Problems with patching the Hasbro version
- Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
I Googled and found that Atari still hosts a help forum and a subsite with patches for every language version of the game. So far, so good. I downloaded everything I could click on, just in case.
And then, something really kooky happened when I tried to install the English patch. The installer informed me that I actually own the Swedish language version and refused to progress. There was no option to force the installation, and since I didn't have any unofficial patches yet, I just went ahead.
Five minutes later, I was playing an English copy of Rollercoaster Tycoon with Swedish ingame text. I browsed through Atari's forum, and while a couple of people shared my problem (some of them pointed out that it happened with their Hasbro copies), I could find no solution. Unofficial patches also changed nothing.
So! Have you ever had or heard of this? Do you know a good workaround? This Swedish stuff is really hard to ignore. Thanks.
There is no exact solution to this, as I never had this problem, and very few do have it.
Why you are downloading the English patch is beyond me. You shouldn't need it if the version is in English already.
What you could do is, if possible:
1. Remove all the patches that you installed and reinstall the game.
2. This time, install back the patches that worked before you started to have a problem with the one patch. Do not install the one with problems.
3. Since you are using XP, change the game's compatibility to Windows 98 or ME. Go to the game itself and right click it. Move down to properties. Should be obvious there.
4. Load the game and see if there are any problems. Carefully examine all aspects to make absolutely sure there will be no problems. Try a run-through of the first scenario and see if anything pops up.
Owner of a Lv200 RAmarl!
Took 20 tries to complete "A New Hope" deathless first time
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate your detailed answer, but I think we're in a bit of misunderstanding here.
> "Why you are downloading the English patch is beyond me. You shouldn't need it if the version is in English already."
I have a *cough* creeping suspicion that you thought I'd downloaded a translation patch by mistake. Not so, but I guess I could've been more precise. Atari doesn't provide a generalized update utility, instead separate patches are available for each language version. The installers are supposed to work only with their respective versions to prevent overwriting RCT's text files, but in my case the Swedish patch is simply the only one that'll actually go ahead and install.
The game doesn't even reach the intro roll without it, but a side effect is Swedish text. The real problem is the incompatibility of the "proper" patch with the Hasbro version of RCT.
And, yes, I tried all of the compatibility settings (in all possible combinations) before downloading anything. I reinstalled the game thrice, trying out various methods to make it work. No luck. I thought it's too obvious to mention, but other than that my chronology is step-by-step.
Yes, that was how I interpreted it. Sorry for the misinterpretation then.
Hmm, well I'm not sure how to help you out. I don't really understand the problem fully since I have never experienced it before? I also don't understand why you are referring to the RCT the "Hasbro version". I am almost certain that there aren't two different type of versions unless I'm wrong.
*insert sig here*
> Hmm, well I'm not sure how to help you out. I don't really understand the problem fully since I have never experienced it before? I also don't understand why you are referring to the RCT the "Hasbro version". I am almost certain that there aren't two different type of versions unless I'm wrong.
Well, I'm not one hundred percent sure about it, but it seems these problems occur between Atari's current patches and release day copies of the game. At least that's what I gathered from the few accounts I could find on the 'Net -- whenever a particular version of the game was specified in a problem report, it was the English big-box release from '99.
Saving this from the purge in case someone can help.
I know for RCT3 there is a setting in the registry that tells the game what language version it is. I'm taking a wild guess that RCT1 does the same thing or at least something similar to that. By changing that value back to "US" (assuming it is set incorrectly) should fix the problem. I don't have the game installed right now so I can't easily check to see if what I'm saying is anywhere close to being right. If there still isn't a fix in sight within another week, you could opt to get a RCT Deluxe box for about $10.
Add user to Ignore List after reporting
- Topic Archived