You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem RP/Social/CYOA/Fanfiction Board
  3. CYOA: Light in the Fog (potentially NSFW)

User Info: BoomChish

BoomChish
2 weeks ago#1
It's National Novel Writing Month (I was a bit off: it's 50k words between November 1st and November 30th. I CAN DO THIS!) and damnit I'm participating, so here we go!

A few notes beforehand: I know this board is on ECMO, so I'll update as soon as is humanely possible once everyone who is actually here gives their answer. In the event of a tie, I'll either flip a coin or use a random number generator online. My work schedule gives me more days off, but when I'm working weekdays, I'm on 12-hour shifts and I obviously can't update on GameFAQs from my work computer. So bear with me.

This story follows Kotaro, the devious unibrow king daimyo of Mokushu following his defeat in Chapter 11 of Revelation. This is obviously slightly AU, so certain things will deviate from the canon story depending on your answers, but I'll keep it as close to the canon story as possible when relevant. Also important to note is that depending on your choices, Kotaro can die. If he does, I'm only going to reboot him twice. After that, he's dead for good. So choose wisely.

Feedback is also always appreciated. I'm a big girl; I can put on my granny panties and deal if you take issue with certain things.

I think that covers it for now. If I can think of anything else, I'll post it.

Light In The Fog

“How’s that? Did I land a single blow?”

The pain was excruciating and he could feel himself losing consciousness fast. He coughed and his lungs rattled, a bitter metallic taste filling his mouth before he fell over onto the lush earth, the searing pain engulfing him.

“A fitting end… Father, you have been avenged. May you rest in peace.”

The last thing he heard were their footsteps crunching on the foliage as they walked away. The pain was rising in crescendo, and then a soft wave of peace and tranquility swept over him.

---

My whole body just felt heavy when I finally came to. As I opened my eyes, my vision was blurred and all I could see were foggy shadows of things, an uncomfortable blur of fuzzy shapes. There was a dull throbbing pain in my head and it was proving hard to collect my thoughts.

What the hell? Where am I?

I took a deep breath and winced as my chest felt like it was on fire. Slowly as I tried to ascertain my surroundings, it hit me - I was fighting against some of those filthy Hoshidan loyalists... and then Saizo of Igasato and his lackeys did me in... I lifted my right hand and gingerly touched my neck, wincing at the brief but insistent stab of pain that shot through me. I pulled my hand away and could feel a wet stickiness on them. It was my blood... blood from the deep gash that Saizo inflicted on me. But he hadn't cut deep enough to kill...

I stared at my hand, but I still couldn't see a thing. It was still a blur of indecipherable fuzzy shapes. I could barely make out the dull brown of my armor, never mind the blood on my hand. It was all just a big foggy blob of nothing.

Something's wrong...

I tried to sit up and the searing pain from my lungs bowled me over again as I fell back down, gasping for air. This is not good... I can't see a thing... and I can barely move without being in so much pain... But I know if I just lay here like a sack of potatoes, I'll be as good as dead. Eventually.

What should I do?

A) Get up! You're a big strong man, even if you're injured! Stop complaining!
B) Stay there for a bit longer. No point in moving if every step hurts like a b****.
C) Call for help. Someone should be around, right?
People are like slinkies: basically useless. And yet it's so amusing to watch them fall down the stairs.
Get off my lawn.

User Info: SaizotheSixth

SaizotheSixth
2 weeks ago#2
A.

Let's face it, being a whiny ninja is not the ninja way.
They're made out of meat. https://youtu.be/7tScAyNaRdQ
https://i.imgtc.com/j3f67nb.jpg

BoomChish
1 week ago#3
Small update since I've got a 12er today and I work this weekend, so with Saizo's answer as the only response, I'll go with

A) Get up! You're a big strong man, even if you're injured! Stop complaining!

I took another deep breath and allowed my nerves to calm down. I can't just stay here like a sad sack; I'm better than this. I didn't endure all that hardship in my youth just to throw it all away here after one arrogant jerk and his crew knocked me out for a round. I'm a survivor and I will prevail!

