• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day
  3. Game of the Decade Contest - Bracket Discussion

User Info: The_Mighty_KELP

The_Mighty_KELP
2 months ago#1
On March 13th, GameFAQs will be temporarily switching out the Poll of the Day section, replacing it with a voting area for the Game of the Decade contest. During the contest, this board will temporarily suspend creation of daily threads. This is mainly because there will likely be two voting rounds per day, as it has been in the last few contests, and I don't want to spam the board with new topics. But even if this isn't the case, we'll still be proceeding with the following plan.

Instead of daily threads (you may still create topics for old polls, following the outline in the FAQ/Rules sticky), what we'll be doing in the interim will be focusing our posts on this and a handful of other threads that I'll create, which will be stickied for the duration of the contest. If you have an idea for a topic of discussion that doesn't quite fit into any of these stickies, or might spark a discussion too big for them, and you think it merits a topic of its own, you may create it. Just don't flood the board with such topics, and don't create a new topic solely for the discussion of a daily battle. You may also create topics for old polls, following the outline in the FAQ/Rules sticky. Depending on the level of discussion of the contest on this board, we may end up creating topics specifically for the final bracket, when (assuming this contest follows the format of the contests in recent years) the number of battles drops to 1 a day.

This thread will be devoted to discussion of the bracket entries. If you have a question or comment about how your bracket is going, or about how you're surprised how accurate/inaccurate your predictions turned out to be, or whatever, post it in this thread.

We're not going to be extremely strict about where a particular post ends up, but do try and use common sense. If your comment is about a specific battle, then saying something like "if today's battle turns out this way, it's going to throw off the entire rest of my bracket," that could go here or in the Battles Discussion thread. But saying "I've never played Super Game that's winning today, maybe I should check it out if it's that popular," that should probably go in the Battles Discussion thread, or maybe the General Discussion thread. There's overlap.
Link to the Actual GameFAQs Poll of the Day Board: https://tinyurl.com/actualpoll
Discuss the poll of the day! Topicality is enforced.

The_Mighty_KELP
2 months ago#2
Oh, forgot to add: Since you can still fill out your brackets, use this thread for discussion of how you've filled out yours already, and predictions of how battles will turn out, and ask questions about how you should fill out your bracket, etc.
Link to the Actual GameFAQs Poll of the Day Board: https://tinyurl.com/actualpoll

User Info: DJStrong

DJStrong
2 months ago#3
Just did a bracket, I know undertale won big before but I am going long on Portal 2!
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood"

The_Mighty_KELP
2 months ago#4
I'm putting my money, so to speak, on Skyrim winning the contest. It's debatable whether it was the best game released this decade, and debatable whether it was the most popular game released this decade, but IMO, more than any other game, it defined the decade. It was released on virtually every platform, to the extent that it became a meme, making it available to nearly everyone who could want to play it. The base game was ludicrously large and replayable, and the expansions and mods upped that further. The game spawned more memes, parodies, and homages than any other game I can think of (excepting perhaps MineCraft - actually, now that I think about it, MC fits a lot of these criteria as well...). Every other open-world title since has taken inspiration from it, and it was just sheer fun.

User Info: Mozzezz

Mozzezz
2 months ago#5
Just finished my bracket. I may adjust it some but there shouldn't be too many adjustments.

I have Smash Ultimate winning.

The main stand out thing I have is I think Fortnite is seeded way too low even if this site doesn't have a ton of true Fortnite fans. It's still on a bunch of platforms. I have it going to Round 3.
Maker ID:3M9-CGV-3JF
"Lower your guard and you will allow the enemy in." - Frog from Chrono Trigger (the original alt frog). https://imgur.com/hSc6hOs

User Info: demonwyrm

demonwyrm
2 months ago#6
Finished my bracket yesterday. I'm going with Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I'm banking on GameFAQs overwhelming love for Nintendo. @Mozzezz Smash is another good choice. I have that game climbing pretty close to the top, but I think Zelda could edge it out.
Nonsense! That is what you speak. Nonsense... from beyond!
(edited 2 months ago)

Mozzezz
2 months ago#7
demonwyrm posted...
Finished my bracket yesterday. I'm going with Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I'm banking on GameFAQs overwhelming love for Nintendo. @Mozzezz Smash is another good choice. I have that game climbing pretty close to the top, but I think Zelda could edge it out.

I actually have Breath of the Wild and Smash VSing each other in the Semifinal.

I went with Smash though cause it has so many characters, including characters popular on other systems plus it has Nintendo characters.

I also went back and looked, one of the Smash games, I think Brawl, did make it to runner up in one of the contests, so I think this supports it having a good chance.

Also just curious, what did you do with your Fortnite placement? I'm still a little nervous having it go to Round 3, but I still think I am right, but looking for other opinions.
"Lower your guard and you will allow the enemy in." - Frog from Chrono Trigger (the original alt frog). https://imgur.com/hSc6hOs

User Info: demonwyrm

demonwyrm
2 months ago#8
^^ I have Fortnite losing to Borderlands 2 in the second round. I know it's massively popular with the mainstream/casual crowd, but I'm really basing my picks on what I see on this site. For the most part I don't see a lot of Fortnite discussion here and when I do see someone bring it up, it's usually being made fun of or being used as an insult.
Nonsense! That is what you speak. Nonsense... from beyond!

Mozzezz
2 months ago#9
demonwyrm posted...
^^ I have Fortnite losing to Borderlands 2 in the second round. I know it's massively popular with the mainstream/casual crowd, but I'm really basing my picks on what I see on this site. For the most part I don't see a lot of Fortnite discussion here and when I do see someone bring it up, it's usually being made fun of or being used as an insult.

True on how this site views it, and also interesting you still have it going to the second round.

One of the main reasons I have it beating Borderlands is cause what do Nintendo fans pick there, Fortnite is at least on the Switch. Plus it is on other platforms.

Actually s*** I just realized I have it going to the Div Final not Round 3 lol, I may need to think even more on it.

User Info: Quill

Quill
2 months ago#10
Hi everyone, I'm excited about this contest, and I'd appreciate if someone could answer 2 questions I have about the rules.
  1. Are you able to update your bracket after March 19 when the battles start?
  2. If you submit a second-chance bracket after April 20, does that negate your first bracket? (Is there anything to lose by submitting a second chance bracket?)

1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day
  3. Game of the Decade Contest - Bracket Discussion
  • Post New Message