You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Luigi
  3. Post Once a Day 6

User Info: slaterastle

slaterastle
1 month ago#101
If you ask me, Lea and Kairi shouldnt have keyblades, Xion should end as she did in 358/2 and her keyblade should be with Roxas, and there should be 7 story lines for the 7 light keyblade wielders spoken of in the prophecy, one for Sora, Riku, Mickey, Aqua, Terra, Ventus, and Roxas. Either that or have 4 story lines with 3 trios, one for Sora Donald Goofy, one for Riku Mickey and Kairi, and one for the prequel/nobody trios, and you switch between who you control like in Sonic Heroes.

You dont even get to fight Sephiroth do you? No Radiant Garden or FF characters, psh. I mean I'm glad you like the game and the fully realized worlds sound cool but it sounds like the worst KH game. I'm sorry you dont like BBS or DDD, I thought those games were fun, especially BBS. I havent tried the game tho so I'm sorta talking out of my butt but I remember being so hyped for this and none of my expectations are met at all so that's sad.

Ive been playing Star Fox Assault on Gold Difficulty and it's a fun game. I could probably play Gamecube games exclusively for the rest of my life and be happy. Sure I'd miss out ok great stuff but I'd be playing great stuff too so it'd balance out. I'm not saying I'm gonna do it, I'm just saying it'd be fun. I wanna play Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing but it might take time cus they're expensive.

User Info: APlusle

APlusle
1 month ago#102
Axel/Lea's Keyblade doesn't entirely make sense but his character was handled beautifully in this game so who cares. Kairi was handled terribly, I think everyone can agree on that. Xion's return - the entire sequence with the reunion of Roxas, Axel, and Xion, with Xemnas and Isa/Saïx there - was amazing and perfect aside from Kairi getting fridged. It was so much better thematically that Xion came back and after DDD it would have been outright thematically inappropriate for her not to, and if they had brought her back just to off her a second time it would've been baaaaaad.

I would not have minded getting to play more as other characters, or even have two or three storylines like in CoM/BBS/DDD. Four storylines sounds extraordinarily difficult to execute for a KH game. While I would like to at least get more gameplay as Riku and Aqua I don't mind having the majority of the game be as Sora because KH and KH2 were like that, gives the game a similar feel to those and that's fitting now that we've finally counted to three.

I don't think the series really needs FF characters anymore besides Moogle. They started out kind of as filling out the character slots in the KH original worlds in the early games and they've had less and less emphasis as time has gone on. The only FF character in BBS is Zack, and I guess some feathers from one wing, and DDD had exactly the same amount of FF characters as KH3 - granted, it had TWEWY characters, but it had way fewer KH characters than KH3, plus KH3 teased more TWEWY stuff. I would've enjoyed Sephiroth again, yeah, but they don't need him for a good superboss as evidenced by the 13 other good superbosses in KH2.

I didn't say I don't like BBS or DDD, I like BBS and I can at least say there are things I adore about DDD, I said the core mechanics of their gameplay are bad, which I can try to elaborate on if you're interested. KH1 and KH2 are the only games I can pretty simply just go ahead and state my feelings on: they're good. The rest are more complicated. There's not a one I dislike but I'm a huge fan of the series and I'm also pretty critical of it. I'm critical of KH3, too, and I'm sorry if it didn't meet any of your expectations, but coming from a background of obsessing over the series and most things in it way too much I think KH3 is easily a top three Kingdom Hearts game.

Star Fox Assault is fun, I don't have it but I've done the multiplayer some at a friend's house. Animal Crossing is good. I don't have experience with Fire Emblem still but I hear the GC one is good if you can get it.
'Official' Plusle of the SSBU board. Also, creator of that thing down in the line under this.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997828-paper-mario/57781633

slaterastle
1 month ago#103
Well it sounds like the 4 trios idea is the best way to go if Xion and Lea are super dope. Or there could just be 10 story lines but that seems like overkil haha. I just always wanted a real chance to play as Mickey and Dual Wield Roxas, and the reason behind cutting Lea Xion and Kairi is the fact they havent been playable before. I definitely get that DDD would have to be altered to make my vision a reality tho, Xion's a nobody that grew a heart when she should have been more of a tragic monster thing like in Days. I guess my imagionation is just different from reality and it is what it is. She could still come back once Xeanort's defeated tho, and Lea can still be around but just have the cool discs and help/maybe have a small bit like Riku in 2.

