• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Jesserae

Jesserae
1 year ago#1
Just got this game after having it suggested more than once, so i assume it's supposed to be good.
My first 5 minutes of the game have showed me it's probably garbage, Is it normal for the RNG to cheat? literally f***ing cheat!, in the tutorial I missed 5 attacks in a row, and was crit 4 times in a row and it was finished before it started.
Is this bulls*** going to occur frequently throughout the game?, if it happens in the literal tutorial I'm not sure this game will be worth the obvious frustration from the blatantly unbalanced mechanics.

On the second attempt it played completely in my favour, winning easily before either my characters hit 75% HP.
Praise The Sun - DDDA Pawn Ciri (Ranger)
PSN: Darkestsoul92

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
1 year ago#2
Jesserae posted...
Just got this game after having it suggested more than once, so i assume it's supposed to be good.
My first 5 minutes of the game have showed me it's probably garbage

Oh s***, here we go again...

Jesserae posted...
Is it normal for the RNG to cheat? literally f***ing cheat!, in the tutorial I missed 5 attacks in a row, and was crit 4 times in a row and it was finished before it started.

You'll definitely have times like this, but it's not frequent. And if you meant "tutorial" as the old road (Reynauld/Dismas only), I don't see how you could have possibly died tbh, even if you made glaring mistakes. It's pretty much designed as an auto-win.

Jesserae posted...
it happens in the literal tutorial I'm not sure this game will be worth the obvious frustration from the blatantly unbalanced mechanics.

On the second attempt it played completely in my favour, winning easily before either my characters hit 75% HP.

As I said, it's not frequent, but small mistakes can obliterate your run.

I mean this in the absolute nicest way, but despite my love for this game (top 20 GOAT easy), it seems like you dont have much patience/ambition to learn, so sadly this may simply not be the game for you.

If you WOULD like to learn, I'd be more than happy to offer advice or answer any questions you have, and I also suggest checking out r/darkestdungeon on Reddit, the community there knows literally every aspect of the game.

Good luck, regardless of your decision.
"In the end we're all dicks".-ReiderAsmadi
Candy, tastes like chicken if chicken was a candy -Toki Wartooth

User Info: Jesserae

Jesserae
1 year ago#3
Lord_Wombat posted...
Jesserae posted...
My first 5 minutes of the game have showed me it's probably garbage

Oh s***, here we go again...

Jesserae posted...
Is it normal for the RNG to cheat? literally f***ing cheat!, in the tutorial I missed 5 attacks in a row, and was crit 4 times in a row and it was finished before it started.

You'll definitely have times like this, but it's not frequent. And if you meant "tutorial" as the old road (Reynauld/Dismas only), I don't see how you could have possibly died tbh, even if you made glaring mistakes. It's pretty much designed as an auto-win.

Jesserae posted...
it happens in the literal tutorial I'm not sure this game will be worth the obvious frustration from the blatantly unbalanced mechanics.

As I said, it's not frequent, but small mistakes can obliterate your run.

I mean this in the absolute nicest way, but despite my love for this game (top 20 GOAT easy), it seems like you dont have much patience/ambition to learn, so sadly this may simply not be the game for you.

If you WOULD like to learn, I'd be more than happy to offer advice or answer any questions you have, and I also suggest checking out r/darkestdungeon on Reddit, the community there knows literally every aspect of the game.

Good luck, regardless of your decision.

It seems it was a freak accident, nothing like it has happened again in the last few hours.
As for patience and ambition, well I've got the patience of a saint irl and in videogames, many of my favourite games have equal too or far more depth than Darkest dungeon, ambition not so much, I don't have a strong desire to achieve highly in something that may not be worth while. From what I've seen so far I'll likely continue playing and I'll acknowledge my original post is somewhat of a knee jerk reaction in response to a freak accident in the tutorial, there were no glaring mistakes my characters just failed to connect over and over while being crit over and over.
Praise The Sun - DDDA Pawn Ciri (Ranger)
PSN: Darkestsoul92

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
1 year ago#4
Jesserae posted...
It seems it was a freak accident, nothing like it has happened again in the last few hours.

That's good to hear, like I said it's very infrequent.

Jesserae posted...
As for patience and ambition, well I've got the patience of a saint irl and in videogames, many of my favourite games have equal too or far more depth than Darkest dungeon, ambition not so much, I don't have a strong desire to achieve highly in something that may not be worth while.

Fair enough, I'd really hate to see frustration keep anyone from trying this game. It'll kick your ass for sure, but patience is an absolute must here, because as the game tells you at the start, you WILL lose heroes, but it's never the end unless you want it to be.

Jesserae posted...
From what I've seen so far I'll likely continue playing and I'll acknowledge my original post is somewhat of a knee jerk reaction in response to a freak accident in the tutorial, there were no glaring mistakes my characters just failed to connect over and over while being crit over and over.

Nice, that's good to hear, and no worries, it happens.

Really weird that the tutorial would do you like that though, I've done it legitimately 50+ times, and other than a few missed it a unlucky crit, I've never seen that in the tutorial. Really weird :/

Enjoy the game, and don't be afraid to @ me if you have any questions.
"In the end we're all dicks".-ReiderAsmadi
Candy, tastes like chicken if chicken was a candy -Toki Wartooth

User Info: randomsentinel

randomsentinel
1 year ago#5
RNG is the biggest factor in the game. You can try your best to mitigate it, and that is a large part of the general strategy for the game, but sometimes you eat 2 back to back crits and your Occultist heals for 0 and bleeds your character to death. It can be frustrating but don't let it stop you from enjoying this otherwise masterpiece of a game. Combat is the thing you do the most and I would suggest to try and enjoy the other things about it like the great narration, art, music, and lore :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/xShuffleFM
Rathalos for MVC3! "This is my last response to you forever" - XxZiomaxX
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A