Gritting my teeth, I carefully sat up again, ignoring the intense pain that shot through my entire body. It felt like being thrown into a raging inferno all while being stabbed from all sides by enemy soldiers. Still, I knew that if I were ever to survive, I would need to get up. Everything around me was still a fog of indecipherable blobs of earthy tones, but the only sounds were the wind whistling through the trees, the persistent wail of the cicadas and the birds chirping overhead. And my own ragged breathing, of course.

I reached out and my hand brushed against something thick and rough, but firm. I let my fingers run across the tree's coarse trunk and pulled myself closer as I leaned against it and used it as leverage to pull myself up to a standing position. Each strenuous movement brought back the fierce pain, but I gritted my teeth once more and eventually got to my feet. As I leaned against the trunk, I tried to catch my breath and recollect my thoughts.

Everything was still just a dense fog in front of me... I still can't see...

I thought back to my Mokushujin training from when I was younger. We were taught how to detect movement in the dark and how to react based upon it, but this was different. I could easily tell it was daytime, but everything was just a big mash of color that didn't take on any actual shape. I waved my hand in front of my face and could see a blur of something moving, but I couldn't see the intricate details of my armor, or my hand itself. I brought my hand close to my face and still couldn't see the lines on the palm of my hand. My heart started to beat faster as realization sunk in: I’m going blind.

I’m going blind… I can’t see anything clearly…

I stayed there, the weight of my body against the heavy trunk as I reflected on my possible options. Heading back west while unable to see clearly was a bad idea – all of the bamboo pitfalls were sprung during the battle against the Hoshidan loyalists, so I would most likely end up impaled on a bamboo spike if I were to head that way. Heading north would invariably lead me into Izumo and while I’d be safe there, I would still have to eventually make my way back to Fuuma to let the council know I’m still alive. Heading south would lead me to the southern shoreline – but other than the sandy beaches, there’s no point in heading there either. Obviously I could head east and head directly back to Fuuma, but given my last known location, it would be a half-day’s trek to the capital, and that’s when able-bodied. Given my current condition, who knows how long it’d take me to get there…

Suddenly, a twig snapped nearby and I was on full alert. My breath quickened and I strained to hear any other noise beyond the typical wildlife.

Someone’s here…

(cont'd)
People are like slinkies: basically useless. And yet it's so amusing to watch them fall down the stairs.
Get off my lawn.

BoomChish
1 week ago#4
(cont'd)

I listened carefully and heard movement to the south. It was barely discernable to the naked ear, but I could hear it – the soft crunch of footsteps on the leafy floor of the forest. The footsteps were slow and calculating – and they were getting louder. They were getting closer…

“Who’s there?” I called out, my voice raspy. “Show yourself!”

The footsteps stopped. I slowly inched my way around the tree trunk and could barely make out the forest in front of me. It was all a garbled blur of brown and green and the occasional pop of color from wildflowers or fresh fruit. But whoever was out there, they were certainly camouflaged well within the dense foliage. I kept my blurred gaze focused on the location from where I last heard the footsteps, hoping for a glimpse of something, anything to help me plan my next move.

Nothing. Still just a big blur of brown and green.

If anything, they were probably waiting to gauge my next move. Might as well go for broke.

“I know you’re still here! Show yourself!” I commanded once more. I reached down and pulled out my shuriken and held it at the ready. I knew I was at a severe disadvantage due to my blindness, but whatever happens, I knew I would at least go down fighting. With extreme vigilance, I started to slowly move towards the last location of the sound. The only sound I heard was my own breathing and my footsteps on the ground.