The difference between KH1/2 and 3 is all of the other Keyblade Wielders are busy not doing much for most of those games, and that was before BBS came out so the cast was quite smaller. I just think the story would be more satisfying if the finale gave all the other keyblade wielders more love.

I havent played the final mix versions so idk most of the super bosses :/ I'm down to read your opinion of the rest of the games tho and why 3 is top 3 for you. I love all the games so ranking them is hard for me. All I know is if we meet IRL, we have to do multiplayer in Days haha.
(edited 1 month ago)

APlusle
1 month ago#104
Playing as Mickey and Dual Wield Roxas in the long term would be really fun. I'm not sure what you mean by cutting Lea, Xion, and Kairi. Technically Xion is not a Nobody, she's a Replica who was made to mimic someone secondhand through their Nobody and grew her own distinct heart. Which is. Yeah. KH logic. I'm very happy with how Xion was treated in this game and I think it would've been pretty bad for her character if she stayed a tragic monster thing, though her being one for a bit was central to her character. I'm not sure what you mean by that she could still come back once Xehanort's defeated, do you mean in your hypothetical monster version?

The cast was definitely smaller in KH1/2 than 3 though it had the FF characters that made it a similar size. We missed out on some good potential character moments by having everything in the finale, like Riku and Terra interacting for instance, but I felt every character at least got really strong scenes of their own towards the end.

Yeah it sucks that FM versions were so hard to get on original release and that you needed them for all the content. I would looove to do Days multiplayer with you, I've never actually done it. My memories are pretty vague of actually playing Days (so my thoughts on the gameplay are less full for that one), it's been a long time since I've played it on DS instead of watched the movie version on PS3/4. I know you can be anyone in multiplayer which is just awesome.

KH: Good solid gameplay, seems simple at first but holds up really well in depth, great boss design. Story is great, best Disney integration in the series.

CoM: Love this one's story. First played on GBA and didn't get past final Axel, was a long time ago. Re:CoM's gameplay is pretty fun and well designed on Proud, a couple things are overpowered but fun to use, learning the gameplay the barrier to entry is too high.

KH2: Best everything ez

Days: I don't remember enjoying the gameplay but again can't speak in detail. Really good writing. Movie version is great but DS version has some awesome dialogue that was left out of the movie.

BBS: Story is really, really good, but way too hard to understand, has some of the best and worst voice acting from main chars in the series, the three protags are imo stupid and well written at the same time. Disney worlds are boring. Gameplay is really cool looking and flashy and is fun for it, it's definitely not what I'd call too hard except for YX nor too easy, but it doesn't hold up at a high level. Unlike KH2, where individual bosses have preset revenge values, you never know when a boss is going to stop being in recoil so combos effectively don't exist. 90% of commands are outclassed by shotlocks and Surges which let you do a bunch of damage while invincible. Ven and Aqua have infinite i-frames as long as they keep rolling, which is not great design, whereas Terra does not and this means there's only about a 25% chance it's even possible for him to beat the ultimate superboss of the FM version, which is even worse design.

DDD: Emotional stuff is amazing, like Sora's finding all the people in his heart in dreams, Riku's character arc. Time travel bulls*** doesn't make any sense and I can't suspend my disbelief for the sake of a resolution like I can in KH3 because there is no resolution. Gameplay is less flawed than BBS maybe but feels less interesting, flowmotion is generally overpowered and takes too long to execute, and 98% of the time your best option is Balloonra and picking the other options by choice is even less interesting somehow.

KH3: Hitstun and revenge values are back. Awesome worlds. Great combo system like from 2 is back. Emotional resolutions for everyone cept sora lul and all chars coming back and together after infinite buildup. First game since 2 to not explicitly be a tragedy cept sora lul. more stuff
'Official' Plusle of the SSBU board. Also, creator of that thing down in the line under this.
(edited 1 month ago)

APlusle
1 month ago#105
Oh yeah I forgot Coded exists. That's a game. Coded has really good gameplay on DS. Its story basically doesn't matter which is really out of character for the series. And for the PS3/4 collections they decided this meant the way to handle it was make it a... movie? Yeah. And I don't even know what it was like back when it was on the phone.

slaterastle
1 month ago#106
I meant no longer making them keyblade wielders so that in my hypothetical version of KH3 there would be 7 wielders to go along with the prophecy, that way when a 7 storyline game was made people wouldnt wonder why they dont get to play as kairi xion or lea since having 10 story lines and playing as them seems like overkill due to them never being playable in the past.

