• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Where are local save files kept in the PC re-release?

User Info: TWEEK_23

TWEEK_23
8 years ago#1
Was wondering where local save files are kept on a PC hard drive, and also if this file can be transferred from one PC to another.

I have been playing the game on my PC, and was wondering if I can switch back and forth with my laptop.

User Info: shinra35800

shinra35800
8 years ago#2
Appdata > local or roaming probably (just guessing). I don't know why they just don't put PC game saves in the actual game's folder -_-

User Info: Toriniku79

Toriniku79
8 years ago#3
Because an application can't write to subfolders of c:\program files unless it's started in admin mode under windows 7.

User Info: SpaceAgeSamurai

SpaceAgeSamurai
8 years ago#4
As long as both computers have an internet connection, in theory, the cloud saves should keep both computers' save files synced, automatically.

That said, their cloud saves are a temperamental beasty and seem to cause more trouble than they're worth. (It would probably be better if it was handled like Steam, where the saves are synced only when a program starts up and shuts down, rather than every time they're accessed, so you aren't beholden to the fluctuating nature of server loads and net traffic, every time you need to access them, but I digress.)

It looks like the saves (and other configuration data) are stored in your My Documents folder. That's: C:\Users\<your user name>\My Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\
if you're using Vista or Windows 7.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

User Info: TWEEK_23

TWEEK_23
8 years ago#5
Sorry for not replying earlier.

As mentioned above, the saves are in the my documents folder under "squaresoft".

Made switching computers easier. I don't use cloud saves because I don't have reliable internet in the some of the areas I want to play the game in.

User Info: Ubergrim3

Ubergrim3
8 years ago#6
So wait, you don't have to use cloud saves? How do you configure that? They've been ticking me off a little.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the Professor! - The Professor
GT: xCOLBY JACKx

User Info: devilsnight

devilsnight
8 years ago#7
Yeah the cloud saves act quirky and are a pain to deal with. Sometimes I have to wait almost 10 minutes for the save files to sync. I'd be interested to know if there's a way to just use local saves.
What? Shir is gone?

User Info: Ubergrim3

Ubergrim3
8 years ago#8
devilsnight posted...
Yeah the cloud saves act quirky and are a pain to deal with. Sometimes I have to wait almost 10 minutes for the save files to sync. I'd be interested to know if there's a way to just use local saves.

I know at least twice the cloud save function just flat-out broke and I was unable to save at all no matter how long I waited. Thankfully the janky cloud saves taught me to save as often as I could, so I didn't lose any more than a half hour's progress each time. Still... UGH.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the Professor! - The Professor
GT: xCOLBY JACKx
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Where are local save files kept in the PC re-release?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A