• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wario
  3. DoctorPiranha3 ranks: His top 10 favorite Nintendo franchises REDUX

User Info: DoctorPiranha3

DoctorPiranha3
2 weeks ago#1
Because I royally f***ed up last time. Spoilere: No Wario, I haven't played many Wairo. games.

1. Donkey Kong - DKC is my all time favorite games. All 5 of them are special to me. I also enjoy Diddy Kong Racing so much, it's my favorite racer. Liked the PAON spinoffs, and DK64 was a big part of my childhood.

2. Mario (including all spinoffs) - It's kind of not fair to include Mario franchise as one entity because it encompasses so many things, but I've greatly enjoyed most of the genres. Obviously the platformers are stellar, and the RPGs are amazing. I've enjoyed everything else from the Kart racers, parties, and sports games. Luigi's Mansion too, which almost deserves to be its own gaming entity if Yoshi can be one, you know?

3. Smash Bros. - Thanks to Smash Bros. Ultimate and granting me K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie (whom incidentally would have been ranked behind Mario on this list if they remained a Nintendo IP), I'm no longer bitter from Smash 4. Ultimate is one of my favorite games ever.

4. Fire Emblem - I got introduced to this series thanks to Smash Bros. Melee, and I purchased the first game released outside of Japan and fell in love with it. The series has some drastic highs, some recent lows, but has definitely boosted my morale with it thanks to Three Houses.

5. Zelda - The quintessential action, puzzle, adventure series. This franchise just has an aura, a mystique about it. You know it's more likely than not to be a high quality game if it has "Zelda" in the title (f*** off CDi). By far my favorite thing with this series is how radically different each game can be, without losing its traditional Zelda charm. I love that there are so many different art styles across the different games.

6. Pokemon - Unfortunately this series keeps plummeting my rankings because of the dip in quality with each passing generation, but it's still one of the biggest pieces of my childhood. I collected the cards, had toys, watched the anime, and put more time into the games than I would like to know.

7. Animal Crossing - The first game was one of the best gaming experiences I've had. It even introduced me to many NES games and different Nintendo franchises, like Zelda and Punch-Out!!. Overall, the series just oozes charm and cuteness. I don't know if there's another Nintendo IP that appeals to children, parents, and boys and girls alike than Animal Crossing.

8. Punch-Out!! - Like I mentioned above, I got introduced to this thanks to the first Animal Crossing. And boy, I played the hell out of it. Learning the boxing patterns of the opponent will take some time, you'll likely get your ass kicked multiple times by the opponents. But as soon as you learn the patterns, it sticks with you for life. The boxers are so varied and even stereotypical, it's charming and full of personality. Here's hoping for another sequel someday...

9. Mother - I honestly don't think that there's a day that goes by where an Earthnound or Mother 3 rune doesn't pop into my head. The music is so f***ing good, the settings are equally as good. Quirky and silly, and I love everything from the enemies to the story. Mother 3 is a very emotional game, one that will likely stick with you.

10. Yoshi - Make Eggs, Throw Eggs. The first Yoshi's Island is undoubtedly the best Yoshi game, it has awesome music and level designs. The other Yoshi games are okay, but nothing could capture the magic of the first. Overall, one of my favorite platforming series.

@APlusle I fixed my rankings, and put in more effort. What do you think?

User Info: APlusle

APlusle
2 weeks ago#2
Good read. It really shows your passion for DK that it's at the top even when including Mario's platformers, RPGs, and everything else all in the same category. Glad to see Smash has made up for its stumbles for you.
'Official' Plusle of the SSBU board. Also, creator of that thing down in the line under this.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997828-paper-mario/57781633

DoctorPiranha3
2 weeks ago#3
APlusle posted...
It really shows your passion for DK that it's at the top even when including Mario's platformers, RPGs, and everything else all in the same category.

I know, right? My two favorite games of all time are probably PM64 and PM:TTYD, and I have a load more Mario games on my all-time list than Donkey Kong games. It has more to do with my fandom of the mythos in DKC than anything else, I think. Whereas Mario and most other games are purely "whimsical" in a sense, DKC embodied both whimsy and organic. The world that the games take place just feel like "our" world, and everything makes sense. There's no random floaty object in space; rather, a floating object is more likely to be suspended by vines or ropes. I just love that s***, you know? With Mario, it's like "Okay, this is clearly a video game and here's an obstacle course. Have fun clearing it." But DKC is like "Yeah we're in a video game, but let's add some realism and nature into the mix and blur the lines a little bit." I also love the cast of characters, I've always liked primates and jungles.

