• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7772 - Do you worry that you may be addicted to video games?

User Info: VioletMassacre

VioletMassacre
1 month ago#1
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/poll/7772-do-you-worry-that-you-may-be-addicted-to-video-games

I can't answer any of these since they put words in your mouth. Am I addicted? No, but saying "I can quit playing any time" makes it sound like I might be. When does it become an addiction? I play basically every day but I have never sacrificed anything for it, but if I "quit" playing I would have nothing to do when the important stuff is taken care of.

These poll answers are getting worse and worse.

User Info: zebatov

zebatov
1 month ago#2
No. It’s not an issue for me. It’s not really an issue for most people.
"Her name is fitting."
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: coreekymon

coreekymon
1 month ago#3
Could I quit anytime? Probably not because it's what I enjoy doing. Have I ever sacrificed anything important to play? Not really, I have plenty of self control.
If you wanted to watch me play games for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg3ZPyrv_ouLSN_S18rrrcQ

User Info: dillydally123

dillydally123
1 month ago#4
Yeah, as usual the choices are too wordy and specific. I think I am a bit addicted, I think about them a lot even if I spend months not playing any and I go through phases where I play them a bit too much and maybe sacrifice small things like my plan to bake a cake that day but I've never sacrificed anything important for them.

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
1 month ago#5
No, I don't really play games that much at all.
Everything will be fire.

User Info: dawnbomb

dawnbomb
1 month ago#6
Why is the poll rigged in a way to offend people that play a lot but don't think their addicted? like, legit why? and on a gaming website?

why are we pretending that having something you put a lot of time into makes you addicted? just because you prioitize something you love, doesn't mean it literally must negatively impact you. there are lots of people who can play video games, or other activities of interest (painting, snowboarding, seeing a opera) and not suffer financial trouble, ruining relationships, money problems, ect.

Inversely, i actually think quite the opposite, and thats it's genuinely unhealthy to have no interest that you would prioritize at all. Have you ever met a person who has literally no preferred or prioritized interests at all? I can't recall where i saw it, but someone in a show once defined normal, as a person having a extreme area of interest, and that the only not normal people, are into literally nothing.

the poll should of absolutely had a options for i love to game a lot, but i'm not addicted. Is it possible to be a addict? sure you can be a addict to anything technically, but if you actually are, shouldn't be between "i don't play games" and "i'm clearly addicted". like the hell, does the person who makes the polls of the day on this gaming site, even game? were not all mindless addicts or disinterested with gaming. Some people actually play games, because they like it, and not because they are addicted and need to.

User Info: dancer62

dancer62
1 month ago#7
A really stupid poll that paraphrases alcoholism screening tests.

"I play a lot but I can quit any time"---- huh?

I teach at the university a lot but I can quit any time.

I exercise daily but I can quit any time.

I drive to places I need to go, but I can quit any time.
If ballet was easy, it would be pointe-less

User Info: dawnbomb

dawnbomb
1 month ago#8
dancer62 posted...
A really stupid poll that paraphrases alcoholism screening tests.

"I play a lot but I can quit any time"---- huh?

I teach at the university a lot but I can quit any time.

I exercise daily but I can quit any time.

I drive to places I need to go, but I can quit any time.

Yeah, the poll is just terrible made to make gamers look the same as addicts in need of treatment. I mean, you can put "I X but i can quit anytime" to make anything look stupid.

I breathe oxygen but i can quit any time.

not everything needs to be quit, it can be perfectly healthy to do something lots, doesn't mean your addicted, or that it's harmful.

User Info: Xeowulf

Xeowulf
1 month ago#9
So many polls, especially recently, have really bad poll options. I'm not sure who makes the polls, but they should quit any time.

I voted the middle option. I haven't played many games at all lately, but, when I get on one I really like, I can get a little obsessed.
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." - Obi-Wan about the GameFAQs boards

User Info: Solarys

Solarys
1 month ago#10
First of all, why does this poll need 3 options for "No," and how exactly are they different from one another? "It's a fun hobby" already implies "not serious" and "not that much," otherwise it cannot be considered a "hobby" at all, let alone "fun," and the last two options are fundamentally the same.

Also, the responses in the first two options are entirely flipped. "I have sacrificed important things to play instead" should go with "Yes," because sacrificing important things is the surest sign that you are addicted, no two ways about it. "I think" goes with "Maybe," which expresses uncertainty.

Anyway, I went with #4, because I never play games seriously or even take them seriously - games to me are just a fun and relaxing pastime, nothing more, nothing less. However, I don't think I can quit playing entirely anytime, as it means that I'd have to find other, more expensive or less enjoyable things to do in my downtime instead. ("I can quit playing anytime" should go with the last option, if any - it's out of place either way...)

EDIT:
Without rewriting all the responses, I would reorganize the options like this:

- Yes, I have sacrificed important things to play instead
- Maybe, I think they might be too big of a part of my life
- Not really, it's just a fun hobby, and I never play that seriously
- Not at all, I don't play games very often, or I can quit playing anytime
"Teamwork is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at."
MSI Z170A-S02 || Xeon E-2126G 4.1~4.5 GHz || 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz || Radeon RX 480
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7772 - Do you worry that you may be addicted to video games?
  • Post New Message