• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Darkest Dungeon
  3. I wanna jump into this game. Any tips?

User Info: b0mbardini

b0mbardini
2 years ago#1
I love tactical turn-based games, but numerous and long menus overwhelm me. I do not like to do a lot of reading when playing a video game. I tried the game twice before but didn’t spend much time on it. The menus and stats put me off. I still feel I might love it once I totally grasp it. I’d appreciate any tips that could ease off my way into the game.

User Info: vicil

vicil
2 years ago#2
Hmm... well try playing on Radiant mode to start, but keep the default gameplay settings. This doesn't affect combat difficulty, but it will lower the cost of upgrades, letting you progress faster. Next, make sure to spend your first few upgrades on the Stage Coach, so you always have enough new recruits to replace any you lose (or fire).

After that, just learn by doing. It's important to learn how each hero class works in teams. There are compositions that synergise better than others, like "Mark" teams, or "Riposte" teams. You can't avoid absorbing a certain breadth of trivia, but that can be fun too.

Here's a cheat sheet for provisions:
https://i.redd.it/i9s3z0p194b11.jpg

And make sure not to turn on Crimson Court. That can mess you up if you don't know what you're doing.
The mini pizzas / My favourite dish, any time / Share one? Tough request.

b0mbardini
2 years ago#3
vicil posted...
Hmm... well try playing on Radiant mode to start, but keep the default gameplay settings. This doesn't affect combat difficulty, but it will lower the cost of upgrades, letting you progress faster. Next, make sure to spend your first few upgrades on the Stage Coach, so you always have enough new recruits to replace any you lose (or fire).

After that, just learn by doing. It's important to learn how each hero class works in teams. There are compositions that synergise better than others, like "Mark" teams, or "Riposte" teams. You can't avoid absorbing a certain breadth of trivia, but that can be fun too.

Here's a cheat sheet for provisions:
https://i.redd.it/i9s3z0p194b11.jpg

And make sure not to turn on Crimson Court. That can mess you up if you don't know what you're doing.

Thank you! I’ve started on Radiant mode at first, but then I figuered I want to play on normal difficultly because I want the game to be challenging. I’m starting to get the hang of it. Btw, are there any items that reduce stress?

vicil
2 years ago#4
There are Trinkets that reduce stress gained, but the main ways to reduce stress in a dungeon are Skills and Curios.

Jester, Houndmaster, Crusader, Leper, Abomination and Flagellant can reduce stress during combat. If you're on a "Medium" or "Long" mission, you can Camp (use Firewood item), and reduce stress with Camp Skills. You can also reduce stress with critical strikes, and you can crit more often in darkness (but enemies can crit you as well).

Here's a list of Curios:
https://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Curio

I suggest you memorise the Curios which reduce stress and cure negative quirks.

Outside of a dungeon, you use the Tavern and the Abbey. OR, if a hero has three or less pips of stress, just leave them idle, and they lose 5 stress each week.

User Info: Nathalmighty1

Nathalmighty1
2 years ago#5
Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer!
A cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal!

vicil
2 years ago#6
The abyss returns even the boldest gaze!

b0mbardini
2 years ago#7
vicil posted...
There are Trinkets that reduce stress gained, but the main ways to reduce stress in a dungeon are Skills and Curios.

Jester, Houndmaster, Crusader, Leper, Abomination and Flagellant can reduce stress during combat. If you're on a "Medium" or "Long" mission, you can Camp (use Firewood item), and reduce stress with Camp Skills. You can also reduce stress with critical strikes, and you can crit more often in darkness (but enemies can crit you as well).

Here's a list of Curios:
https://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Curio

I suggest you memorise the Curios which reduce stress and cure negative quirks.

Outside of a dungeon, you use the Tavern and the Abbey. OR, if a hero has three or less pips of stress, just leave them idle, and they lose 5 stress each week.

Thanks!! I’m really starting to get addicted to the game. I’m happy I gave it another shot!
  1. Boards
  2. Darkest Dungeon
  3. I wanna jump into this game. Any tips?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A