• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7660 - What's the longest you've ever owned a game without actually playing it?

User Info: KLOUDrocks

KLOUDrocks
2 months ago#1
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/poll/7660-whats-the-longest-youve-ever-owned-a-game-without-actually

What's the longest you've ever owned a game without actually playing it?

1. Only as long as it takes to download it or get home from a store
2. Less than a week, I've never put off playing a game for too long
3. 2-4 weeks, I've never held out for more than a month
4. 1-3 months, I've forgotten I even bought some games
5. More than a year, thanks to sales and free monthly titles

User Info: dragwarrfan

dragwarrfan
2 months ago#2
As a kid, my answer would have been only as long as it takes to get home from a store, but now that I have purchased a lot of games at one time on Ebay, my answer is more than a year.
Go Knights Go

User Info: FooFightersFan

FooFightersFan
2 months ago#3
dragwarrfan posted...
As a kid, my answer would have been only as long as it takes to get home from a store, but now that I have purchased a lot of games at one time on Ebay, my answer is more than a year.

The previous time this poll was done in 2012 illustrates this concept quite well. It has gone from 35% to 75%. Getting a new game back in the day was a big deal. Now it's just so easy and games are so cheap if you get them on sale or used. Plus, there are a lot more good games to choose from whereas there were fewer good options back in the day. An interesting development.

Personally I'm in the majority on this one - there have been a couple of games that I've had for a very long time before ever trying them out. A lot of times I'll load up a game and play it for a few minutes and then either never revisit it or come back much later.

User Info: xF0x

xF0x
2 months ago#4
I own a Knuckles Chaotix cartridge that I bought almost two decades ago and I never played it once due to the lack of all the hardware needed to play it. Aside from that I own some DS and 3DS games that are still sealed in box, bought them within the last 10 years but I kind of played most of them on an emulator.
Everything will be fire.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: dancer62

dancer62
2 months ago#5
Years. Games picked up from pawnshops and spiff tables because they were cheap and looked interesting, stuff bought online for peanuts, stuff for collection as "classics" with no intention of ever playing.
If ballet was easy, it would be pointe-less

User Info: Djungelurban

Djungelurban
2 months ago#6
Where's the "Over two decades" option?

User Info: FooFightersFan

FooFightersFan
2 months ago#7
Djungelurban posted...
Where's the "Over two decades" option?

Based on the responses to the poll and this thread, they definitely need to revise the options for next time.

Maybe
<1 mo
1 mo - 1 year
1 year - 5 years
6+

User Info: benbeverfaqs

benbeverfaqs
2 months ago#8
The poll options are silly. Who doesn't have an unplayed game from over a year back lying around somewhere, or one Steam or PSN. Think gifts, second hand bargains or $1 online sales.
My oldest unplayed game is from the early nineties, so 25+ years.

User Info: Pitaya

Pitaya
2 months ago#9
If it's a game I purchased specifically, I tend to start playing it pretty quickly.

Games part of humble bundles (that aren't the ones I specifically wanted from them) tend to gather virtual dust for a while before I finally decide to give them a whirl, usually in a marathon session.
I solemnly swear that I aim to misbehave.

User Info: LordAndrew

LordAndrew
2 months ago#10
About 15 years. I used to play all my new games within a reasonable time frame. I didn't beat every game, but I tried them at least. Come GameCube and Game Boy Advance, I could no longer give time to every new game and the backlog began piling up.
I like video games. They're pretty good.
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7660 - What's the longest you've ever owned a game without actually playing it?
  • Post New Message