You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Tokusatsu
  3. I'm starting to watch Jungle Fury

User Info: Dr_Kain

Dr_Kain
4 months ago#1
Since I finished watching Gekiranger a few days ago, I watched the first five episodes to Jungle Fury today. They weren't bad, RJ is pretty awesome, but there are a couple of issues I have right now.

First off, why didn't they just film this show in 16x9? It's very jarring when they are constantly squishing the Gekiranger footage to fit into a 4x3 screen.

Secondly, did they really need to make Jared be possessed? Can't even just be evil because he chooses to be evil? I did like the moment though when he was yelling at some of the Venoms and then yelled at Not-Mele (don't remember her name just yet) and she responds with, "I haven't done anything," only for him to reply with, "Exactly!"

Lastly, good god was the first episode rushed and the acting on the master for his death scene was Trinity levels of bad. I couldn't tell if he was actually dying or just trolling the rangers with a fake death since it seemed quite unconvincing.

Other than that, I am looking forward to seeing where this show goes, especially since they are going to be cramming 49 episodes into a 32 episode show.
Don't like my opinion? Cry to the mods like the ***** you are to have my post removed since that is what cry babies do!

User Info: Inferno00

Inferno00
4 months ago#2
Dr_Kain posted...
First off, why didn't they just film this show in 16x9? It's very jarring when they are constantly squishing the Gekiranger footage to fit into a 4x3 screen.

This was an issue with Operation Overdrive and RPM too. It wasn't until Samurai that Power Rangers switched to widescreen. Unfortunately the Disney executives believed that most people did not own a widescreen tv and that kids "would not care" about the cropped footage. So the production company had to put up with that.

An interesting thing about Jungle Fury is that it was created during a writer's strike. So half way through the show, the show's writers were replaced with other writers which used pseudonyms. It is believed that Judd Lynn made a few episodes under a pseudonym.
"Burn in the fires of Inferno!"

Dr_Kain
4 months ago#3
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh boy, that's going to go over so well. The show had scabs writing it that probably also had no idea who the characters even were. Great, so I should expect to see a lot of characters out of character in the second half, shouldn't I? BTW, is there a clipshow this season?
Don't like my opinion? Cry to the mods like the ***** you are to have my post removed since that is what cry babies do!

Inferno00
4 months ago#4
Yeah there's a clipshow where the rangers are forced to play a game show where they answer questions (and then clips are shown). This was actually one of the episodes after the writers change (you'll know when it happens if you like to read who scripted the episode at the start of the episodes).

I know that Jackie Marchand (one of the head writers for all the Disney Power Rangers seasons until then and most of the older Saban seasons too) left for the later part of the season to protest with the other writers.

Dr_Kain
3 months ago#5
We finished disc 1 today and there were some narrative issues with them, the biggest being that the episodes felt extremely rushed.

Instead of taking the Gekiranger plot where the rangers have to learn how to use the cannon before it works properly (since initially in that show they have to charge it for 2 minutes), it just works for them right from the get go. Add on top they didn't actually even do anything to develop the toad and scorpion Venoms.

Also, for some reason the cobra dude wants to get rid of Daishi, but it's just random and makes no sense.

Next up, I thought they said Daishi was the be all end all villain, so why is he going to revive his overlords? That means he's not the ultimate evil, but just a goon.

Then we have the episode with elephant master. He decides to have a change of heart because Lily sat outside his place and worked on his garden in the span of 5 minutes? HUH?! o_O Why? What he had wasn't inspiration, it's manic depression. The dude is suffereing from depression since he has changing mood swings at the drop of a hat. Yet, they never touch on that at all. Of course, they didn't even bother showing Lily actually learn how to use the mace, she is just an expert at it.

What I did like was RJ telling Cassie he was going to have to work for giving Fran a raise. LMAO

User Info: KCJ5062

KCJ5062
3 months ago#6
Honestly I felt seasons like Mystic Force, Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury felt rushed mainly because of having only 32 episodes. Granted RPM also have 32 and didn't feel rushed, but I still think some of the characters could have had more development if there were more episodes.
It's amazing how people hang around message boards of games they don't like

Inferno00
3 months ago#7
KCJ5062 posted...
I still think some of the characters could have had more development if there were more episodes.

I wanted to see what Dillon's past was about but we never found out because Eddie Guzelian was fired and no one knew what he had planned. So he never recovered his memories.

Inferno00
3 months ago#8
I got that Power Rangers Visual History book and it confirms that Eddie Guzelian wrote many notes on what the RPM characters are like but nothing on how the story was intended to end. This forced the writers to come up with their own ending after he was fired.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: KCJ5062

KCJ5062
3 months ago#9
Interestingly, Guzelian being fired was one of the few things Disney was actually directly involved with.
It's amazing how people hang around message boards of games they don't like

User Info: KaijunoKami

KaijunoKami
3 months ago#10
KCJ5062 posted...
Interestingly, Guzelian being fired was one of the few things Disney was actually directly involved with.

Who and why was he fired?
  1. Boards
  2. Tokusatsu
  3. I'm starting to watch Jungle Fury