• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
  3. Am i the only one who thinks that the main story acrs were rushed? (SPOILERS)

User Info: 666Kefka666

666Kefka666
1 year ago#1
Don't get me wrong, i loved the game, but am i the only one who thought the major story arcs in this game were resolved before they really began?

I mean the Uzurusha war was just there to show off the ower of the Pillars, the Uzurushians including Gundhurua were just uninspired villains withou much backstory and then there is the deus ex machina plot device Zeguni, who had absolutely no backstory at all. I would have loved to see more of his past and more of him and his daughter Entua. Before Uzurusha was defeated, before Entua became a submissive lapdog of Yamato. That was definitely the weakest ark of all.

Tuskur... Same story... We get to see some Tuskur characters (that i suppose were introduced in the very first Utawarerumono game), then the Mikado dies... and the war is over. Then the party gets attacked by Zombi Uzurushians... No explanation why...

And before that the backstory of Haku was dumped in one of the cheapest deus ex machina plot devices ever. Many things about the world before that were only mentioned briefly like the satellite thing that was used as a weapon against Tatari, how the Mikado build his empire, what the inhabitants of this world really are.

If the game spent even half of the time it used for slice of life filler, for the main story arcs and actually explaining things... This would have been the best story driven game this year.

Especially since the final arc was not only absolutely amazing but among the best political dramas i've seen in a game. The finale ranks in my top 3 of best game endings actually.

And don't think i'm bashing the game, because i really fell in love with it and the characters especially, but the deus ex machinas, plotholes and incredibly bad pacing hold down what could have been a masterpiece.

User Info: minneyar

minneyar
1 year ago#2
I agree that the Uzurussha arc felt a little rushed, but I don't mind that so much because it's not really that important to the overall story of the series; that arc mostly just happened in order to introduce Jachtwaldt and Entua.

As for the others, keep in mind that this game is really just the prologue for Mask of Truth, which is much longer. You'll get resolutions to all of your loose ends there.
(message deleted)

User Info: MR_Soren

MR_Soren
1 year ago#4
666Kefka666 posted...
I mean the Uzurusha war was just there to show off the ower of the Pillars, the Uzurushians including Gundhurua were just uninspired villains withou much backstory and then there is the deus ex machina plot device Zeguni, who had absolutely no backstory at all.

I agree, this arc could have been fleshed out more, but, as you said, the true purpose of this war was to show off the pillar generals and akuruturuka (and make a new ruin available for exploration). In that, it was successful.

I think Aquaplus wrote a lot more story than was actually used in the game, and they probably have more material about Zeguni that simply didn't fit into the plot. They've talked about possibly telling some prequel stories, so you may someday learn more about characters like Zeguni. As for Entua, well, let's just say that her story isn't done yet, but her father's death is an important moment in her life.

Tuskur... Same story... We get to see some Tuskur characters (that i suppose were introduced in the very first Utawarerumono game), then the Mikado dies... and the war is over. Then the party gets attacked by Zombi Uzurushians... No explanation why...

The war with Tuskur serves it's purpose in advancing the plot, possibly in more ways than you realize. I suspected things right when the invasion was announced that were eventually confirmed in Mask of Truth. I won't say more because I don't want to spoil.

Also bear in mind that many skirmishes were fought prior to your group sending supplies. It was a longer ordeal than the game makes it look, but your involvement was quite limited.

The Zombie Uzurushans are a mystery that will be explained later, but Mask of Deception provides enough clues to solve it immediately.

And before that the backstory of Haku was dumped in one of the cheapest deus ex machina plot devices ever. Many things about the world before that were only mentioned briefly like the satellite thing that was used as a weapon against Tatari, how the Mikado build his empire, what the inhabitants of this world really are.

Yes, the Red Pill scene. I enjoyed that part. It's pretty normal for a story like this to drop clues here and there before finally showing you everything, isn't it? Except they don't ever show you everything. You can never let people see too much behind the curtain, because once all of the mysteries are explicitly explained, there's nothing left to engage the imagination.

If the game spent even half of the time it used for slice of life filler, for the main story arcs and actually explaining things... This would have been the best story driven game this year.

Especially since the final arc was not only absolutely amazing but among the best political dramas i've seen in a game. The finale ranks in my top 3 of best game endings actually.

And don't think i'm bashing the game, because i really fell in love with it and the characters especially, but the deus ex machinas, plotholes and incredibly bad pacing hold down what could have been a masterpiece.

I think you fell in love with the characters because of the slice of life segments, your real issue is probably with the pacing. The pacing was great up until you reach the capital, but I agree that it faltered when they started dumping too much information without some action to break things up. It picks up again once the Uzurushan war begins. If you combine Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth, MoD is essentially the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the story. It continues building up from this point. More things will be explained, but you will need to figure out some stuff on your own. There are things you should have already figured out that you appear to be missing.
Let's Attack Aggressively!
  1. Boards
  2. Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
  3. Am i the only one who thinks that the main story acrs were rushed? (SPOILERS)
  • Topic Archived