As far as the tragic monster is concerned, I feel like when Xion was defeated, her heart should have entered Roxas and remained there until the end of KH3 to coincide with my 7 warrior vision. A beautiful Riku Terra interaction would have totally happened in it because the true KH3 would begin once everyone was saved already, thus allowing plenty of time and a more fun game imo.

KH1's simplicity is really great in retrospect. I love the complicated story but I also love having a break from it in a simple clean game (pun intended haha). It's the only one I've beaten twice and I beat Sephiroth in it on the second playthrough. Easy to become OP, my first playthrough was at level 49 at the end so Ansem 2 was super hear but the second time I was 67 and destroyed everything.

Chain of Memories and Days both fall under the mediocre but once you play them after you've beaten them you realize calling them mediocre takes away from how fun they truly are. I mean as if Chain of Memories wasnt awesome already with the impossible 4th riku fight, Marluxia, Captain Hook, Malificent, the brokenness of only leveling up card so you can make a 0/9 deck and destroy everything, and good level design, then once you beat the game you get Riku mode? Holy crap, that's definitely one of the best GBA games. No Zexion boss until Re is stupid af but whatever.

And then Days has some cool bosses, The Limit Break is super fun and then it becomes super busted in a not bad way when you get the stronger version. Plus I feel like the story of Roxas is incredibly understated, sure it's not entirely needed to be known in the grand scheme of Sora's quest to end the Xeanort arc, but that feeds into how Roxas is a nobody and I found it very interesting as a standalone thing. Sure Riku went through a blindfold phase but I forgive him haha. I mean his friendship with Xion and Axel is as strong of a trio as BBS and the OG team with a ton of uniqueness, and making the game a movie/leaving stuff out really does them injustice. That 4 phase Xion fight has to be one of the coolest bosses I've fought. I know some people didnt like the mission aspect but you gotta mix it up somehow right? If only the battle system were better, I mean I found the tile system fun personally but I can see the complaint of spells not being treated well. And yeah, there weren't any new worlds, but if there were the missions would have felt more restrictive. It was because I had been everywhere already that I didnt mind the segmentation. Definitely would have preferred anything over Agrabah but that's probably just a personal thing.

I should replay 2, every time Ive tried I havent finished but it's been long enough to be entirely fresh now so I'll probably do that. It's got a ton of content, what is it like double KH3? It was tied with BBS as my favorite when I played them all initially but that was years ago so I want a new opinion. I really like the Roxas part, I'm always sad to see him go but that's part of why the game's good. Ive heard Final Mix is where it's at everywhere and I've only played Vanilla everything as you know, but I mention it here because Ive heard 2 has the most additions. KH3 seems to be KH2:2 as far as combat is concerned whereas the rest all do their own thing, now that could be entirely false but yeah. Not to say they arent different, just that they're the most similar. I love playing as Mickey, the bosses are cool, the new worlds are great, and the combat feels incredible especially with the forms. Great sequel to a great game, wish I could use Cure more but the limit does make the gane harder so theres ups and downs.

slaterastle
1 month ago#107
BBS is the best PSP game, bought the system and fixed it twice not entirely but largely for this game alone. With mostly new worlds, the only reason this isnt KH3 is because it's on a handheld. 3 keyblade wielders? They really outdid themselves, I love the combat personally and I'm sorry you dont like it, I didnt know about the I-frames and all of the Keyblade Wielders were fun to me. Aqua's my least favorite because I'm all about melee but that makes playing as her harder which adds to the game in a great way. It'd be cool if you could just stay in the powered up forms rather than needing to not attack for a while to make the bar go down but oh well. I think Vanitas's Lingering Spirit is harder than YX where you surge to win, and I remember the game being really hard wih Terranort killing in one combo. Yeah there's OP stuff but you can choose not to use it like in many games. I got Ven to level 99 so Multivortex killed Vanitas instantly haha. Dude the bosses are so good, Vanitas in the heart realm is something else and it's not even that much better than the other bosses. Not to mention the story being mind blowing, man KH3 does those guys injustice. I'm gonna take this moment to say the voice acting is SO much better in every other game than in KH3 from the cutscenes I've watched. Xeanort, Sora, and Riku are jarring examples of bad voice replacements.

DDD is great. The new worlds are fun, flowmotion is super cool, Traverse Town with TWEWY characters is a nice touch, the bosses are cool, not a ton more to say. I will say refighting everyone in DDD makes refighting everyone in 3 less impactful. I'm not saying they shouldnt be in 3 because they should, but I will say had there been more keyblade weilders it would have been able to mix up their fights more. There I go again talking out of my butt but it sounds right.

