1 month ago #8
Another thing I always like to look at is what each studio has to work with going into awards season; especially for smaller studios, you have to really concentrate on one film as your big play and maybe a second for individual performances/screenplay. Here's what everybody has that has at least some shot for a Big 5 category:

Disney (Disney/Pixar/Fox/Fox Searchlight)

Ford v. Ferrari (Fox)
Jojo Rabbit (Fox Searchlight)
A Hidden Life (Fox Searchlight)

Warner Bros.

Joker
Just Mercy

Sony (Sony/Columbia/SPC/Tristar)

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Columbia)
Little Women (Columbia)
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Tristar)
Pain and Glory (SPC)

Universal

Queen & Slim

Netflix

The Irishman
Marriage Story
The Two Popes
Dolemite is My Name

A24

The Farewell
Waves
The Lighthouse
Uncut Gems

Neon

Parasite
Clemency

Focus Features

Harriet
Dark Waters

Lionsgate

Bombshell
Knives Out

Amazon

The Report

STX

Hustlers

Roadside Attractions

Judy

A couple of things jump out immediately:

-Holy crap, Sony has a STRONG slate of films going into awards season-3 potential Best Picture nominees and a Best Actor/Best International Film nominee. Really interesting choices here for them, I think at least one of those four might get shuttled to the side; that, and with the Oscars moving up to early February, Little Women (a Christmas release) might have a tougher time breaking through the crowd unless they get screeners out way earlier.
-Netflix has a strong group, although they have a ton of resources and in a good position choice wise: 2 across the board contenders assuming The Irishman delivers and two movies where you can just focus on Best Actor.
-A24 is probably choosing between Waves and The Farewell as their big play, with their other two films going for acting categories
-With Just Mercy flopping at TIFF, it's all steam ahead with Joker for WB
-Ford v. Ferrari actually got very soft reviews at TIFF (down to 88%, 6.9 average on RT), but if it does well at the box office it's still Disney's strongest play...unless they think a small but very dedicated group loves Jojo Rabbit, enough for a BP nom.
-Universal has only two contenders and nobody has seen either of them yet. Hard to say about them.
-Neon quietly has a stellar fall lineup with the above two films and Portrait of a Lady on Fire.
My unending quest to review all 554 Best Picture Nominees: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/227-movies-at-the-theater/77413506
Duke/Stanford/GSW/A's/Raiders