You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Luigi
  3. Post Once a Day 6

User Info: APlusle

APlusle
3 months ago#81
I've been staying away from Falcon, I want to learn the game fresh and if I go in with my main from the last game I'm worried my fingers will latch on to habits for old mechanics and I'll be stuck on the same character I've been with for so long already. I love Pichu so I want to at least secondary Pichu if not main. Marth/Lucina is my best character right now but I don't want to commit to anyone yet.
'Official' Plusle of the SSBU board. Also, creator of that thing down in the line under this.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997828-paper-mario/57781633

User Info: slaterastle

slaterastle
3 months ago#82
All of the characters seem really good honestly, I hope it stays that way.

Have you ever speedran a game? I'm running Prime and my PB so far is 3:08:51 RT stopping the timer late. The dream is sub 3 but with no glitches and the intended route that's gonna be tough.

APlusle
3 months ago#83
Yeah the characters all feel really fun, I love it.

I've never seriously attempted to get a good time in a game. I did one completed speedrun in my life of Sunshine and it was 2:59.58 or thereabouts RTA, I just remember it was ridiculously close to 3hr but was sub-3. I really like learning about games through their speedruns though. What's the toughest parts of running Prime?
'Official' Plusle of the SSBU board. Also, creator of that thing down in the line under this.

slaterastle
3 months ago#84
The biggest timelosses definitely come from when you jump up/across a room, and you fall to the floor so you have to redo the room until you get through. There are also multiple bosses/mini bosses that can be invincible for as long as they choose so waiting for them to let you kill them is frustrating to say the least. Also, you gotta balance killing guys with rushing through and if you get cornered you can lose a lot of health quickly which forces you to be more careful, those ceiling turrets are incredibly OP. There's also RNG with missiles and power bombs that you need to be fast, you can stop by the ship to avoid it with the power bombs if you just want a guaranteed finish but it costs about a minute. There's also trying not to go to save spots to save time but also not wanting to die, unlike other games you can't really control if the enemies hit you or not/what health the ones you have to kill give back.

Finally, I havent seen any glitchless runs on Youtube so idk what the fastest route is for getting all of the artifacts in Chozo Ruins/Phendrana Drifts and going to Phazon Mines the second time. I made the route I've been using myself which is part of the appeal of the run and it's effective but there are variations that I'd like to be tested and have a consensus formed over. They all seem to be about the same with the exception of one that cuts an energy tank in a run where health is vital and only 4 tanks are closeby (I've definitely had times at 1 health going into a save spot lol) and if you try going slightly out of the way to get one you'll lose the time you saved. Idk if I'm gonna have time to run more with school starting today but if I do I might try cutting the tank and see what happens but I may not since it sounds less fun and there's still improvemts to be made on the execution of my route.

That's cool your any percent run of Sunshine is about as long as the world record for 120 shines, what was hard about that?
(edited 3 months ago)

APlusle
3 months ago#85
The hardest part of my one SMS run was where I spent like 20 - 25 mins in Pianta Village trying to do Yoshi Skip for Village Underside during the run without either practicing beforehand or planning from the beginning to use a route without early Pianta Village in it like a sane person. Eventually I gave up on said oh well to my splits and went to Gelato or whatever it was instead.

That's cool that you're using your own route. Are you active in the Prime speedrunning community?

slaterastle
3 months ago#86
I've never been an active member in a speedrunning community before lol. I dont think Prime is a popular run either, especially not glitchless like me. But maybe the glith guys would happen to know about it and I could start a wave or something so maybe I'll check it out.

Lol yeah you should have just gone to the next level, then it would have been sub 2:30 which isn't bad at all. I dont think I could ever run that game personally unless it were 120 shines and that would seriously take forever, I havent even finished that casually yet haha. I ran Super Mario 64 a little but doing the backwards long jump up the little staircase is like luck based so that turned me off. I got there in like 20 minutes one time and then spent 10 getting that to work and that made me quit lol. I've gotten it to work tho and I think my PB is sub 35 but I honestly dont remember. I'm just waiting for the odyssey record to be under an hour already lol. Hopefully BOTW gets under 30 minutes too.