And Re:Coded is just a super fun unnecessary game with bosses that change the gameplay in a way that matches with my taste and doesnt match KH at all and yet there are still lots of great bosses in the regular KH style too. The worlds are mixed up so well that I even enjoy Agrabah and that's definitely my least favorite world in every game besides 1 and Re:Coded. They definitely outdid themselves here too with Olympus Colloseum and all the data stuff. I like how the combat in BBS and DDD is simplified here even though I like the more complex versions also.

Maybe if I play KH3 rather than keep whining I'll love it but when I love the rest of the series so much and I see how butchered it seems everything is it's hard to get over it. I'm sure this opinion will change, but as I wrote this post I figured out that I think KH2 is in a weird middle ground of not being simple like 1, Days, Re:Coded, and COM, and it doesnt have the complexity of DDD and BBS, so that's why it's currently probably my least favorite. I know I spoke good on it and all that stuff is true but I deleted how I couldnt figure out what I dont love about it. I know it feels great to play tho and the story's a pretty great stepping stone in the series so I definitely like the game, but idk. It was definitely hard when I beat it, I beat Xemnas at level 38 so the sommersault move killed me even at full health so that took 7 hours and Demyx 2 was the hardest in the series for my middle school self who didnt use thunder so I definitely have fond memories of them and Xaldin and Xigbar and The Lion King level and the Tron level but yeah. Havent beaten Sephiroth or most of the Hades Colloseum either so there's definitely stuff for me to check out, I'll have to do that.
(edited 1 month ago)

APlusle
1 month ago#108
Having a neat seven amount of Keyblade wielders is tempting but I like the way they had it be messier than the prophecy would've made it seem. The Darknesses have backups on backups, some of them change into Lights, some of the Lights go away. I don't think it's something that just happened, I think it's deliberate, there's a line where Xemnas specifically makes note of it. It goes with Xehanort's MO of planning for every eventuality, but more than that, it contrasts the actual logical objectives of the antagonists (ex: 13 people are dark, 7 people are light, that's how it's gonna be) with the emotional and logistical complexity of reality (ex: this dark's a light, we have two spare darks, where'd that light go, aaa) and I've come to believe that contrast is a running theme of the series, not just an isolated component of one game.

It would've been cool just in a gameplay sense to fight against big ol' Xion but from a storytelling perspective I greatly prefer the way it was done. We've already gotten everything we could've out of that in that sense that I can think of, and Xion's human form allowed for Roxas's return and Xion's return to happen all at the same time with Axel right there in front of them for a reunion while Xemnas and Isa are there to be confronted, and I can't really imagine a situation I'd find more satisfying as an emotional payoff for those five. Then Kairi is there too for some reason I guess. In any case it looks like we're on the same page that a beautiful Riku Terra interaction would've been great and is something we're sorely missing.

I totally agree with you on everything about KH1. I think KH3 is the only game in the series I haven't seen to the end in some form or other multiple times, but KH1 was the smoothest of that, I think I played through it like four times in a year once. It really is simple and clean and I dig the pun.

Yeah CoM is great. Marluxia also got a third form in Re, sucks that the original versions of KH games so frequently feel practically like beta versions but so be it. The first time I beat CoM was on Proud in Re and hoo boy some of those fights were a handful, Larxene 2 comes to mind on top of the others you mentioned.

I looooooooove Roxas's story. Sure, Sora is the only one doing hacky slashy by the end of KH3, but there's a reason so much of KH3 focuses on Roxas and the BBS cast, if the series didn't have them there'd be no more halfway decent story to tell after CoM. All three trios are about as good as each other in the series imo, and of the nine of them Kairi is the only one I think is a pretty weak character, the rest are phenomenal. Days' movie leaving out characterization is rough - best examples off the top of my head are "Roxas, that's a stick." and "Do you always have to look at me like I just drowned your goldfish?" - but it tells the story pretty damn well and we get to hear the whole thing voice acted and see it with more animated models which is pretty great. It's been long enough I should maybe redo the Xion fight sometime. I didn't care for missions/grids but w/e, KH is always messing with stuff to experiment, better than stagnating. Also you're not alone, ...(S) Agrabah in every game not named Kingdom Hearts or to a lesser extent Kingdom Hearts II, and it was most boring of all in Days.

