• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7050 - Why aren't you buying more new video games?

User Info: ironyisntdead

ironyisntdead
7 months ago#1
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/poll/7050-why-arent-you-buying-more-new-video-games

I'm busy playing the games I already own.
You havent set a signature for the message boards yet

User Info: Slayer

Slayer
7 months ago#2
I am buying new videogames.

User Info: MikeRiley

MikeRiley
7 months ago#3
Humble bundle switched to mid-2000s era-looking games/platformers and indie type stuff for the last few months. I'll go back to buying games when there's something worth buying. In the meantime, I've put a fair dent in last year's purchases.
Throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart. - Donald Trump

User Info: Mynash

Mynash
7 months ago#4
It's actually a combination of three choices:

I don't have the money to buy more (expenses, expenses everywhere ;__;) + I'm busy playing the games I already own (Have quite a backlog) + I'm waiting to buy them used or on sale. But for now, I went with the last one. I'm all for a good sale.

User Info: Galcian

Galcian
7 months ago#5
Slayer posted...
I am buying new videogames.

This. I bought one yesterday

User Info: pinhead90

pinhead90
7 months ago#6
I love looking at how the results changed over the years, and try to figure out why they did.
This is the first time I'm gonna actually share my thoughts.
(Please refer to the attached image for the graphics.)

https://i.imgur.com/xgHSaxP.jpg

Regarding today's poll, given how the trends evolved over the years, one can assess the following:

- The amout of people who prefer to buy used games or on sales remained virtually unchanged, which sounds pretty natural since it's a matter of preference, and not so much something developers have control over;

- Same goes for people who just don't see themselves as that much of a gamer;

- The oscillation on how many people claim there aren't games worth buying indicates that overall game quality had quite a decline, 2014 being the lowest point probably because it was a year heavily marked by sequels, prequels, and reboots. The fact that gamers's opinions seem to have improved over the last 4 years suggests that developers are picking back up;

- Finally, the first and third options tell a story for themselves. The video game market is becoming over saturated. The rise in competition led to lower prices, thus less people complaining about not affording to buy new games. At the same time, the "I'm busy playing the games I already own" percentage went sky-high because, well, people just have too much stuff to play.

User Info: Dr_Menard

Dr_Menard
7 months ago#7
I usually wait for the sales or GOTY editions.
Ready Player 1

User Info: RyanEsau

RyanEsau
7 months ago#8
I'm busy playing the games I already own. / Don't have the money.

Namely busy, will have money soon but I haven't had any spending money for a minute so that's also part of it. I don't buy every single game new as they come out though, skipping God of War for example and getting later. Don't feel a particular desire to be apart of the initial crowd/playing as soon as possible.

pinhead90 posted...
I love looking at how the results changed over the years, and try to figure out why they did.
This is the first time I'm gonna actually share my thoughts.
(Please refer to the attached image for the graphics.)

https://i.imgur.com/xgHSaxP.jpg

That's quite interesting, more notably I find it interesting the gap there in the number of voters... damn. Has GameFAQs dwindled in popularity since 2009 or just less people paying heed to the daily polls?

Looking back at like the last week of polls, I see the number has even dwindled as well compared to 2016... having like 11-15K votes.
PSN: RyanEsau | https://psnprofiles.com/RyanEsau
PC: i7-6700K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC | https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/gamingtothemax

User Info: nebula2

nebula2
7 months ago#9
There actually has a game to come out that is longer than 4 hours to be worth my time. (looking at you Kirby star allies 100% file :/)
PSN: Nebuladark, Switch FC: SW-0857-4415-9982,
3DS: FC: 0774-5319-1816, ACNL: Nebula from Ygdrasil, MHGen: Serenade.

User Info: DJStrong

DJStrong
7 months ago#10
If anything I need to be buying fewer new games.

Since "more" is relative and will be different to everyone the reason I am not buying more new games is a mix of impulse control (such as it is) and playing games already owned, though none of those reasons would stop me from buying a new game today or tomorrow.

As I am getting older cost is becoming a factor as well, I am struggling to find value in games that are over $50.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood"
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. #7050 - Why aren't you buying more new video games?
  • Topic Archived