• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
  3. Few Questions(Possible Spoilers)

User Info: DsPsofLife

DsPsofLife
1 year ago#1
I finished the story mission last night with only 1 person left alive(Nosuri). I'm not sure if i was under-leveled or what, but my damage seemed very low. I think my party was around levels 27-30 with a few in the teens. One thing I noticed is that magic damage and healing always seems to be much lower than the predicted number, but melee and ranged seem to be the same or more(with crits). The twins seem to have the biggest difference, if it shows 500-600, they only do around half of that. Is that normal or is there some trick to casting?

I never really figured out the battle system and how to do full combos. Sometimes it will look like I can do a final strike, but I only do the first few hits and other times some of the buffs show they will heal, but they only give the buff. Am I doing something wrong with the combos?

I tried the first Dream stage and wiped pretty badly, my team is barely doing any damage and they were mostly 1-shotting me. I read earlier that you keep gained xp by choosing retry, so that might help leveling up more. I want to have the 2x accessories for MoT.

User Info: minneyar

minneyar
1 year ago#2
The predicted damage is assuming you do the full action chain, so I suspect that if you're seeing full damage for melee & ranged attacks but not for magic and healing, you're getting the timing of the button presses wrong and are failing the chain. When timing button presses, there are three possible outcomes: if the timing is perfect, you get a crit and do extra damage and get extra zeal; if it's close, you do normal damage and continue the chain; and if it's not close, the chain stops early. For any AC that has a circle animation, you want to press and hold the button right after the circle appears, then release it just before it's full. If the circle fades and looks like it falls down the screen, you got the timing wrong.

To do a final strike, you must be in overzeal and get the timing correct on every attack in the AC. If you miss one and it ends early, you won't do the FS.

Note that pressing "X" at the right time in a combo will get a crit and continue the AC, but pressing Triangle will get a crit and stop the AC. You might be thinking "Why would I ever want to stop an AC?" -- if you look at the individual attacks in every AC, note how each of them has a zeal gain and a zeal cost. The later attacks in a chain frequently have a higher cost than a gain, which means you can gain more zeal if you stop an AC early. Controlling your zeal gain so that you go into overzeal and get an extra turn at the right time can be very important.

The battle system actually has a fair amount of complexity to it, but Mask of Deception doesn't do a great job of explaining it (Mask of Truth actually has much better tutorials), and the main game is so easy that you don't have to figure it out. But, here's a few tips...

At high levels, the gameplay in MoD is basically rocket tag. You will one-shot the enemy and they will one-shot you. (well, your tanks might be able to survive two hits) The strategy is all about luring enemies out one at a time and then killing them before they can kill you. For that reason, it's best to invest your BP primarily in Speed with a little bit in Attack. HP and Defense are mostly useless. Kiwru and Uruuru & Saraana are basically the best units in the game, because Kiwru can attack twice per round if he doesn't move, and U&S do a huge amount of damage to a large area. Nosuri is also useful, but not quite as powerful as Kiwru in terms of pure damage when Kiwru can just sit still and have somebody else lure enemies to him.

Scrolls that let you dodge attacks are better than ones that increase defense, since increasing defense still might not be enough to survive. Otherwise, codexes that increase attack/speed are good. Note that an element is "activated" on a map if its elemental icon is glowing; when that's the case, equipping Nature's Harmony on a unit with an activated element will give them a big boost in stats. When the twins summon Mothmoth (the final attack in their first AC), simply having Mothmoth on the field causes dark to be activated, so they're a good unit to put that on if there are no other activated elements.

Also make sure you pay attention to elemental advantages. When it's a unit's turn, if there's a green "Adv" balloon above an enemy's head, that means they will do more damage to and take less damage from that enemy; similarly, a red "Dis" balloon means they have disadvantage and will take more damage from and do less damage to that enemy. It can make a big difference, and you'll want to arrange your units so that they can attack enemies they have advantage against.

Finally, if you need to grind BP, the last story stage (Vurai) is the best place to do that; it's pretty fast when you're a few levels higher than him, and you just need to clear the stage as fast as possible to get BP.

User Info: DsPsofLife

DsPsofLife
1 year ago#3
I turned on the auto-chain and it made things easier. I replayed the last few story missions to build some BP to boost attack.

I got through about the first Dream 7-8 stages. I had to replay a few since I didn't setup a favorable formation and had a better idea of what to expect. I gained about 10 levels for the 8 I normally used(poor Ougi and Jachdwalt). Hopefully I can get to level 50 by the time I finish all of the Dream stages.

The first one was the hardest so far. I would of died if it wasn't for Atuy's double move to stay away from the last few enemies, then picking them off 1 by 1. I had to retry the one with Maroro also since the formation I used cause all the enemies to go before me and it made Maroro attack 3 times in a row.

User Info: minneyar

minneyar
1 year ago#4
You should be able to hit level 50 as long as you have one character that you use in every stage (Kiwru for me) so that they'll constantly get bonus XP. If you cycle people out, you'll probably end up with somebody at 48 or 49, and you can grind them to 50 by just starting the last stage with them, hitting a single enemy, and resetting (so you don't have to sit through all of the enemy's turns), but it's kind of annoying.

After finishing them, you'll probably still have to grind for a while to get max BP, but that doesn't take very long.
  1. Boards
  2. Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
  3. Few Questions(Possible Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived