1 month ago #4
Harriet got exactly the reviews you would expect: Cynthia Erivo is very good, but the movie as a whole is a middling biopic.

On The Farewell: it's really hard for a film released July that made $16 million to get nominated for Best Picture-basically, the exact same situation Eighth Grade was in last year from the same studio. That's the only one of these that feels really unlikely, even if I could see nominations for Actress, Supporting Actress and maybe Screenplay. That, and A24 has a lot on their campaign plate: Waves was a big emotional crowd-pleaser at Telluride and TIFF and could be their big play, Sandler for Uncut Gems and Dafoe for The Lighthouse are all possibilities. However, they can only realistically focus on two or maybe three of the four.

Hustlers: if it's a big box office hit, then it's got a shot. It's running in a pretty clear weekend given how bad The Goldfinch bombed in Toronto, will be interesting to see how it does.

A Hidden Life: an interesting example of how Best Picture nominations work: the key is to get a small group of people who love your movie and vote it first, having a bunch of people voting it 3rd or 4th doesn't really help. Malick has enough stans that it could break through, although
My unending quest to review all 554 Best Picture Nominees: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/227-movies-at-the-theater/77413506
Duke/Stanford/GSW/A's/Raiders

Previous Versions
1 month ago
Harriet got exactly the reviews you would expect: Cynthia Erivo is very good, but the movie as a whole is a middling biopic.
1 month ago

On The Farewell: it's really hard for a film released July that made $16 million to get nominated for Best Picture-basically, the exact same situation Eighth Grade was in last year from the same studio. That's the only one of these that feels really unlikely, even if I could see nominations for Actress, Supporting Actress and maybe Screenplay.