• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  3. Dmz or port forwarding

User Info: itachitheone

itachitheone
3 years ago#1
Which one is better? Or does it really matter?
When I port forward my ping fluctuates a lot an its from 30-180 but I'm able to get kills a go positive. When I dmz and portfoward my ping is a steady 34-60 but it's laggy and it seems like it takes for to get a kill and the enemy out shoots me every time.
Psn: ArrogantVicious destiny ps4 ver. 32/32/32 warlock, hunter, titan
xbox Gt ArrogantVicious destiny xbox ver 30 hunter 3x

User Info: ImNotOperative

ImNotOperative
3 years ago#2
Two things:

Since this game allows you to see packet loss (Start, network settings, packet loss monitor) if there's no packet loss then no connections are being blocked and therefore DMZ or PFWing is irrelevant. Opening ports/closing wouldn't make a packet lag, it would either allow it to go through or block it. However, if you have certain ports blocked, which in turn would restrict your NAT, then you would be placed with other people of the similar restricted NAT type which would mean a worse connection.

With that being said, DMZ would theoretically give you better chances of having a good connection because you're placing your console outside of the firewall, where with port forwarding you're just poking holes in your firewall. For this game at the moment I'd recommend putting your Xbox in the DMZ because it appears this game is using additional ports that Ghosts and AW didn't use.
The most elitist player on GameFaqs, bar-none.

User Info: itachitheone

itachitheone
3 years ago#3
ImNotOperative posted...
Two things:

Since this game allows you to see packet loss (Start, network settings, packet loss monitor) if there's no packet loss then no connections are being blocked and therefore DMZ or PFWing is irrelevant. Opening ports/closing wouldn't make a packet lag, it would either allow it to go through or block it. However, if you have certain ports blocked, which in turn would restrict your NAT, then you would be placed with other people of the similar restricted NAT type which would mean a worse connection.

With that being said, DMZ would theoretically give you better chances of having a good connection because you're placing your console outside of the firewall, where with port forwarding you're just poking holes in your firewall. For this game at the moment I'd recommend putting your Xbox in the DMZ because it appears this game is using additional ports that Ghosts and AW didn't use.

Thanks, yeah when I just Dmz and stop port forwarding my ping stayed at a steady 54 an hit detection wasn't wonky all the time
Psn: ArrogantVicious destiny ps4 ver. 32/32/32 warlock, hunter, titan
xbox Gt ArrogantVicious destiny xbox ver 30 hunter 3x

ImNotOperative
3 years ago#4
itachitheone posted...
ImNotOperative posted...
Two things:

Thanks, yeah when I just Dmz and stop port forwarding my ping stayed at a steady 54 an hit detection wasn't wonky all the time

Yeah my guess is your NAT went from Moderate to Open and now you get connected to better hosts. Like I said I don't know what additional ports this game requires but I hope they publish them.

User Info: zxrax_alt_1

zxrax_alt_1
3 years ago#5
ImNotOperative posted...
there's no packet loss then no connections are being blocked

You are wrong. That's not what packet loss means.

edit: now that I'm not mid-game. Having open ports and having no packet loss are unrelated. Packet loss is the result of bad signal quality, meaning that a packet that was sent to your system just fell out into internet limbo and was not properly received. Packets being received on certain ports is an all-or-nothing sort of thing, and if you can actually play online then you don't need to open any ports to reduce packet loss.
http://twitch.tv/vraage | GT: v Raage
i7-3820 @4.75GHz | GTX 780 | Corsair 650D | Custom Watercooling | 2x U2312HM | http://imgur.com/a/IlgFJ

User Info: Silver17

Silver17
3 years ago#6
ImNotOperative posted...
Two things:

No packet loss here, but one thing that's interesting is how much ping is fluctuating. Even on wired one second I'll be at 10-15 and the next I could be at 90+.

IDK, I'm losing too many gunfights that I know that I should be winning (like a lot), and never struggled this much since BO2 launched before the search by best connection actually worked, and then BOOM I was going from negative matches to 2-3+KD matches. I know that this is a beta and all, but I feel like I'm constantly on the wrong side of lag comp... *sigh*
"Pretty Women Make Us Buy Beer. Ugly Women Make Us DRINK BEER!" - Al Bundy

User Info: kingbahamut83

kingbahamut83
3 years ago#7
I just turned off my router/modems firewall and I've been fine. Except for the one freeze up.
Posted with GameRaven 3.0.9

ImNotOperative
3 years ago#8
zxrax_alt_1 posted...
ImNotOperative posted...
there's no packet loss then no connections are being blocked

You are wrong. That's not what packet loss means.

edit: now that I'm not mid-game. Having open ports and having no packet loss are unrelated. Packet loss is the result of bad signal quality, meaning that a packet that was sent to your system just fell out into internet limbo and was not properly received. Packets being received on certain ports is an all-or-nothing sort of thing, and if you can actually play online then you don't need to open any ports to reduce packet loss.

True, but if he had a port blocking a connection he would get 100% packet loss, which I'm assuming is also restricting people's NAT type. I don't know if that would show up in the in game monitor or not.

User Info: Lucky1ex

Lucky1ex
3 years ago#9
How do you dmz?
Gamertag-L U C IK Y 1
Psn: Luckyex1

ImNotOperative
3 years ago#10
Lucky1ex posted...
How do you dmz?

It's an option in your router settings. You'll first want to give your Xbox a static IP so it's IP address doesn't change, then add it's IP to the DMZ. http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  3. Dmz or port forwarding
  • Topic Archived