• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7694 - What do you miss most about classic video games?
I hate having to update games frequently, and while that allows for bug fixes and free bonuses, it's made many developers lazier and many games feel rushed. Can I just play the f***ing game and update it later?

On-disc DLC is inexcusable - it's in the code, so it should be part of what you pay for it. Microtransactions are killing certain games and making them pay-to-win.

Instruction manuals were nice and all but with the Internet, were no longer necessary. Tutorials in modern games are hit or miss - some are excessive, others are nice. Many more recent games are simply not challenging, though, unless you get creative. Some you can't and are a cakewalk even on the hardest difficulty (I'm looking at you, Tales of Xillia, despite my account coming from there >_>)

I voted DLC/microtransactions. The idea of DLC is good, but the fact that single outfits are $3 (no way am I buying more than one, and only if I REALLY LIKE IT) and that you generally don't get the same value you once did with an expansion pack just makes the practice bad for the consumer.

Challenge is second, easily. I like it when a game at least lets you figure out a way to make it more challenging. I play a lot of JRPGs, and I like a good challenge with a good story. Sadly, I don't get both much anymore...
~ BlueCrystalTear at large ~ [this space still for lease 7 years later]
https://i.imgur.com/sclpQaM.jpg

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
1 month ago#22
BBQ_Soda posted...
I went with "paying once for the entire game".
DLCs are just as good or bad as expansion packs of the old days - it all depends on how they are handled. Good DLCs add extra levels and content to revive an older game; bad ones are essentially content cut from the base game and sold back for extra profit - on-disc DLC is a prime example of this.
Pay-to-win is a totally different can of worms, and it seems that such shady tactics are being increasingly used to extract more money from players. It's becoming a common occurrence even in single-player games now, where the best characters/items/weapons are locked behind a pay-wall.

Expansion packs were beefy, reasonably priced and never sold you content that should have been in the base game. Some expansion packs were actually playable without the base game. DLC tries to sell you measly accessories for 5$ a piece with the large packs not only withholding content that needed to be in the base game but selling it for nearly the same price as the game itself.

This illustrates it well: https://img.fireden.net/v/image/1449/95/1449956788202.jpg
Everything will be fire.

User Info: Pitaya

Pitaya
1 month ago#23
I'd have gone for "paying once for the whole game" but I not-so-fondly remember buying Street Fighter II like four times and buying two Game Boys and both Pokemon versions since I didn't have friends who played games so...yeah, hard to miss something that never existed

Forced tutorials are a pain so I went with that
I solemnly swear that I aim to misbehave.

User Info: Mozzezz

Mozzezz
1 month ago#24
I quote unquote miss a real challenge most, but there are a few problems with that.

One, I thought for their time early games like NES games and Atari were for the most part too hard with how young gaming was. So yes I wish games were more challenging but I don't exactly miss those times. Also even though we had an Atari when I was growing up I was too young to experience it at the time of it's release and I only really experienced NES towards the back end of it. With SNES difficulty started being appropriate for the time, but in that case really I need a tougher challenge now then what it offered for the most part.

Two, you still have the option to buy that old stuff.

Three, you can find some pretty challenging stuff if you know where to look.

edit: Also NES and Atari had their fair share of sort of cheap/not worth doing stuff in them.
"Lower your guard and you will allow the enemy in." - Frog from Chrono Trigger (the original alt frog).
https://imgur.com/hSc6hOs
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Sera67

Sera67
1 month ago#25
Now that my hands are bigger... and went back played alot of atari and nes I couldnt beat... waltz thru them.

Mostly miss getting a 99% finish game, BUT... I don't buy alot of games that are in catogory of NBA games that are 20% done and released and updates and payed parts come out for full game.

Most games I buy are 80% I think... Maybe not FO76... but updates are free, so not that mad.

Conan Exiles i another, its got payed dlc, but there supporting game year + in with free fix and updates.

The MAIN THING I miss, which wasnt part of Poll.

Unlocks and Cheat Codes. Good use of Konami code other then taking a dectives pants off in SH3. WTF.
I miss extra lives, level skips, infinte health for days you wanna mess around, outfit unlocks and color swaps, character changes...
I miss that.
I miss game genie on nes, and FFT cheat codes that made game harder.
Choco Cookies!

User Info: Revelation34

Revelation34
1 month ago#26
Expansion packs have always been around so I voted for instruction booklets instead. Even the physical cases are s*** now. Not to mention a lot of "physical" games are still digital.
Gamertag: Kegfarms, BF code: 2033480226, Treasure Cruise code 318,374,355, Steam: Kegfarms

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
1 month ago#27
Revelation34 posted...
Expansion packs have always been around so I voted for instruction booklets instead.

Not on consoles, that was largely a PC only thing until late 00's. Everything bad about PC gaming has made its way to the consoles now, even installing is now mandatory.
Everything will be fire.

User Info: Revelation34

Revelation34
1 month ago#28
xF0x posted...
Not on consoles, that was largely a PC only thing until late 00's. Everything bad about PC gaming has made its way to the consoles now, even installing is now mandatory.

I think Skyrim was the first "physical" digital game.
Gamertag: Kegfarms, BF code: 2033480226, Treasure Cruise code 318,374,355, Steam: Kegfarms

User Info: momo92

momo92
1 month ago#29
Voted for the Instruction manuals option but I totally could've voted for the Games are a full product option
"Music speaks when words fail!" Dokkan ID:748737433
XBL GT: Pathos Da Ghost

User Info: TheGame32

TheGame32
1 month ago#30
well, warning old age showing here.

i miss the fact that i cant just plonk in a cartridge (or CD) and just play straight away. nowadays, every damn game i buy requires a day-one patch to fix things that should have been fixed in the first place. most, if not all, games require an online connection otherwise you can not play the game.

and to a lesser effect, i also miss that i no longer by a full game. every game nowadays comes with some sort of a DLC. i already paid for the game, why should i pay for more stuff that already should have been in it?

EDIT: oh, and i miss manuals. i bought a game for the Gameboy years and years ago, and it had an extra booklet with all the characters, their backstory, their moves, art work and all that stuff. it was fantastic.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Orlando Magic
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7694 - What do you miss most about classic video games?
  • Post New Message