• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter Stories
  3. List of Monster Gene, their Skills & Effects (JP & English translation)

User Info: mana_ran

mana_ran
2 years ago#1
I translated the monster genes and their associated skill & effects.

It can be viewed here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7jYRtuS38G8XzRxNU5RVGp2ejg

Notes:

1. Some seems to be dummy genes (not used in actual game). They are marked in yellow.

2. There is one redundant gene occupying two places: 'Tigrex Killer Genes'. As far as I can see they work the same way.

About Skill

1. 'Skill' are either active (use command to activate it in battle) or passive (always activate or activate under certain condition)

2. When skill of similar type is in the same monster, only the higher tier one will work; For example, if you have two genes: one with Fire Attack Up (s) and one with Fire Attack Up (m) passive skill, only the Fire Attack Up (m) will have effect. It does not stack with Fire Attack Up (s).

3. Skill of similar type do not stack. In the same example above, even if you have two genes with both Fire Attack Up (m), the result will be as if you have one gene with Fire Attack (m). Doesn't stack.

About Effect

1. Effect stacks. If you have effects Fire Res + 3 and Fire Res + 2 in two different genes, the overall result is Fire Res +5. Similarly, two Fire Res + 2 gene will give Fire Res + 4 total.

2. Effect doesn't need any minimum point to activate; they can also be placed anywhere. In the example above, two genes with Fire Res + 2 can be in any location and the result is always Fire Res + 4

About Bingo

1. By Lining up gene of the same type or element in 3 straight/diagonal line you achieve the bingo bonus. The bonus will depend on what gene you line up. For example if you line up three Fire elemental gene, you get Fire Attack bonus (increase attack power of fire element). If you line up three Power type genes, you get Power Attack Bonus (increase damage from your Power type attack), and so on...

2. Bingo Doesn't stack. Even if you line up 5 Fire type gene in an L shape, or fill the whole 9 slot with Fire type gene, the effect is still one Fire Attack bonus, as if you have lined up only three of them.

3. You can mix and match element and type. For example if you line up 5 genes in an L shape, with the vertical part being fire type - you'll get Fire Attack bonus. Now if the one in the bottom left is also Power type, and you line up power gene (regardless of element) horizontally at bottom-center and bottom-right, you'll get Power Attack bonus in addition to the Fire bonus.

4. Other bonus aside from 6 elements (Fire, Water, Thunder, Ice, Dragon, and non-elemental) and 3 attack type (Power, Speed, Technique) is the 'whatever bingo' (occurs as long as you line up at least 3 of anything of similar type or element). This increase your monster's HP.

User Info: Lene

Lene
2 years ago#2
mana_ran!
I've been waiting for this on "that other site"!
So glad you finally finished it! Thanks a lot and keep up your amazing work!

User Info: Koyorimon

Koyorimon
2 years ago#3
Are you sure about X Power Up L and X Power Up M not stacking? On my monsters' passive skill screens, it will show both L and M (dai and chuu) if it has both genes. The weaker one doesn't seem to be faded out, either. Have you tested performing attacks with both and with one to see if they truly don't stack? (I haven't, I just assumed it would be faded like in core Monhun.)

Edit: Don't forget that three non-element genes give speed+1 bingo.

User Info: mana_ran

mana_ran
2 years ago#4
Tested it. The skills are not greyed out, but their effect does not stack either.

1. Had one monster with Fire Attack (m) + Fire Attack (s)

2. Another with just Fire Attack (m)

3. Both have equal fire attack points (Effect), using the same fire move

4. They do the same amount of damage (with minor..like 1 point difference, guessing some random number goes into damage calculation as well)

To me, this make sense in terms of design, otherwise you could build a really OP monster by simply stacking the same skill over and over (Attack up L for example); people would not get creative with bingo effects or making monster with various useful skill. It's detrimental to the game's fun-factor.

This Japanese FAQs also explained the same restriction:
https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjvyo3TrfLPAhVJvo8KHQn4BEgQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fxn--mhs-gh8fn72e.xyz%2Fpost-2541%2F&usg=AFQjCNFPJwRjD4PKbBG8rb73k2UsPRhH1A

BTW, you can do the exact above with EFFECTS (not skill). Just stack gene with effect attack up + 1/2/3 anywhere and see your damage goes up; the result is much less severe than stacking skill though, so I guess the designer still allow some degree of min-maxing.

I guess this means skill will pop up and not greyed out regardless of whether its effect is active or not.

On a side note, you can do experiment like these with enough monsters by transferring genes, test the damage, then exit the game without saving to conserve your 'gene pool' (lol)

User Info: KinseiNoShisha

KinseiNoShisha
2 years ago#5
Edit: Ninja'd.

What I'm curious about is if the combo skills (Say... Dragon Attack Up (L) and Dragon Scale) will stack with one another.
Cheating? Who said anything about cheating? I'm just enhancing my chances of winning, there's a difference.

Koyorimon
2 years ago#6
Yea, sensibility wise, I figured it wouldn't stack. I was just too lazy to test it out. Thanks for the effort.

What do you mean by effects, exactly? If I want more power I should use genes that have effects like "power attack up X, etc.? Meaning, use similar but not the same passive effects, right?

User Info: KinseiNoShisha

KinseiNoShisha
2 years ago#7
I think they mean the effects on a gene, like... Reus has the Fire Resist (M) gene and that has the added effects of Fire Resist +2 (at the bottom of the gene's info). Those effects are all cumulative.
Cheating? Who said anything about cheating? I'm just enhancing my chances of winning, there's a difference.

Koyorimon
2 years ago#8
Oh, she meant the raw numbers. Yea, ofc. Gots ta' have da noombahs.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter Stories
  3. List of Monster Gene, their Skills & Effects (JP & English translation)
  • Topic Archived