• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Corpse Party
  3. Wondering if I should buy this

User Info: Chikazz

Chikazz
4 years ago#1
I need some info. I love horror, but I'm more into psychological horror, particularly mindf*** horror and reality horror, than jumpscares or gorefests. I don't find gore scary. I can't really find many bad reviews for this game, I love VNs, and the praise for the writing piques my interest... But I want to know more before I decide. Any advice?

User Info: AutumnQueen

AutumnQueen
4 years ago#2
Oh, you want a mind****? This game Will deliver! I don't want to risk giving you TMI, it would spoil it. But this is a game that will mess with you in every way. Go for it!

User Info: Chikazz

Chikazz
4 years ago#3
Thanks, but I was really looking for more details. How gory is it? What kind of horror? What are the pros and cons? I read a few reviews, but I still can't decide.

User Info: AutumnQueen

AutumnQueen
4 years ago#4
If you must know.......Okay, we've got slasher style killings, killer ghosts and a guy who somehow makes me think of Leatherface from the Texas Chainsaw Massecure movies. And flirts around with topics of incest, animal cruelty, homosexuality and cannibalism, to name a few. Pros might include the writing and script dialogues, and graphics. Cons might include a slight lack of save points. Also, with multiple endings based on what you do and choices you make, it's hard to know what to do or what your actions and decisions will result in without consulting a walkthrough.

User Info: FFTHEWINNER

FFTHEWINNER
4 years ago#5
do note though that the visual gore isnt much.its scariness comes from sound and atmosphere.
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png

FFTHEWINNER
4 years ago#6
also yeah,you should buy it ;)

User Info: MoogleCharmz

MoogleCharmz
3 years ago#7
I suggest you watch a playthrough of chapter one on YouTube if your still unsure. Don't worry, it won't reveal hardly anything plot wise and sets up the mood of the game well.

That being said, this game is all about atmosphere, letting your imagination do the heavy lifting, and making you feel genuinely disturbed over some of the fates that befall some of the students. There's not really any gore or viscera like RE or silent hill. There are certain visual novel moments that have some creepy imagery but most of the "gore" is audio related.

Difficulty wise, I was able to discover all endings but I think two without a guide. There are a few legit "lolwut!!" moments from making the wrong choice that I enjoyed discovering. Once again this game is about the experience and not stellar gameplay. The writing is very solid, particularly the gruesome descriptions during certain wrong ends. This game is cruel to its cast and you'll be honestly disturbed unless your dead inside already lol.

Overall I went from not knowing about the series to having played all 3 mainline titles and watching a playthrough of the sequel that was cancelled. Let me give you two tips...

1.) USE HEADPHONES AT ALL TIMES! This cannot be stressed enough, it adds so much to the weight of the horror in this game.

2.) Play this and Book of Shadows. WATCH someone else play Blood Drive. The 3rd game is a disaster compared to the first two and does more to hurt the story and characters then help it imo. To clear up confusion the "main" series goes...

Corpse Party > Book of Shadows > Blood Drive These are all direct sequels involving the original cast.
Corpse Party 2 : Dead Patient. This was a brand new story with new characters that was cancelled.

Sorry for the text wall but you asked for detail. I hope this helps.

FFTHEWINNER
3 years ago#8
I suggest you watch a playthrough of chapter one on YouTube if your still unsure. Don't worry, it won't reveal hardly anything plot wise and sets up the mood of the game well.

that is a really really bad advice IMO. the entire point of the game is the horror atmosphere. a YT video would never provide that. and controlling the characters and making wrong moves that leads to bad ends makes the bad ends all the more horrifying. watching is never as immersive as playing,but especially so in horror games like this one.

also," the sequel that was cancelled"? are you talking about Dead Patent?because that wasnt canceled. it is getting remastered in the Unity engine.

Also,i havent played Blood Drive yet,although i bought the collector's edition for an incredible deal, but all the negative reputation about it (not what you said specifically,the general thoughts) really makes me sad and disappointed considering how much i love the CP series :(

other than that though,i agree with you :)

User Info: MoogleCharmz

MoogleCharmz
3 years ago#9
FFTHEWINNER posted...

that is a really really bad advice IMO. the entire point of the game is the horror atmosphere. a YT video would never provide that. and controlling the characters and making wrong moves that leads to bad ends makes the bad ends all the more horrifying. watching is never as immersive as playing,but especially so in horror games like this one.

also," the sequel that was cancelled"? are you talking about Dead Patent?because that wasnt canceled. it is getting remastered in the Unity engine.

Also,i havent played Blood Drive yet,although i bought the collector's edition for an incredible deal, but all the negative reputation about it (not what you said specifically,the general thoughts) really makes me sad and disappointed considering how much i love the CP series :(

other than that though,i agree with you :)

In regards to YT, it's just chapter one. It's how I made my mind up to buy the whole series so it worked for me.

As for Dead Patient in unity, I thought that was essentially vaporware at this point iirc with little to no new information. However if that's still on the table I hope they don't make it look like blood drive and kill the original look for it.

User Info: HYPERMECHA

HYPERMECHA
3 years ago#10
1.) USE HEADPHONES AT ALL TIMES! This cannot be stressed enough, it adds so much to the weight of the horror in this game.

Yeah I agree with that. The volume is rather quiet & subtle even if you have it maxed out, and I didn't realize how much was actually going on that I couldn't hear at first. Even if you can't understand Japanese it's worth it to have headphones on for the sound effects alone, because there are tiny things you can easily miss if you don't.

Personally, I love horror but hate jumpscares, and find excess gore usually corny & unrealistic. I like the psychological factor. This game isn't going to scare you out of your wits, but it's definitely fun to play late at night with all the lights off, to get into the mood.
[= [__] =] []\[]intendo.......(+.[___]:) PSP
[+ [__] : ] []_)S ..............[+ [__] : ] MICRO size it!
  1. Boards
  2. Corpse Party
  3. Wondering if I should buy this
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

Chapter 5 Bomb Shelter Maze help? Side Quest3 Answers