Suddenly, I felt my foot catch on something and could feel myself losing balance and pitching forward. s***. Well, I’m done for…

And then, just then, I felt my body collide with someone else’s and I could feel them slowly help me rise to my feet. And then, shockingly, I heard, “It’s all right. I’ve got you…”

That voice… It was…

A) a male, Hoshidan
B) a male, Nohrian
C) a male, accent indeterminable
D) a female, Hoshidan
E) a female, Nohrian
F) a female, accent indeterminable

**NOTE** This point here is the "Branch of Fate", if you will. If I reboot, I will reboot from this point on. So choose wisely!
Get off my lawn.
(edited 1 week ago)

SaizotheSixth
1 week ago#5
In honor of the Smash trailer, I press F to pay respects.

F.

BoomChish
1 week ago#6
Since we're at the Branch of Fate, I'll let you in on what the other two options for the first question would've gotten us.

B) Stay there for a bit longer. No point in moving if every step hurts like a b****.
There would've been some expositional flashback before Kotaro finally gets up and we proceed as normal.

C) Call for help. Someone should be around, right?
There's something around all right.
It's a bear.
And Kotaro dies from being mauled by a bear. Good job.
Get off my lawn.

BoomChish
1 week ago#7
Weekend of work is over (got free pizza and cake yay!) and well… Saizo’s still the only one here, so we’re going with:

F) a female, accent indeterminable

That voice… It was very obviously a feminine voice, and a young one at that. But the accent was unlike anything I’d ever heard before. She’s definitely not Hoshidan or Nohrian… and she doesn’t sound like any of the women from the Southern Isles… My body tensed up instantly as I tried desperately to see the details of her face. But alas, everything in front of me was still a huge blur of black and tan and brown. Who the heck is this girl? And how did she conveniently show up near to where I was left for dead?!

“You… who are you?” I demanded, my voice hoarse. “And what are you doing here wandering around in the middle of the forest?”

I felt her hold me at arm’s length and she let out an audible gasp. “Gods… You’re wounded really bad. Let me patch you up first before we discuss anything further. There’s a small grassy knoll just over here…” She then tugged on my arm, as if to lead me, but I stayed rooted to the spot. She then said, “C’mon sir, this way… I can’t treat you if you just stand there.”

“I am the daimyo of Mokushu and you are in my territory. Answer my question first: who are you?” I commanded, my voice taking on a growl. I felt her release my arms, upon which I nearly lost my footing once more. She surged forward and supported my body with her small frame. I then got a whiff of what seemed to be hibiscus – was she wearing it as a perfume? She then murmured, “The daimyo…? Oh, um, are you the leader of this territory?”

Is this girl stupid? “No, I’m the court jester. Of course I’m the leader! You are really testing me with your insolence. Now answer my question!”

She then gave me a little shove and I nearly lost my footing as I grabbed onto the nearest tree trunk for support. Thankfully there was one within arm’s reach, or I would’ve definitely hit the floor. With a voice full of indignation, she said, “Hey, I’m trying to help you! There’s no need to be a total jerk about it! Besides, you’re really worse for wear and…” I then heard her hesitate before she added, with hesitance, “are you blind? You… seem to be very uncoordinated with your movements.”

Okay, so she’s not that stupid… I suppose I can tone down the haughtiness for now… “You are quite perceptive, young one… It appears when I was attacked, they hit me on the side of the head and it did some damage to my eyes. I can see that you’re there, but you’re just a big foggy haze of drab earthy colors… I can’t see your features.” Which was the truth.

“I see. Well then let me get to patching you up first and then we can have a nice long chat about whatever you want,” she replied, her voice calm.

I then felt her place her hand on my arm once more and I allowed her to guide me a few steps over to the aforementioned grassy knoll, whereupon she had me sit down with my back against a tree. She then started to gently probe my wound with her fingers and I let out a groan as a slight stab of pain shot through me. She immediately pulled her hands back. “I’m sorry… are you okay?”

“Y-yeah… It’s nothing I can’t handle,” I grumbled in a low voice. I then heard her let out a little sigh of frustration before I heard her setting out what sounded like random things from what was probably her pack. “What are you doing?”

“Just going to clean out your wound first before I suture your wound shut. Once your skin knits together on its own, I’ll cut the stitches out and you should be as good as new,” she explained. I then heard what sounded like her pouring some liquid into a bowl and dunking a cloth into the liquid bath, which she then wrung out. The residual liquid splattered on the forest ground like excess rainwater.

