• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7474 - BEST OF 2018: System of the Year

User Info: LusterSoldier

LusterSoldier
2 months ago#1
Which of the following best explains how you voted in this poll? - Results (24 votes)
I voted for the system I played the most in 2018
58.33% (14 votes)
I voted for the system which is my overall favorite right now
20.83% (5 votes)
I voted for the system that had the best overall game library in 2018
16.67% (4 votes)
Other (explain in the topic)
4.17% (1 vote)
This poll is now closed.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/poll/7474-best-of-2018-system-of-the-year

System of the Year has always been a very interesting poll, especially when the poll question itself can be interpreted in many different ways by other people. So I made the decision to include a poll with this topic to get a better understanding of how people are interpreting this question and what is the primary factor that made them vote for the specific option they chose.
Luster Soldier --- ~Shield Bearer~ | ~Data Analyst~
Popular at school, but not as cool as Advokaiser, Guru Champ!

User Info: MikeRiley

MikeRiley
2 months ago#2
PC, always. I missed Red Dead Redemption 2, but you can't beat a PC's utility.
Throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart. - Donald Trump

User Info: DeliFlatChest

DeliFlatChest
2 months ago#3
Voted for the Switch.
I play mostly portably and while not having a 2nd screen is gonna suck for some series/games if they will move to the Switch(Etrian Odyssey essentially demanding one, SMT having a better experience with one), it being a better Vita will definitely make it my favorite device this generation.
&&&&
"""""""""""""""""""""""

User Info: Time

Time
2 months ago#4
Voted for PS4 been playing a lot of exclusives this year.
http://karma.hardcore-tm.com - GameFAQs Karma Calculator.

User Info: Time

Time
2 months ago#5
Though if they were available on PC I would play them on PC because I want to be able to cheat god damn it ;_;
http://karma.hardcore-tm.com - GameFAQs Karma Calculator.

User Info: LusterSoldier

LusterSoldier
2 months ago#6
I just went back through the 3 major options in my poll topic and gave my thoughts on why I included them in the poll.

I voted for the system I played the most in 2018

Pretty self-explanatory. I shouldn't have to go into any more detail as to why I included this as a major reason on the poll.

I voted for the system which is my overall favorite right now

Although this does seem similar to the first option, I could see a way in which someone's favorite system wasn't the same system they played the most in 2018. Someone who owns both a PS4 and Switch could be a situation where they spend more time playing games on the PS4 because of the larger overall game library to choose from, but consider the Switch to be their favorite system because it has more of the games they actually love.

Some people also use their PS4 and Switch for totally different purposes, like the PS4 to cover multiplatform releases while the Switch is used for the exclusive games. This could lead to someone accumulating more playtime on the PS4 than the Switch even they don't love the PS4's games as much as the Switch's games. The PS4 is also more likely to have more of the 60+ hour masterpiece games (like RDR2) than a system such as the Switch which is more focused on the Nintendo exclusive games that are generally much quicker to beat. So you might not accumulate as much playtime on Switch compared to PS4 among people who own both systems.

I voted for the system that had the strongest game library in 2018

I do see this as the least likely reason for someone to base their vote on, but I could see some people acknowledging the overall strength of a game's library in a given year (2018 in this case) even if they don't own the system. It could be possible for an Xbox One or Switch only owner to go and research the notable games that came out on PS4 and other systems in 2018 and agree that the PS4 had the better games in 2018 even if they don't own a PS4 themselves.

Another thing is that the poll question itself includes the text "BEST OF 2018", which could imply voting for the system that had the best overall game library for that year. That was a factor in why I included this as an option.
Luster Soldier --- ~Shield Bearer~ | ~Data Analyst~
Popular at school, but not as cool as Advokaiser, Guru Champ!

User Info: coreekymon

coreekymon
2 months ago#7
I voted for Switch. As for why, I went with your first option but it's kind of a combination of all those things. I definitely played Switch the most this year but that was mostly because I spent an insane amount of time on Xenoblade 2, and also a pretty crazy amount of time on the Fire Emblem Warriors DLC, those two games alone took up at least 6 months of the year.
That being said neither of those games actually came out in 2018. I'd still probably say Switch had the best library of 2018 though, but that's based on the small number of 2018 games I got. I think for 2018 games all I got on Switch was Smash Bros, Octopath (which I haven't even played yet), and The World Ends With You (Also haven't played yet) while on PS4 I only got Dissidia Final Fantasy, Shadow of the Colossus, Ni No Kuni II, and Zone of the Enders MARS. I guess it's close but PS4 had 2 remakes and Dissidia was kind of disappointing so I'd probably rather have the Switch games.
And lastly you could probably say Switch is my favorite system right now, partly because of those reasons above, but also if a game was coming out on both PS4 and Switch with minimal differences I'd probably go with the Switch version for the optional portability aspect.
Roy is, and always has been, my boy!
Finally cataloged all my games: http://backloggery.com/coreekymon

User Info: Solarys

Solarys
2 months ago#8
I voted for PC because it's the only system I have, apart from PS3.

However, most of my games are not "native" PC games, but ports from PS4/Vita (and emulation of older consoles). So maybe my vote should've gone to PS4 instead, as far as the actual games are concerned.
"Teamwork is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at."
IBM System x3500 M4 || Xeon E5-2687W v2 || 32 GB DDR3 ECC || Radeon RX 480

User Info: Krazy_Kirby

Krazy_Kirby
2 months ago#9
phones aren't systems
Kill From The Shadows.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot

User Info: Sashanan

Sashanan
2 months ago#10
Did not vote, as I didn't in all the best of 2018 ones, interpreting it as having to do with games that came out in 2018, of which I have played none.
A gentleman will walk, but never run
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7474 - BEST OF 2018: System of the Year
  • Topic Archived