Anything else on my list surprise you? Probably Punch-Out!!. I'm sure you've seen me talk about all the others. And yeah I guess Metroid would be #11 which is a surprise for you. I can quote Star Fox 64 all day, but it's the only Star Fox game I've played.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: angelkay16

angelkay16
2 weeks ago#4
Nice list! I'm not surprised at your top 3 but I thought Zelda would be your number 4. I didn't know you liked Punch Out or Mother either.
I'm not giving him cake. I'm assaulting him with cake!

DoctorPiranha3
2 weeks ago#5
angelkay16 posted...
Nice list! I'm not surprised at your top 3 but I thought Zelda would be your number 4. I didn't know you liked Punch Out or Mother either.

Thanks Kay, it was actually a lot easier to rank than I imagined.

I don't think I've ever raved about Punch-Out!!, at least since I've known you guys, so that doesn't surprise me that it surprises y'all. I've raved about Mother I'm pretty sure, if not posted a lot of music from the games. But you'd probably have to be looking for it to actually notice, so I don't blame ya there. :)

You probably thought Zelda would be higher because I talk about it because more of the posters we interact with actually play the games. Not many of people in our circle have played Fire Emblem, and definitely not enough to go into lengthy discussion about it. But if we did, I'd talk about it all day!

Seriously though, when can Luigi's Mansion be considered its own thing, like Yoshi? I'd probably rank the Luigi Mansion games overall over Yishi, depending on how good this third one is going to be.

I've played a few Kirby, but never really got into them much, probably because I have my platformer needs covered by DKC and Mario.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: angelkay16

angelkay16
1 week ago#6
Oh yeah, I have seen you share Mother music but I didn't know if you'd played it or just liked the music.

Talk about Fire Emblem then! There are others that play it and more might pop out of the woodwork if you talk about it.

If Luigi's Mansion 3 is really good (like how it looks) then it should be considered its own thing. It's different enough from the other Mario stuff.

I've not played a DK game. >_> not yet anyway
I'm not giving him cake. I'm assaulting him with cake!

APlusle
1 week ago#7
Yeah I don't think I knew you were a Punch Out!! fan.

I'm big on Kirby, but like you said, you got your platformer needs covered and I respect that, especially since you're satisfied by a smaller amount of games than in the past.

angelkay16 posted...

play tropical freeeeeeeez

If you feel like it.
'Official' Plusle of the SSBU board. Also, creator of that thing down in the line under this.

DoctorPiranha3
1 week ago#8
angelkay16 posted...
If Luigi's Mansion 3 is really good (like how it looks) then it should be considered its own thing. It's different enough from the other Mario stuff.

Agreed. I think three games should constitute as its own thing, especially since Pikmin was basically its own thing with only one game.

angelkay16 posted...

I can't wait until they finally release the series on the SNES app... seriously why the f*** aren't they on there? You should give'em a try once they do!

angelkay16 posted...
Talk about Fire Emblem then! There are others that play it and more might pop out of the woodwork if you talk about it.

So just start spouting random nonsense about the games in attempts to smoke out the lurkers from their hiding sports? Ehh... I'd be more interested if you had a particular question about the series. Then I could nerd out like a little nerdnerd.

DoctorPiranha3
1 week ago#9
APlusle posted...
Yeah I don't think I knew you were a Punch Out!! fan.

Have you played? They have it on the NES Switch app thing.

APlusle posted...
I'm big on Kirby, but like you said, you got your platformer needs covered and I respect that, especially since you're satisfied by a smaller amount of games than in the past.

Yeppy yep. Granted Kirby plays a bit differently, but I'm playing all these Mario and Donkey Kong games with some Yoshi, by the time I get to Kirby I'm like Ihhhhhhhhh man. >_>

APlusle posted...
play tropical freeeeeeeez

If you feel like it.

Yes, she should. IMO the best platforming experience ever. But if it's scary to plunge into a $60 game, then maybe wait to see how you like the games when they release on the SNES app thing. The SNES games play quite a bit differently than Tropical Freeze, but TF was made with the spirit of them in mind.

APlusle
1 week ago#10
DoctorPiranha3 posted...
Have you played? They have it on the NES Switch app thing.

Nah. I've watched a bit of it but I don't think it's my thing. I like that kind of reaction/action puzzle type deal, but I usually like to be eased into it more. The two games are so short and intense, it's just a lot to jump into.
  1. Boards
  2. Wario
  3. DoctorPiranha3 ranks: His top 10 favorite Nintendo franchises REDUX
  • Post New Message