• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  3. Potential easy and free way to decrease lag on your PS4

User Info: FirebyrdXX

FirebyrdXX
5 years ago#1
So I have Fios and 50 down and 15 up speeds with ping averaging 19-22 mms to the closest server, yet I constantly experienced rubber banding and lag compensation on my end. I can play during the day when nobody else is home with a wired connection and this still happens.

Well out of idle curiosity and I went to my connection settings and then looked up MTU, as I didn't recognize what it was. It was set to a value of 1500. From what I looked up my basic understanding is that it affects the packet size of how the data is transmitted over the internet. So a higher value means fewer, albeit bigger packets to send. Ideally, you want the value to be as high as your router can reasonably tolerate to have to send fewer packets. The thing is, I think the default is too high for mine at least because you can experience bottlenecking if the packets are too big, which can affect rubberbanding from inconsistent transfers.

Point is, I saw a few places suggesting to lower it to some magic value around 1375 to 1400. Well I tried 1400 and I s*** you not, the increase in performance was immediately apparent. Before, the PS4 estimated download speeds of about 15 mbs, but changing this value doubled it to 30! The connection was consistent the entire time! I wasn't getting shot around corners. Hell, I could even quickscope people! I finished my remaining Locus bloodthirsties in two matches!

This remained to be the case for the last 10 matches I played before stopping. I'm aware it could potentially be a coincidence or placebo but I'll be taking note over the long haul. So anyway if you've had similar issues, I encourage you to take a look at this setting and hopefully you can receive a similar performance boost. :)

User Info: Kontroll

Kontroll
5 years ago#2
FirebyrdXX posted...
So I have Fios and 50 down and 15 up speeds with ping averaging 19-22 mms to the closest server, yet I constantly experienced rubber banding and lag compensation on my end. I can play during the day when nobody else is home with a wired connection and this still happens.

Well out of idle curiosity and I went to my connection settings and then looked up MTU, as I didn't recognize what it was. It was set to a value of 1500. From what I looked up my basic understanding is that it affects the packet size of how the data is transmitted over the internet. So a higher value means fewer, albeit bigger packets to send. Ideally, you want the value to be as high as your router can reasonably tolerate to have to send fewer packets. The thing is, I think the default is too high for mine at least because you can experience bottlenecking if the packets are too big, which can affect rubberbanding from inconsistent transfers.

Point is, I saw a few places suggesting to lower it to some magic value around 1375 to 1400. Well I tried 1400 and I s*** you not, the increase in performance was immediately apparent. Before, the PS4 estimated download speeds of about 15 mbs, but changing this value doubled it to 30! The connection was consistent the entire time! I wasn't getting shot around corners. Hell, I could even quickscope people! I finished my remaining Locus bloodthirsties in two matches!

This remained to be the case for the last 10 matches I played before stopping. I'm aware it could potentially be a coincidence or placebo but I'll be taking note over the long haul. So anyway if you've had similar issues, I encourage you to take a look at this setting and hopefully you can receive a similar performance boost. :)

. I'll check what's recommended for my router and try this tonight.
Witty signature

User Info: FireCycle

FireCycle
5 years ago#3
I have the same setup on FiOS and have the same issues. Will def try what you posted. Thanks
A 1911 and an egg mcmuffin. Living the dream.

User Info: forge

forge
5 years ago#4
Where do you go to change this MTU setting. In your router menu or the PS4 settings?
Live Long and Prosper - Spock

forge
5 years ago#5
I just checked my MTU settings in my PS4 network settings and it said "automatic ".
Is that ok or should I change it to 1400?

FirebyrdXX
5 years ago#6
Yeah, configure the internet and select custom. Do the default for everything until MTU settings. Do custom instead of automatic and set that value as 1400. The most beneficial number would likely depend on your internet itself.

forge
5 years ago#7
FirebyrdXX posted...
Yeah, configure the internet and select custom. Do the default for everything until MTU settings. Do custom instead of automatic and set that value as 1400. The most beneficial number would likely depend on your internet itself.

And I would do this within the router menu?

User Info: LORDVADER110

LORDVADER110
5 years ago#8
You can tell if your MTU setting is too high but looking in game at packet loss if its high then its the wrong number used in MTU.

You need to find out what your max is by looking online at your ISP. Just using his mite not work.

I found this

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695

This is what is it like for me it must be still like that now. But in topic i made everyone just said get good mostly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxw3xnfMqA0

My ISP is 79 down 20 up the in game ping is 7-19ms. its lag comp. Its like he says in the video it seems to me like it takes forever for me to kill anyone. I don't have this problem on battlefield or starwars.
Feel the power of the dark side. You smart mouths.

User Info: edigital23

edigital23
5 years ago#9
I tried this. Set my MTU to 1400. The graphics were downgraded. Connection was nice, but I think I will keep it stock @ 1500.

EDIT: Just read the above posters link. Will try @ 1492.
Playing: Pokemon Yellow, Alpha Sapphire 3DS: Xenoblade Chronicles X WiiU: COD BO3 PS4: Battlefield 4 PS4: Smash Brothers 3DS/WiiU

FirebyrdXX
5 years ago#10
forge posted...
FirebyrdXX posted...

And I would do this within the router menu?

No, through setting up a connection in your PS4 settings
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  3. Potential easy and free way to decrease lag on your PS4
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A