What're your favorite runs that you've watched? Mine are Mega Man 8, Sonic Adventure DX, and Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom. My favorite one to keep up with is Majora's Mask but that's because I root for Ennoop to finally get 1 good run and like seeing the improvements.

APlusle
2 months ago#87
MP seems fairly active, it has 114 submissions for any% normal alone on speedrun.com. Like you suspected no glitchless category though.

I have the most fun watching speedruns when I learn wildly new stuff about the game from watching the run. Because of that, there's not exactly a particular speedgame I watch as a favorite. SM64 is probably the easy answer for me, though. It was kind of my gateway game into both speedruns and ROMhacking so it's got a special place in my heart, I love just how crazy well people know the game, and I feel like I almost always know it well enough to either understand what's going on or be able to learn what's going on pretty quickly.
(edited 2 months ago)

slaterastle
2 months ago#88
Yeah I checked there to see if there was a run I could learn from but it looks like there isnt. Sub 3 hours is gonna be way hard with my route because idk if I made 9 minutes of mistakes or not in my PB. Then again, every inprovement has been by several minutes, I've had a 3:55, a 3:30, and a 3:15 before this and those are the only 4 Ive finished. Once it's under sub 3 I dont think I'll see the point in going on, we'll see if I even get there.

I agree with enjoying speedruns that I learn something from. I'm definitely not into OOB stuff tho, it can be cool to watch like in OOT's case but a lot of the time it kinda just seems impossibly hard and feels like cheating so I dont care. I just meant of all the ones I've watched, those have been the coolest ones so far. I'm surprised Wrong Warping to the Moon hasnt been discovered yet.

I feel like Mario 64 is pretty much dead unless someone somehow shaves time off of the new 16 star record which seems even more impossible than before. What games have you learned the most about through their runs?

APlusle
2 months ago#89
Wasn't too long ago SM64 got a new 120 star WR from cheese, several months ago I think? SM64 is practically its own genre from ROMhacking now so it'll never die. People don't just do base game, they do various categories of games like Star Road, The Green Stars, I don't think people actually run Last Impact, and just beating ROMhacks often requires similar skills as speedrunning the games because people get so creative with designs.

Most popular games I'm into I've at least learned a little bit about through speedruns. If I like a game I tend to look for cool stuff about it and speedruns are a good source of that. SM64, OOT/MM, SMS come to mind in particular though since they're extremely popular and well-developed speedgames close to my heart. I haven't watched a whole lot of SMS runs though so I'm sure there's a lot I could still learn about it.

slaterastle
2 months ago#90
Dude apparently I'm the world record holder with no video proof yet of Prime Glitchless.

I found a video of someone using the Wii version that claims to be the world record when I've beaten that time by 6 minutes and my run wasnt even optimal. And after watching that run, I'm baffled it's only 6 minutes slower, it feels like it should be at the very least least 20 but I guess that's loading times for ya, good to know on a Wii I'd be under 3, guess I gotta record a run lol. Speaking of that, I had a run that felt way better than the 3:08:51, but I only got 3:08:20 so all that work for 30 seconds sucks when I was definitely more ahead than that at least in the beginning. The RNG on the bosses that can be invincible forever has grown into the most infuriating part for sure, and most of them are in the final third so all that work just to have that be a pain sucks. I was planning on being done until I discovered the record tbh but now the fire has a tiny spark I guess. Apparently Prime 2 is shorter which is very surprising.

That's true about 64 having the rom hacks to keep it alive, I was referring to the base game. Pre 120 being sub 140 I followed it pretty closely but it's less interesting now imo. I always find it exciting when a grind is to get a time under a certain 5 or 10 minute mark, with sub half and whole hours being the most exciting if that makes sense. If someone shaves 8 seconds off the current 16 star record I'd be very happy. I watched a Bug Limit Wind Waker run expecting it to be more but it was kinda boring actually. Maybe I'll watch the glitchless HD one that's about 45 minutes faster and gets quick sail but I'd imagine that being about the same.

The all main quest run of BOTW is definitely cooler imo. I wish there was a boss before getting the Paraglider and the Master Sword and at Zeldas Final Memory but oh well. I may try to beat the game without using the Paraglider or Warping but I know there's parts that are impossible like Medoh so it may not be worth it, guess we'll have to see.
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Luigi
  3. Post Once a Day 6