APlusle
1 month ago#109
KH2 is I'd say like x1.5 as long as 3. I'm surprised it's your least favorite, I respect it though. The Roxas intro is imo one of the best sequences of the entire series. I would for sure check out Final Mix if you get a chance, it's the biggest change from the base game of any of them. Not just superbosses but added cutscenes, new story boss, way more BBS foreshadowing, etc. And Critical mode of course if you're into that sort of thing, KH2 crit is the series' best gameplay no contest imo. You're right about it being kind of in the middle in terms of complexity, I think it's kind of a sweetspot but I could see how it could seem less appealing for that reason to you too. KH3's gameplay is, I'd say, KH2's along with everything that worked best from the games that came later as well as some new minor things on top.

Easily agree BBS is best PSP game. Three wielders is great, I do tire of going through the same things thrice but it's more than made up for by getting to do a whole game as three different characters and seeing the way the story artfully unfolds from the different perspectives. I believe they meant to make the difficulty Terra Easy/Ven Medium/Aqua Hard to go with the idea of "strength good" but they kinda missed the mark, Aqua is far and away the strongest of the three, with an all-directional guard, exceptional Mine abilities, and the best Command Styles, and Terra the weakest with the questionable Slide though his strength stat really is helpful. Sure, I can not use Surges if I feel like it, but I like being rewarded for experimentation in gameplay instead of being handicapped by going out of my way to do it, and I already spent 119 hours on the game just to get all in-game and PS3 trophies as efficiently as I could without making things noticeably harder (or at least longer) for myself on Critical. Vanitas's Lingering Spirit is definitely a much more fun and better designed fight than YX, being forced to surge YX in between dodges and that being the whole fight is stupid, but I can't agree about VLS being harder when Vanitas' Lingering Spirit is possible to beat 100% of the time with all characters (took me 9 tries with Terra on Critical) and Young Xehanort in Land of Departure is... not (took me 152 tries with Terra on Critical). I loooooove the final bosses for everyone in BBS, so good. Vanitas in Dive to the Heart might be my favorite fight in the series. Also I haven't mentioned yet, in a series that always has amazing music BBS is in contention for my favorite soundtrack of any of them.

I don't agree that KH3 does the BBS characters injustice, so much foreshadowing from BBS got payoff in KH3, Vanitas' cutscenes in KH3 I loved, Terra's setting this right, Lingering Will getting Xehanort after over a decade of sleeping rage, Eraqus being a sly fox, an entire three hour game that's basically KH3's prologue chapter where you play as Aqua, Aqua's return after an eternity, her finally getting Ven back, on and on so much stuff. Also disagree on the voice acting in KH3. I know I'm in the minority in liking Master Xehanort's new VA, but I'm confused what you mean by saying Sora and Riku are jarring bad voice replacements, they've been Haley Joel Osment and David Gallagher respectively for the entire series. I know that some people don't like Sora's voice as he's aged IRL but he had some really good moments like his wail of despair at the Demon Tide and Riku's is as strong as ever. Terra's VA was inexperienced back in BBS and all but like two of his lines were flat in that, his voicework is fantastic in 0.2/KH3. Aqua's VA is even better now than she already was too. Kairi is eh but w/e it's Kairi. Everyone else who's ever been good is good in KH3 in my judgment. I miss when Vexen sounded like a lunatic but his VA is still incredible that just wasn't where the character was at anymore.
(edited 1 month ago)

APlusle
1 month ago#110
DDD's worlds are beautiful but empty, which I think is why flowmotion falls a little flat for me as well. My favorite DDD world is easily Symphony of Sorcery because it's the one world where I really do want to just sit back and zoom along through the gorgeousness. I prefer KH3's worlds because they're just as big while having a lot more structural and content variety. The only characters you really refight in DDD are Ansem SoD and Xemnas. Fighting Xemnas in DDD felt kind of pointless and redundant to me, I loved fighting Ansem SoD in it because the setting was so cool and tense and it brought Riku's character arc even further along. It would've taken away from the impact of fighting them in KH3 if not for that they threw all three of the earlier big bads at the player at the same time with an incredible medley of their themes and new character depth for two prior final bosses in cutscenes that happen throughout the battle, I was kinda floored how awesome that was. Yeah, I would like them to get their own time devoted to them again, ideally I'd want optional solo fights against everyone as DLC for 3, but at the same time we've already seen that and what they did was not just retreaded ground.

I agree with everything you said on Coded. Only thing I'd add is that the ending with Data Roxas (or whatever the hell he is) is awesome emotionally and as a boss. Even though it's still kinda just there in terms of story.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Luigi
  3. Post Once a Day 6