Official General Discussion Thread

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. Official General Discussion Thread
This space is designated for discussion about polls in general, for meta-conversation, and for other sorts of topical comments that might not necessarily fit in a thread created for a specific poll. Off-topic comments will be deleted.

To open things up, I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on what might be the best way to track past polls that have been repeated? I know that when a poll is repeated, it contains links to the last times the poll was posted, but I can't think of a good way to find out which polls have been repeated without clicking on each one.
Tired of the spam on the PotD board? Want to actually talk about the GameFAQs Poll of the Day? So do we!
http://tinyurl.com/GF-APotD

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
1 year ago#2
While I have no idea, I find that to be one of the more interesting aspects of the polls. It can be fascinating seeing a change in the gaming, or even non-gaming, culture over time as things change and new ideas and technologies are adapted.

One thing is for certain and it is very obvious when you look back to repeated polls from years past: the amount of people voting daily has dropped greatly. Is it because people don't vote anymore or because the site as a whole is losing members? I know some people I've talked to (not about the polls necessarily) say they don't even visit the homepage anymore. They jump right to where they plan to go.

Edit: Has this topic really been here for four days?? Man I can be oblivious sometimes.
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: The_Mighty_KELP

The_Mighty_KELP
1 year ago#3
I wouldn't be surprised if the site as a whole was losing members, due to YouTube videos of difficult game sections and Let's Plays helping out the inquisitive gaming audience. Reddit also probably stole some traffic. It'd probably be pretty easy to find the site-wide web traffic reports somewhere.
Tired of the spam on the PotD board? Want to actually talk about the GameFAQs Poll of the Day? So do we!

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
1 year ago#4
Makes sense, I suppose. I feel like all the newer accounts I see are not new, just people making new ones for various reasons. I've been coming here since around '97/'98 myself. Actually was just talking about specialized sites vs. Gfaqs vs. new things like Reddit and others with some folks here on an old board recently, I've personally only ever come here and one specialized site (Ninja Gaiden) but even that was slight. Now there are very few game specific sites I hear. Again, I don't know one way or the other since I just come here. Just passing on what I've heard.

User Info: Fulswick

Fulswick
1 year ago#5
There is an option to create and submit your own poll, and it says if your poll is chosen then you will be given credit on the poll results page. I don't recall ever seeing a user mentioned on the poll results page. I submitted two idea for the potd. Both were rejected. Is GameFAQs not accepting ideas for the poll of the day anymore? If they aren't, they should remove the option to create your own poll.
LEVEL-5 makes great games! Professor Layton, Yo-kai watch 1&2, Fantasy Life, Inazuma Eleven... I'm really looking forward to Lady Layton and Yo-kai watch 3!

The_Mighty_KELP
1 year ago#6
Fulswick posted...
There is an option to create and submit your own poll, and it says if your poll is chosen then you will be given credit on the poll results page. I don't recall ever seeing a user mentioned on the poll results page. I submitted two idea for the potd. Both were rejected. Is GameFAQs not accepting ideas for the poll of the day anymore? If they aren't, they should remove the option to create your own poll.

I've seen a message on the poll results page before, saying "this poll idea submitted by xxxgenericuser10". If it's not there, then it's more likely that the poll was come up with by the GameFAQs mod staff. I don't know about the rest of the stuff, but out of curiosity, what were your two poll ideas?

User Info: Fulswick

Fulswick
1 year ago#7
My first poll idea was: Why do you vote in the Poll of the Day?
I forgot exactly what the options were, but I'll try to remember as best I can.
1. I feel obligated to vote, just because it's there.
2. I enjoy discussing the polls on the actual pool of the day board (if they accepted it, they probably would have removed actual).
3. I want to contribute my opinion to the poll results.
4. Just out of habit, I don't really care that much.
5. I almost never vote. There isn't any point. This is one of the first polls I voted in.

My second idea was: Do you regret the time you spent playing video game?
Again, I don't remember the exact options, but it was something like this.
1. Yes. Video games are pointless, and a waste of time.
2. Sometimes. Games don't really accomplish anything, and I wish I had spent that time doing more useful things.
3. I know I play too much, but I can't stop, even if it does negatively impact my life.
4. No, games are just another form of entertainment, no different from doing something else you enjoy.
5. Never. I love video games, and I never regret all the hours I put into playing.
LEVEL-5 makes great games! Professor Layton, Yo-kai watch 1&2, Fantasy Life, Inazuma Eleven... I'm really looking forward to Lady Layton and Yo-kai watch 3!

User Info: gwwak

gwwak
1 year ago#8
Tag
Hardcore - We'll probably be modded for this...
Come visit The Range http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1003-
(message deleted)

The_Mighty_KELP
1 year ago#10
Fulswick posted...
My first poll idea was: Why do you vote in the Poll of the Day?
I forgot exactly what the options were, but I'll try to remember as best I can.
1. I feel obligated to vote, just because it's there.
2. I enjoy discussing the polls on the actual pool of the day board (if they accepted it, they probably would have removed actual).
3. I want to contribute my opinion to the poll results.
4. Just out of habit, I don't really care that much.
5. I almost never vote. There isn't any point. This is one of the first polls I voted in.

My second idea was: Do you regret the time you spent playing video game?
Again, I don't remember the exact options, but it was something like this.
1. Yes. Video games are pointless, and a waste of time.
2. Sometimes. Games don't really accomplish anything, and I wish I had spent that time doing more useful things.
3. I know I play too much, but I can't stop, even if it does negatively impact my life.
4. No, games are just another form of entertainment, no different from doing something else you enjoy.
5. Never. I love video games, and I never regret all the hours I put into playing.

Those don't sound too terrible. You could try re-submitting and see if they get approved on the second try.

gwwak posted...
Tag

Tag... what?
  1. Boards
  2. Actual Poll of the Day Board
  3. Official General Discussion Thread