What to watch next, Dekaranger or Gekiranger?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tokusatsu
  3. What to watch next, Dekaranger or Gekiranger?

User Info: Nahid-San

Nahid-San
1 week ago#1
Which one of these two shows is more enjoyable in your opinion?

I'm really interested in those two, but don't know which one to watch first.
Kids check under their beds for the boogeyman, the boogeyman checks under his bed for chuck norris.

User Info: Dr_Kain

Dr_Kain
1 week ago#2
Gekiranger. It's one of the best Sentai shows out there while Dekaranger is... well it would probably make an honorable mention in my worst Sentai list.
Don't like my opinion? Cry to the mods like the ***** you are to have my post removed since that is what cry babies do!

User Info: Rob_the_Ninja

Rob_the_Ninja
1 week ago#3
I haven't watched a lot of Dekaranger, but Gekiranger is great. It's heavily influenced by shounen battle anime, which makes it feel unique among other Sentai.
https://i.imgur.com/qDySatp.gif

User Info: battleblast

battleblast
1 week ago#4
Rob_the_Ninja posted...
I haven't watched a lot of Dekaranger, but Gekiranger is great. It's heavily influenced by shounen battle anime, which makes it feel unique among other Sentai.

Martial Arts in general. I think the movie makes a point of showing off a Bruce Lee statue in Hong Kong. Which is reds fighting style.
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages they can be impolite without having their skulls split.
Official Phantom Stranger of the C&GN

User Info: Rob_the_Ninja

Rob_the_Ninja
1 week ago#5
battleblast posted...
Martial Arts in general. I think the movie makes a point of showing off a Bruce Lee statue in Hong Kong. Which is reds fighting style.

There's literally a character named Bruce E.
https://i.imgur.com/qDySatp.gif

User Info: xOmniCloudx

xOmniCloudx
1 week ago#6
Dekaranger is a really fun show with a VERY likeable cast but is also heavy on the shipping. The entire cast has a romance subplot besides the Sixth ranger but he has the most heart wrenching backstory and that was handled WAY better than it was in SPD. If it's worth anything, I didn't really like SPD finding it really boring and the atmosphere off and gloomy due to how gray everything was to try and give off the vibe it was in the future. It had its Disneyish and PR goofiness but the atmosphere for it still felt off in a weird way. It was all the more apparent coming from Dino Thunder which was as opposite to SPD as it got.

Gekiranger is a show with badass stuff happening since it's martial arts based so it really comes down to what tone you rather deal with. The lighter fun playful one with romance scattered throughout it (Dekaranger) or the more over the top badass one (Gekiranger).
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: lambchips

lambchips
1 week ago#7
I enjoyed Deka more because I liked the characters and chemistry...

That said Dekaranger is my first or second Sentai, so Im biased towards it.
Dekaranger is also very generic when it comes to pacing which is great for a newer viewer.
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green

User Info: Dr_Kain

Dr_Kain
1 week ago#8
xOmniCloudx posted...
Dekaranger is a really fun show with a VERY likeable cast but is also heavy on the shipping. The entire cast has a romance subplot besides the Sixth ranger but he has the most heart wrenching backstory and that was handled WAY better than it was in SPD. If it's worth anything, I didn't really like SPD finding it really boring and the atmosphere off and gloomy due to how gray everything was to try and give off the vibe it was in the future. It had its Disneyish and PR goofiness but the atmosphere for it still felt off in a weird way. It was all the more apparent coming from Dino Thunder which was as opposite to SPD as it got.

I'm the opposite, I thought SPD was far superior to Deka because it didn't have Ban and it actually had a continuous plot with a main villain rather than just criminal of the week.

Another reason why Gekiranger is superior. It gave us the best developed villains in years and has been the last show to fully flesh out its villains.
Don't like my opinion? Cry to the mods like the ***** you are to have my post removed since that is what cry babies do!

User Info: Nahid-San

Nahid-San
1 week ago#9
You know, since both are on a tie (Geki has one more vote) and you guys also have difficulty deciding which one is better, I want to do something myself to see which one I should watch first.

I have a simple task, I want you to rate the categories for each of these series on a scale of 1-10.

Dekaranger)

Story:

Characters:

Suit fights:

Mecha/megazord fights:

Gekiranger)

Story:

Characters:

Suit fights:

Mecha/megazord fights:

Dairanger (yeah, I haven't watched this one either))

Story:

Characters:

Suit fights:

Mecha/megazord fights:
Kids check under their beds for the boogeyman, the boogeyman checks under his bed for chuck norris.

User Info: lambchips

lambchips
1 week ago#10
Dekaranger

Story:
5/10 ( average)
^ The Eps are stand alone, but I like my sentai paced this way... Theres no real continuity, each ep is a new adventure about the world... I felt the world was well done.

There is continuity towards the end, but it ends wayyy too quickly.

Characters:
8/10 ( great)
^ I liked every character... Especially Yellow, that yellow x pink ending song was also great ( probably my fav female song)

Suit fights:
7/10 ( good)
^ The cinematography was good, everything was clean and was easy to tell what was going on.

Mecha/megazord fights:
Cant remember ( but then again I dont remember any of the mecha battles for any Sentai, except Dai ranger.)

Gekiranger
Story:
8/10 ( great)
^ i cant remember the pacing or even what the story was, but I remembered every ep connecting with the last and it was entertaining.

Characters:
5/10 ( average)
^ I dont remember hating any of the characters, but I also dont remember any of them... I cared more about the main villain than any of the heroes at the time.

Suit fights:
8/10 ( great)
^ iirc every ranger had their own battle styles.

Mecha/megazord fights:
Cant remember ( but then again I dont remember any of the mecha battles for any Sentai)

Im heavily biased towards Dairanger, so take this with a grain of salt.
Dairanger

Story:
9/10 ( excellent)
^ I'll probably only give 10's to the best and that would probably belong to Shinkenger, which imo is still the best sentai as it has everything I wanted from story ( as well as battles, the only element I found Shinkenger weak at was the music but thats probably because I dont remember the henshin tune.)

This series is paced like a generic super sentai ( new villain an ep), but its really dark/ dire which is one thing I love in Super Sentai ( its also the reason I like Shinkenger as much as I do)

Characters:
9/10
^ I liked all the characters, except the Red ranger... The Red Ranger got the least development, the side rangers were definitely the standouts. ( a 10/10 is probably Shinkenger or Jetman, I gotta rewatch Jetman)

The characters also interacted very well together and their personality really fits into keeping the series darker.

Suit fights:
9/10
^ At the start every ranger had their own gimmicks/ battle style.. but eventually they all fought the same ( they have unique weapons and stuff which they always used)

The henshin/ rollcall music is probably the best out of all the Sentai I've seen and really pumps me up.

Mecha/megazord fights:
10/10
^ This is the one ( and only) Sentai series where I remember the actual mecha fights because they always end in the same way ( with the good guys oneshotting the monsters without fail every time, and its always satisfying to see.. I also chuckle everytime because of this, I have a feeling the mecha battles were made as a joke to lighten up the series.)
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Tokusatsu
  3. What to watch next, Dekaranger or Gekiranger?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.