(cont'd)
Get off my lawn.

BoomChish
1 week ago#8
(con'td)

“I beg your pardon? You’re going to what?” The concern in my voice was all too palpable. “I’ve never heard of that kind of treatment…”

“Think of it like sewing together a tear in some cloth, except instead of cloth, I’ll be sewing your skin together. That way, your body can heal the wound on its own and allow your skin to knit together.” I must’ve made a face, because she added, “I’ve done this before on my pops. His wounds were a lot worse than yours, and he managed to pull through just fine.” She then rapped her knuckle against my shoulder. “I’m going to need you to remove your chest armor in order for me to get better access to your wound. Think you can help me with that?”

I nodded as I felt around for the various clasps and fastens that held the upper part of my armor together and started to undo them. A part of me was a bit surprised that she wasn’t intimidated by the rather ferocious looking spikes on the arm plates of my ninja armor, but I decided not to dwell on it. She is trying to help me after all… As I removed the armor from my upper body, I felt the crisp breeze against my bare skin and let out a small sigh. I then felt her dab at my wound with her damp cloth. It stung upon contact and my body recoiled slightly, but after the initial stinging subsided, the cool cloth felt oddly comforting against my skin. I then said, “I hope I’m not being a total jerk, but would it be too offensive if I were to ask you your name?” I asked, my voice as polite as possible.

“My name’s Kiyara. As you’ve probably guessed, I’m not from around these parts.” I then heard her dunk her cloth in the water again and wring it out before she dabbed at my wound again. “So what’s your name, daimyo? Or am I just supposed to call you by your title?”

Heh. She’s got some sass to her. “We-ell… you are treating me, so I suppose I should be more lenient on formal decorum, if you will. I am called Kotaro; and Mokushu is my land. I’ve been daimyo of Mokushu for well over two decades.” I heard her make a sound before I added, “So… Kiyara… if you’re not from Hoshido – and neither are you from Nohr based on your talking style – where are you from, if I may ask?”

She remained silent for a moment as she continued to treat my wound before she let out a small chuckle. “Heh… Hoshido and Nohr… My pops told me so many stories about the mythical kingdoms of Hoshido and Nohr. I never thought in a million years that they’d actually exist… And yet, here I am…”

I was taken aback by her words. Mythical? “What the… Where the heck are you from if you consider Hoshido and Nohr mythical kingdoms?” I demanded, my lip curling in surprise.

Kiyara scoffed. “You probably think my homeland is some mythical place that doesn’t really exist, but… Anyway, I’m from the sandy desert land of Plegia. You won’t find it on any of your maps, that’s for damn sure.” She then let out a heavy sigh of defeat. “I just sure wish I could find my way back to familiar territory. It's like the farther I go, the more I get lost. I mean, not that I want to go back to Plegia, but at least if I know where I am, I can plan my next move.”

There's something in her tone of voice... “Wait… why don’t you want to go back home?”

A barely audible huff was her only response as she continued to administer to my wound. But her movements were a bit stiffer, as if my line of questioning was treading into dangerous territory. Still, I needed to know why she was even here in the first place, especially if home was that far away for her...

A) Press her for more information. She’s let the cat out of the bag; she can’t just leave it at that!
B) Leave her be. She’ll tell me when she’s good and ready.
C) Tell her you know how to get back to Plegia. It’s not true, but she won’t know that…
Get off my lawn.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Eldin

Eldin
1 week ago#9
I vote A
Under the sky of nowhere we search for the answer to seize our lives
Forgetting the tears as we set our eyes beyond the lights

SaizotheSixth
1 week ago#10
I vote B.

A smart ninja knows when to press for info and not press for info, and considering that she holds all the power, I foresee a bad end if we press for info now.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem RP/Social/CYOA/Fanfiction Board
  3. CYOA: Light in the Fog (potentially NSFW)