• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day
  3. #8275 - Have you ever bought a game, system, or accessory (such as amiibos)...

User Info: jamsch1978

jamsch1978
3 months ago#11
Yes. I've never used a bot to acquire inventory. I've done it with every system since the PS3 and have made some good money doing it. The only time I didn't was with the Wii U. I went around launch morning and bought a dozen systems with no problem from Target and ended up returning all of them within 30 days (well within their 90 day policy) so I didn't take a bath in them. Regarding Series X and PS5, I've not done as well. I only got 1 Series X and 2 disc version of PS5 consoles. 1 of my PS5s, I'm selling to a friend at cost who wanted one but had no luck. I only made $100 profit on the Series X in my neighborhood. I'll probably do the same with my other PS5 and sell it to someone in my neighborhood. I won't list it on eBay because the demand locally is high enough that I don't need to endure their fees. I'm not sure I'm going to do it again with video game consoles because I won't use bots and am finding that I've spent too much time on this gen to make a few hundred bucks.

I buy and sell a lot of things on eBay to make money. I used to buy old console bundles and then break it up and sell individually but it got to the point that the 20% I was making wasn't worth my time so I stopped. I also did it with Magic The Gathering cards and made a killing with this - helped pay for my college and build my collection in the late 90s and early 2000s. I'd buy collections then sell the highest value cards just to end up on the side of profit and kept the rest to play with - built a sick collection with no out of pocket expense. I then cashed out after the Urza sets for close to $10k. Just a few years ago, I'd buy entire sets of 3rd edition listed in mint condition and send in just the dual lands to get them graded from Beckett. I'd pay about $1200-$1400 per set and would sell the graded duals for enough to cover the purchase, grading and selling expenses. Then I'd have the entire rest of the revised set for free... and this helped me build a sick collection again within 2-3 years. I then cashed out when they changed a rule in commander that overnight impacted the value of some cards overnight and they started reprinting old cards again (like Mana Drain and Karakas) which I felt could lead to the originals in my collection losing value. Today I focus on rare coins - early US coins, Carson City coins, shipwreck coins - check out the El Cazador shipwreck for a cool coin story. In recent months, I've been getting into the original series of Garbage Pail Kids from 1985. They've been going up in value quite a bit recently so I'm not selling any yet but I've acquired about 5K worth in the past couple months (I have several Nasty Nicks and Adam Bombs already).
"What doesn't kill you only makes you smaller" - Mario

User Info: Cubis101

Cubis101
3 months ago#12
I did get 3 Marth amiibos when they first came out, but I gave the other two to friends as B-day presents and kept one for myself. Earlier this year I did buy 2 physical copies of 3D All Stars. One to actually play and another to keep for eternity.
GT, PSN, Switch, & Steam: Cubis101
Currently Playing: Among Us, Genshin Impact, Rogue Company, Mario 3D All Stars, Minion Masters, Rainbow Six Siege

User Info: uDubstep

uDubstep
3 months ago#13
I've scalped a few times in my day, not a regular thing for me though. I bought 3 ps3s and sold two of them for over a grand each, that was awesome and definitely my biggest score...

I don't really understand the hatred for scalpers when it comes to games. They're just taking advantage of your frothing mouth demand, the rest of us will gladly wait for the dust to settle to purchase. It's a minor inconvenience at worst, it's not like a concert ticket where you're actually missing out on anything. But hey, I guess I just don't get too pissed off at minor inconveniences like most of the internet...
BASS http://s8.postimg.org/kq3kkr96t/BANGSfinal.png
STEAM: (BANGS) BASS wubwub - GOG: HOOGAFANTER

User Info: coreekymon

coreekymon
3 months ago#14
uDubstep posted...
I've scalped a few times in my day, not a regular thing for me though. I bought 3 ps3s and sold two of them for over a grand each, that was awesome and definitely my biggest score...

I don't really understand the hatred for scalpers when it comes to games. They're just taking advantage of your frothing mouth demand, the rest of us will gladly wait for the dust to settle to purchase. It's a minor inconvenience at worst, it's not like a concert ticket where you're actually missing out on anything. But hey, I guess I just don't get too pissed off at minor inconveniences like most of the internet...
Depends what we are talking about, something like a console I don't really care so much because they will obviously be readily available eventually, anyone willing to pay 100% markup is an idiot or has more money than they know what to do with.

Actually limited items where waiting for restocks is not an option, scalping is a lot more scummy.
Favorite games of the Decade: 1. Xenoblade Chronicles X, 2. Kingdom Hearts III, 3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2, 5. Nier: Automata

uDubstep
3 months ago#15
coreekymon posted...
Actually limited items where waiting for restocks is not an option, scalping is a lot more scummy.
I'm kinda on the fence with this one, but I see where you're coming from. I think I just put more responsibility on the manufacturer to make more. If people want it, why would it be limited?

User Info: jamsch1978

jamsch1978
3 months ago#16
uDubstep posted...
I'm kinda on the fence with this one, but I see where you're coming from. I think I just put more responsibility on the manufacturer to make more. If people want it, why would it be limited?

The reason comes down to money - but not like most would think. Sony and Microsoft could make sure they had enough inventory to 100% meet demand at launch but it would not make financial sense to do so. The reason being is because they'd have to ramp up production to do so. To ramp up production, that means you'd have to build more factories, employ more people, buy everything that comes along with a factory, etc. Why do all that to meet demand day one then have to slow down production, lay off people, empty factories, etc. From a business perspective, how they do it makes sense. They continue supporting the last gen (PS4 and XBox One) for a few years while they keep pumping out hardware. Then... when demand is finally met or the market is saturated, they produce and release the slim model.
"What doesn't kill you only makes you smaller" - Mario

User Info: coreekymon

coreekymon
3 months ago#17
uDubstep posted...
Well I mean it's not like I think it's wrong to criticize companies for not meeting demand on these items. I mean I'm no business expert so I'm not going to speculate how exactly they decide how much to produce of something like that, but I'm sure they have their reasons. And perhaps some of those reasons are rather scummy, and maybe some of them are more reasonable.

But regardless, while the companies may bare some of the blame, I don't think that completely absolves scalpers of any wrong doing in making the situation worse.
Favorite games of the Decade: 1. Xenoblade Chronicles X, 2. Kingdom Hearts III, 3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2, 5. Nier: Automata

User Info: Chen06

Chen06
3 months ago#18
Nope, but why would anyone blame the scalpers and not the company? They could just auction off their limited supply, rendering scalpers meaningless.
WELCOME TO THE JAPARI PARK

User Info: StewieGriffin23

StewieGriffin23
3 months ago#19
I would if I could.
Biden won the election. America can finally breathe easy again.
Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-3759-9672

uDubstep
3 months ago#20
jamsch1978 posted...
The reason comes down to money - but not like most would think. Sony and Microsoft could make sure they had enough inventory to 100% meet demand at launch but it would not make financial sense to do so. The reason being is because they'd have to ramp up production to do so. To ramp up production, that means you'd have to build more factories, employ more people, buy everything that comes along with a factory, etc. Why do all that to meet demand day one then have to slow down production, lay off people, empty factories, etc. From a business perspective, how they do it makes sense. They continue supporting the last gen (PS4 and XBox One) for a few years while they keep pumping out hardware. Then... when demand is finally met or the market is saturated, they produce and release the slim model.
We're talking about continuing production on "limited" items, not ramping it up...
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day
  3. #8275 - Have you ever bought a game, system, or accessory (such as amiibos)...
  • Topic Archived