Is there any future for Star Ocean franchise plot wise?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
  3. Is there any future for Star Ocean franchise plot wise?

User Info: StampedeZero

StampedeZero
6 months ago#11
VicViper_Mk2 posted...
As long as the plot takes place away from the Eternal Sphere it'll be fine, otherwise it'll just be two sides fighting a meaningless conflict, never knowing that only the big man upstairs has the final word on the fate of the universe

When I played SO4, knowledge of the Eternal Sphere didn’t make whatshername any less annoying. Why would it make Claude or Rena less endearing? M’kay, maybe I phoned that one in. I feel like when you’re going to beat a dead horse, you should warm up.

In SO4, I didn’t take the battles less seriously than in any other game. For the characters themselves, it doesn’t matter if Luther is out there. They’re personal struggles matter. They would have hopes and dreams, like not dying a horrible death.

You can make an engaging story that is tightly focused. Not everything needs to be on a galactic scale. I was fairly engaged in defending the first village in SO5 minutes into the story. Though I don’t even remember the name of it anymore.

User Info: starcrunch061

starcrunch061
6 months ago#12
I don't think so, but this isn't the fault of the game, per se. Rather, it's the fault of its creators.

I agree with StampedeZero that the existence of the eternal Sphere doesn't diminish the personal meaning of the local parties in a game. I'm not playing the role of God, after all, when I play Star Ocean 4. I'm playing as Edge, or Faize, or Arumat, etc. What do they care that the universe could be halted at any time? Hell, what do I care as a person, for that matter?

But I do think that Star Ocean needs to rethink its direction. Star Ocean 5's story wasn't a mess because it was confined to a single planet. it was a mess because it had no direction, and poor writing.

If Tri-Ace wants to turn SO into a mobile game entry, with stories on par with Kemco releases, then do so. But don't put it on consoles at premium price.

User Info: Krazoa2

Krazoa2
6 months ago#13
VicViper_Mk2 posted...
With the introduction of SO3's plot, every other game's plot in the series just suddenly seem unimportant.

Spoilers: They're all video games that you, a human, are playing. None of it matters beyond what you make of it. Would you say watching TV shows is pointless because they're just flashing lights on a flat screen?
Kraz is now my favorite person on GFaqs, since literally everyone else I've seen lacks the ability to be hilarious without sounding absolutely moronic. -poe376

User Info: atrexcel

atrexcel
5 months ago#14
xiutye posted...
There's really no reason that the other games (apart from SO3) need to have anything to do with the Eternal Sphere.
In SO3 we're never really told who/what the "4D beings" actually are, beyond just "they're the people who live in the reality that the Eternal Sphere was built in". We don't know, for example, what the date is from Blair and Luther's point of view. What if it's S.D. 5000 and Gemity, Sphere Company, ect are on Moonbase? Remember that the 4th dimension is time. I won't say the writers of SO3 had that escape hatch in mind but it's there nonetheless.
The other Star Ocean games (SO1, SO2, SO4, SO5) could all belong to the past of Blair's reality. This would mean the only "fake" characters and events are those which belonged to the Eternal Sphere in SO3.

That's about the best viewpoint I've heard on the SO3 twist and it makes sense.
I agree SO5 sucked. Too short, cliche story line, item creation was a joke, no space travel, just running back and forth through the same locations a million times, boring and utterly useless PAs, one dimensional characters... And if the creator says he made it from scratch he’s a liar. I caught many sound tracks ripped off from previous SO games not to mention the enemies you fight in the field. It was a big disappointment for me. On the other hand, I think I’m one of the few (amazingly enough) fans that absolutely loved SO4 and I still cant understand what people hate about it!!?? It was a full and entertaining RPG. It had everything we all loved from SO3 with MORE space travel, better PAs, an awesome item creation system (albeit flawed due to post game material gathering), a wide variety of races for playable characters that we only just read about in SO3 and a great improvement to the battle system by introducing the rush attacks and guard/dodge features which I totally abused to kill the main bosses. There were also interesting story developments both for the main plot and what took place between characters. Sure it was a step down from SO3 but lets face it, the ending of a chronicled story like this is always going to be the highlight of any franchise. Honestly, it was after enjoying SO4 that my high expectations for SO5 were crushed. People keep comparing SO4 to SO2&3. Its a different story people!! Really, after SO3's twist, it kind of ends any hope for future game story lines, what did people expect?? The only way to revive the series was to do a story line featuring the start of it all. And with the viewpoint expressed by Xiutye, SO4 gives an interesting perspective as to if the missing procedure ect is an Eternal Sphere glitch/virus/antivirus or if it’s the basis of the reality that lead to the 4D beings creating their own world simulation. In terms of story, SO4 fits right in with the rest of them and I really wish they built upon it for SO5 rather than giving us a half-baked, hollow likeliness to the So3 legend (regarding the 80% gameplay being done on 1 planet, with a few twists near the end).

User Info: immadbro

immadbro
5 months ago#15
xiutye posted...
There's really no reason that the other games (apart from SO3) need to have anything to do with the Eternal Sphere.
In SO3 we're never really told who/what the "4D beings" actually are, beyond just "they're the people who live in the reality that the Eternal Sphere was built in". We don't know, for example, what the date is from Blair and Luther's point of view. What if it's S.D. 5000 and Gemity, Sphere Company, ect are on Moonbase? Remember that the 4th dimension is time. I won't say the writers of SO3 had that escape hatch in mind but it's there nonetheless.
The other Star Ocean games (SO1, SO2, SO4, SO5) could all belong to the past of Blair's reality. This would mean the only "fake" characters and events are those which belonged to the Eternal Sphere in SO3.

