• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
  3. Is there any future for Star Ocean franchise plot wise?

User Info: VicViper_Mk2

VicViper_Mk2
1 year ago#1
With the introduction of SO3's plot, every other game's plot in the series just suddenly seem unimportant. The main antagonist of the series (even the two angel superboss), they all think they're own goal is supreme, yet they have no idea that it is Luther whom sits above them all. You just can't take them seriously when you know that they themselves are still just another insignificant small cog in a big machine.

The plot needs to go beyond SO3's cage, otherwise everything just seems pointless.

User Info: Velvet__Crowe

Velvet__Crowe
1 year ago#2
VicViper_Mk2 posted...
With the introduction of SO3's plot, every other game's plot in the series just suddenly seem unimportant. The main antagonist of the series (even the two angel superboss), they all think they're own goal is supreme, yet they have no idea that it is Luther whom sits above them all. You just can't take them seriously when you know that they themselves are still just another insignificant small cog in a big machine.

The plot needs to go beyond SO3's cage, otherwise everything just seems pointless.

With the conclusion of SO3’s plot, there are an infinite number of directions left to go in. I’m baffled by the fact that so many people tunnel in on the midgame plot twist and completely forget how the game resolved itself.

So yeah. Star Ocean has a future. But no, I don’t think that the current tri-Ace has the talent to produce a single game, of any kind, of SO3’s quality. Nevermind competently handling a Star Ocean 6, if the AIDS needle that is Integrity and Faithlessness is the metric we have to go by.
"Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously."

User Info: Core1019

Core1019
1 year ago#3
VicViper_Mk2 posted...

It really needs to. It was good that they actually acknowledged 3's existence in this with references to the eternal sphere and the moonbase research lab, but they need to do a game actually set after 3 to really sort things out there.
This signature is currently wasting several lines of pixels on your screen.
You're welcome.

User Info: StampedeZero

StampedeZero
1 year ago#4
Shouldn't be too hard to set a story after SO3. Show us the Timegates aren't working. Add a couple lines of dialogue to establish that this is the way the universe is now. There are more extreme ways to take the story, if they want to redefine SO.

Either way, we need characters we actually care about dealing with adversity. Sadly, that's probably too tall an order for tri-Ace.

User Info: Valkyreo

Valkyreo
1 year ago#5
VicViper_Mk2 posted...

I dont get people like this.

Have you even finished SO 3? Have you seen the conclusion? Its much more bigger then 'avatars in a game', that was the whole point. They went beyond what Luther created!

For me, if there was no 'twist' the game wouldnt be so good in my eyes, at least the story, it gave so much richness and deepness, and a lot of to think about!

User Info: xiutye

xiutye
1 year ago#6
https://i.imgur.com/2qddUEb.jpg

User Info: VicViper_Mk2

VicViper_Mk2
1 year ago#7
Valkyreo posted...
VicViper_Mk2 posted...

I dont get people like this.

Have you even finished SO 3? Have you seen the conclusion? Its much more bigger then 'avatars in a game', that was the whole point. They went beyond what Luther created!

For me, if there was no 'twist' the game wouldnt be so good in my eyes, at least the story, it gave so much richness and deepness, and a lot of to think about!

Of course I finished the game, and I do get the whole point about growing beyond the creator's programming. It's just that every other games to date is set in the Eternal Sphere, and when you already know it's ultimate conclusion, any other plot before it just feels less important.

Don't get me wrong, I too like 3's plot twist. But the protagonist and antagonist of the other games don't know that. How do you take antagonist like the Ten Wisemen and the Missing Procedure seriously when you already know that nothing they do actually has any real lasting impact because Luther can shape the Eternal Sphere to his will. And then there's the protagonists and their struggle, advancement, history, all under the mercy of Luther whom can erase it at will.

As long as the plot takes place away from the Eternal Sphere it'll be fine, otherwise it'll just be two sides fighting a meaningless conflict, never knowing that only the big man upstairs has the final word on the fate of the universe

User Info: Valkyreo

Valkyreo
1 year ago#8
VicViper_Mk2 posted...
ou take antagonist like the Ten Wisemen and the Missing Procedure seriously when you already know that nothing they do actually has any real lasting impact because Luther can shape the Ete

How do i take them seriously? I just do to be honest, i don't even think about the whole Luther thing in other games. I love SO2 plot and story, never had any issues of 'not taking them seriously because this happened in that game which is in the same universe'.

But u know, i could say, how do you take any game seriously when u know they are all just games created by us? For me, it's just stupid thinking!

User Info: xiutye

xiutye
1 year ago#9
There's really no reason that the other games (apart from SO3) need to have anything to do with the Eternal Sphere.
In SO3 we're never really told who/what the "4D beings" actually are, beyond just "they're the people who live in the reality that the Eternal Sphere was built in". We don't know, for example, what the date is from Blair and Luther's point of view. What if it's S.D. 5000 and Gemity, Sphere Company, ect are on Moonbase? Remember that the 4th dimension is time. I won't say the writers of SO3 had that escape hatch in mind but it's there nonetheless.
The other Star Ocean games (SO1, SO2, SO4, SO5) could all belong to the past of Blair's reality. This would mean the only "fake" characters and events are those which belonged to the Eternal Sphere in SO3.

Of course it wouldn't bother me either way because I don't take these stories seriously enough for it to matter (they don't warrant it and they're just the arbitrary reason to kill monsters and customize gear). If they wanted to retcon SO3 "just because", I'd give them a total pass on that so long as it resulted in a good game from a content, gameplay and mechanical point of view.

However I'm reasonably sure that Velvet__Crowe has the right of it and their well of talent is dry. I'd love for us to be wrong about that but the evidence is still sitting on my shelf, defiling a poor blu-ray disc.

User Info: Velvet__Crowe

Velvet__Crowe
1 year ago#10
A very nihilistic view is being taken here, and it is making me kind of smad.

Let’s remember what the Eternal Sphere is, shall we? It’s the VR game to end all VR games for the inhabitants of 4D space. A place in which an infinite number of experiences can be had by the people of 4D space through a hyper realistic simulation.

What makes us, the real world player different from a 4D player? Do you think 4D persons consider the causes they commit to in the simulation less meaningful, just because it’s a simulation? Do you take your games seriously when you play them?

The stories it is possible to write inside the vast confines of the Eternal Sphere are limitless. If you choose to consider them meaningless because the Eternal Sphere is a toy (just like every PS4 game sitting on your shelf) I suppose that’s on you. But they’re not. The games are still fun. The stories they tell, the characters they present are still interesting. We’ll pretend SO5 didn’t happen here.

But, like I said before. Star Ocean’s future isn’t limited by Star Ocean’s universe. It’s limited by tri-Ace’s ability to make games. Exist Archive and Star Ocean 5 are damning indictments of that ability.
"Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously."
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
  3. Is there any future for Star Ocean franchise plot wise?
  • Topic Archived