it yourself but overall it's a chance worth taking.

You people cried about it not being as good as Star Ocean 3 and your cries have been ignored.

I cried because it was a tiny game with poorly implemented mechanics. It doesn't really matter why it was that way because, as you say, we have no sway over tri-ace anyway. Except with our wallets. Really if it's the fault of "SO3 fanboys" that SO5 was the way it was then the complaints should be leveled at people who cried about SO4 not being like SO3, not people who complain about SO5 sucking. Nothing we say about SO5 after it was made can possibly have any effect on SO5.
You're free to call me a totes confirmed true story bro SO3 fanboy till the bunnies come home. It won't change the fact that I never complained about SO4 not being like SO3. I liked SO3 and SO4 both and saw no reason why SO4 should be just like SO3 anymore than FF7 should've been just like FF6.
You can say that it's pointless for us to complain about SO5 because it's not going to change but that's pretty much a "no duh" situation. I don't think anyone here is under some illusion that somebody at tri-ace is gonna read this and make a giant patch for SO5 to add more planets, better camera control, some minigames, ect. At best what might happen is the word get back to the right folks that a tiny little game with half baked mechanics was not what we wanted, and ain't gonna be what we want next time. If there is a next time. At worst, we're talking about a game, which is what gamefaqs boards is for, talking about games. Life's not some Merry Poppins yellow brick road dreamland where everything's positive so we talk about stuff that sucks sometimes.
A lot of these threads have been like a crime scene investigation or an autopsy. We talk about what went wrong with the game because we're interested in games in general and this series specifically.

The theory seems to be that SO3 had fans who complained about SO4 not being SO3-ish enuf (to be fair to them, those two games do play and feel different so I can see how somebody could love one and not the other). So then they make SO5 to be more like SO3 in hopes that they'll get the old fanbase back. But they didn't count on a couple of things:
First: The game they made is tiny and has less features than SO3 or SO4. You can't just have short/long range attacks again, give the MC Fayt's sword style and think that makes it the return of SO3!
Second: Time has passed since SO3. A lot of the ppl who were upset by SO4 have probably moved on anyway.

You're asking for a high budget game? Are you f***ing serious? Do you honestly believe tri-Ace are in a position to deliver a high budget game when they were bought out by Nepro Japan? No criticism is going to make Star Ocean better, the only thing that can make it better is if people keep buying it. Then the series generates enough money to get more funding in the future. You don't wanna do that? Fine but don't complain that the game isn't high budget like previous games.
I'm still waiting for a Valkyrie Profile 3, when it happens, please wake me up so i can buy a ps4
3ds Friend Code: 1263-7002-2175
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
  3. Is there any future for Star Ocean franchise plot wise?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived