• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7694 - What do you miss most about classic video games?

User Info: XenoManx

XenoManx
4 weeks ago#31
Since nobody else has said it yet, I would like to add fast loading.

In the old days I would put a new cartridge in my NES, turn on the power and 10 seconds later I'd be squashing bad guys or talking to nondescript NPCs.

Nowadays I put a new disc in my PS4 and I get to look at a progress bar for the next 4 hours.

Even worse, (although it had been this way on PS1 or PS2 as well, but it seems to be getting worse) is having 30 seconds of 'loading please wait' every time I change rooms.

And furthermore, if the power goes out for half a second I can't just turn the damn thing back on, it has to reboot like a PC for another 5 minutes.

User Info: mooreandrew58

mooreandrew58
4 weeks ago#32
coreekymon posted...
I went with the buying a complete game option, although I don't resent DLC too much as I think it does provide opportunities for content that never would have happened otherwise, obviously it just depends on the game and how it's handled.
The other things mentioned though, like micro transactions and pay to win I'm a lot more critical of, though they have fortunately not infiltrated many of the games I play.

Pretty much this. Like with fighting games I feel dlc is a benefit. Back in the day capcom was just as greedy as they are today. They would re release the same game repeatedly at full price and just add a couple of new characters/features. Id much rather just pay the little bit of money per new character and have the new features patched in for free like in sf v. (Though they shoulda been in from the start but thats another discussion) and also like in arkham knight. I enjoyed the batgirl dlc and that likely would have never happened without dlc.
Cid- "looks like that overgrown lobster just got served!" Bartz-"with cheese biscuts AND mashed potatoes!"

User Info: Miasma

Miasma
4 weeks ago#33
No DLC/Microtransaction

User Info: DJStrong

DJStrong
4 weeks ago#34
Sera67 posted...
The MAIN THING I miss, which wasnt part of Poll.

Unlocks and Cheat Codes. Good use of Konami code other then taking a dectives pants off in SH3. WTF.
I miss extra lives, level skips, infinte health for days you wanna mess around, outfit unlocks and color swaps, character changes...
I miss that.
I miss game genie on nes, and FFT cheat codes that made game harder.

This is a good one. Flipping to the back of gaming magazines or hoping you rented the copy with the notes filled out, fun times.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood"

User Info: Solarys

Solarys
4 weeks ago#35
I voted for "No boring tutorials, just read the manual or jump in and start playing." This extends to handholding and forced "easy mode" in general, because I want to learn and get better at the game by myself, instead of being told what to do or given unnecessary help every step along the way. Some games like Nier Automata go so far as to have an option for the game to literally play itself. Simply put, I hate being treated like a baby, or an idiot, by the game developers.

I was going to go with "no pay-to-win microtransactions or on-disc DLC," but I don't agree with the first part at all. Sure, most console games of the physical-media days were standalone, but Pokémon games were (and still are) a typical counterexample, especially on handhelds: you can't truly complete them without buying two or more versions of each game, plus one or more spinoffs on another console where applicable. I'd take DLC maps and characters over this bulls*** any day of the week. Also, many PC games had multiple expansion packs, which were basically DLCs in a physical form, and some of them actually added very little for the price.

The best way to deal with pay-to-win is to simply avoid those games, since an unbalanced game isn't a good game in the first place. As for on-disc DLC (i.e., content cut and sold back), that's just greediness at its worst - a disgusting practice that shouldn't even be legal.
"Teamwork is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at."
MSI Z170A-S02 || Xeon E-2126G 4.1~4.5 GHz || 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz || Radeon RX 480

User Info: mooreandrew58

mooreandrew58
4 weeks ago#36
DJStrong posted...
Sera67 posted...
The MAIN THING I miss, which wasnt part of Poll.

Unlocks and Cheat Codes. Good use of Konami code other then taking a dectives pants off in SH3. WTF.
I miss extra lives, level skips, infinte health for days you wanna mess around, outfit unlocks and color swaps, character changes...
I miss that.
I miss game genie on nes, and FFT cheat codes that made game harder.

This is a good one. Flipping to the back of gaming magazines or hoping you rented the copy with the notes filled out, fun times.

Yeah I think the most modern game ive personally played that had cheat codes was scott pilgrim vs the world but outside the graphic novel tie in it was a ode to old school beat em ups. Had the konami code sorta had sagas abacab sorta had sonic 2s level select code and a couple others iirc.
Cid- "looks like that overgrown lobster just got served!" Bartz-"with cheese biscuts AND mashed potatoes!"

User Info: ForsakenHermit

ForsakenHermit
4 weeks ago#37
Went with paying but what I really miss the most is the type of games that came out before the HD era.
Beware the fanatic! Too often his cure is deadlier by far than the evil he denounces!-Stan Lee RIP
Make Arcades Great Again!

User Info: dancer62

dancer62
4 weeks ago#38
XenoManx posted...
Since nobody else has said it yet, I would like to add fast loading.

In the old days I would put a new cartridge in my NES, turn on the power and 10 seconds later I'd be squashing bad guys or talking to nondescript NPCs

True. OTOH, I remember typing "load,1,1" and waiting for the cassette tape to grind on the Atari 400 or C64. Also spending hours typing in magazine games in BASIC.

The first word my son could spell other than his name was "run". "Mom, the tape stopped", "Okay, type 'run' R U N"

I thought getting a disk drive was the greatest thing, how would I ever fill 170K?

I also remember spending hours configuring DOS partitions, virtual memory, and fighting with sound card parameters to get a game to run.

Games are better than ever.
If ballet was easy, it would be pointe-less
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Revelation34

Revelation34
4 weeks ago#39
dancer62 posted...
I thought getting a disk drive was the greatest thing, how would I ever fill 170K?

And now they have like 10 TB drives. The issue with those is that nobody could ever possibly legitimately fill those up. Stuff like that was made for pirates.
Gamertag: Kegfarms, BF code: 2033480226, Treasure Cruise code 318,374,355, Steam: Kegfarms

User Info: dancer62

dancer62
4 weeks ago#40
Revelation34 posted...
dancer62 posted...

And now they have like 10 TB drives. The issue with those is that nobody could ever possibly legitimately fill those up. Stuff like that was made for pirates.

Hmm.. my 2TB X1 drive seems pretty tiny, with 100+GB installs. I cancelled Gamepass because, with pawnshop finds and digital sales, I don't have that much room for just trying out games. Seems like 10TB is not really that big anymore.
If ballet was easy, it would be pointe-less
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7694 - What do you miss most about classic video games?
  • Post New Message