Of course it wouldn't bother me either way because I don't take these stories seriously enough for it to matter (they don't warrant it and they're just the arbitrary reason to kill monsters and customize gear). If they wanted to retcon SO3 "just because", I'd give them a total pass on that so long as it resulted in a good game from a content, gameplay and mechanical point of view.

However I'm reasonably sure that Velvet__Crowe has the right of it and their well of talent is dry. I'd love for us to be wrong about that but the evidence is still sitting on my shelf, defiling a poor blu-ray disc.

Indelecio: "You will be deleted"

Did you completely miss that bit? He said "DELETED", not killed, not destroyed "DELETED"
. I cannot understand how people never managed to understand this. Star Ocean 2 foreshadowed the plot twist before Star Ocean 3 was even a thing.
I'm still waiting for a Valkyrie Profile 3, when it happens, please wake me up so i can buy a ps4
3ds Friend Code: 1263-7002-2175

User Info: xiutye

xiutye
5 months ago#16
The whole series has a very tongue in cheek attitude about the 4th wall. I really don't see that little things here and there (like the well in SO4 that says you're in the wrong game) are meant to be taken "seriously". Of course if something in SO2 did foreshadow SO3's plot I personally would've missed it because I was forcing myself to play that game just so I could say I'd played it and probably not paying much attention. When it was over I got rid of it and spent the next week washing its terrible battle system out of my memory by replaying much better games.

I can see the star ocean assets and universe being used in some sort of worthless pay to win mobile game but that wouldn't be a real SO game (even less so than SO5 was). As far as a true SO6, not going to happen no matter what pie in the sky thing some person or other happened to say in an interview. Where the money gonna come from? Where them dollas at, yo? I love Star Ocean and at this point if I were holding the purse strings even I wouldn't green light a 6th game. Not without a lot of changes to the staff.

immadbro
5 months ago#17
xiutye posted...
The whole series has a very tongue in cheek attitude about the 4th wall. I really don't see that little things here and there (like the well in SO4 that says you're in the wrong game) are meant to be taken "seriously". Of course if something in SO2 did foreshadow SO3's plot I personally would've missed it because I was forcing myself to play that game just so I could say I'd played it and probably not paying much attention. When it was over I got rid of it and spent the next week washing its terrible battle system out of my memory by replaying much better games.

I can see the star ocean assets and universe being used in some sort of worthless pay to win mobile game but that wouldn't be a real SO game (even less so than SO5 was). As far as a true SO6, not going to happen no matter what pie in the sky thing some person or other happened to say in an interview. Where the money gonna come from? Where them dollas at, yo? I love Star Ocean and at this point if I were holding the purse strings even I wouldn't green light a 6th game. Not without a lot of changes to the staff.

Dude that already exists it's called Star Ocean Anamnesis.

There is going to be a Star Ocean 6 but you fanboys aren't going to like it because it's going to be like Star Ocean 5, part of the plan to keep the budget low in order to get the series' attention so that it can eventually get a higher budget in the long term.
I'm still waiting for a Valkyrie Profile 3, when it happens, please wake me up so i can buy a ps4

User Info: xiutye

xiutye
5 months ago#18
Don't know anything about anamnesis, and since it's a mobile thing I don't need to. The size of the budget wasn't the problem with SO5, it was the way they wasted it on dumb ideas instead of actually building a game with a decent amount of content.
It would be possible to make a really good SO6 with a small budget, but not for the people who made SO5, because they didn't know what they were doing. Apart from a couple of oddball, deluded fanboys nobody likes SO5 and for good reasons. Their rules seemed to be: 1: Established, functional mechanics? Get rid of them and throw something new in there without even testing it or thinking about how it'll work.
2: Assets from previous games? Keep all of it, that way we don't have to pay for new ones since we've squandered all our time and money on gimmicks.

As far as getting attention goes... if they want positive attention for the series the last thing they'd do is try to repeat the abject failure of SO5. Nobody looks at a 58 metacritic score and says "let's try to capture that lighting in a bottle again!"

User Info: Velvet__Crowe

Velvet__Crowe
5 months ago#19
xiutye posted...
Don't know anything about anamnesis, and since it's a mobile thing I don't need to. The size of the budget wasn't the problem with SO5, it was the way they wasted it on dumb ideas instead of actually building a game with a decent amount of content.
It would be possible to make a really good SO6 with a small budget, but not for the people who made SO5, because they didn't know what they were doing. Apart from a couple of oddball, deluded fanboys nobody likes SO5 and for good reasons. Their rules seemed to be: 1: Established, functional mechanics? Get rid of them and throw something new in there without even testing it or thinking about how it'll work.
2: Assets from previous games? Keep all of it, that way we don't have to pay for new ones since we've squandered all our time and money on gimmicks.

As far as getting attention goes... if they want positive attention for the series the last thing they'd do is try to repeat the abject failure of SO5. Nobody looks at a 58 metacritic score and says "let's try to capture that lighting in a bottle again!"

And I mean it can’t be stressed enough that SO5 isn’t just a mediocre Star Ocean game, it’s a mediocre JRPG of the same class amd calibre as, dare I say Omega Quintet?

If they’re trying to draw attention to the series, they need something that will capture people like P5, FFXV, or Kingdom Hearts. The people at tri-Ace have nowhere near the requisite talent to pull that off.
"Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously."

immadbro
5 months ago#20
xiutye posted...

Except Star Ocean 5 was a solid game so the next one will probably be just as good if not better.

Believe whatever you like but you fanboys have lost, Star Ocean 6 will happen, cry about it amongst yourselves if you want but I'll be playing the 6th entry and will take great pleasure in doing so.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
  3. Is there any future for Star Ocean franchise plot wise?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived