• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. One Piece Treasure Cruise
  3. Feel like I've hit a wall. Need help getting better.

User Info: Roosterofdoom

Roosterofdoom
6 months ago#1
I'm fairly new to this game, I'll be hitting 60 days sometime this week. I'm up to Gates of Justice in Adventure Mode, and I struggle a lot progressing with the story or Extra Island events. I mainly use a Powerhouse team, here's a link to most of my units:

http://imgur.com/a/wGKHTis.

I'm still learning something new about the mechanics of this game everyday, but I don't really know what I'm missing at this point. I'm maybe only halfway through Adventure and it's only going to get harder from here.

My main team is:

Monster Point Chopper (S) (Captain) 2.75x boost to Powerhouse, but drops RCV to 0. Useless special.

Hody Jones (I) (6☆) His CA doubles HP and triples ATK, but only if helper captain is Powerhouse too. Also cuts 10% HP each turn, so specials are practically useless because by the time they get charged, you've lost 90% of HP. Which, even if it's doubled, is barely enough to take one hit. Special blocks 60% damage at Level 1 and 90% at Level 2.

Daruma (D) Special cuts 10% enemy HP and boosts Powerhouse ATK by 1.75 for 1 turn.

Hyozou (Q) Heals 20% HP, delays enemies 1 turn, and changes all Powerhouse character slots to matching types.

Born Again Sanji (S) Blocks 50% damage at Level 1, 70% at Level 2. Increases slot effectiveness 1.75x for 1 turn.

I know I messed up giving all my Cotton Candy to Luffy, but I was counting on him being the captain to carry me through everything after he Super Evolves. Like I said, I've been struggling and failing almost every chapter at least once since Water 7. And I just get stomped in Extra Island events. Though I don't try them too much. I have no idea how anyone gets through this. I'm a free-to-play player, only because Rainbow Gems in this game are stupid expensive. $5 for one random character is a hard pass for me.

P.S. Is this Sugo-Fest worth it? Last one I feel like I got ripped off, but the one before I saved up 150 RG and got 2 Legends and a lot of good things. Does saving for 10+1 feel worth it to you?
~Rod.
3DS FC: 0018-1745-7525

User Info: TerWill20

TerWill20
6 months ago#2
I don't blame you for struggling with Story Mode, especially when you don't have that much varied characters. You actually have a pretty nice Powerhouse team, but it has potential to become even better.
Some units that you might want to look out for are other fishmen in his batch since they're pretty much made for Hody:

» Ikaros (x1.75 Orb boost & x1.5 attack boost if enemy is delayed)

» Zeo (Chain Lock at x2.5 & easier perfects; counters Hyouzou's)

» Dosun (also manipulates orbs & different orbs than Hyouzou, so w/ both of 'em, you get full matching orbs, & he has x1.5 ATK and Orb Boost by himself)

» Another good option is Marcos since he's a powerhouse and heals your team with a significant amount if you still feel iffy about Hody Jones' HP shaves

» There are plenty of other units that are also great, like NW Sanji, NW Chopper (both affinities), RR Garp, Fujitora, Pica, and Fukaboshi (these are just a few -- I'm pretty sure there's plenty of great powerhouses out there!)

You also could hopefully continue to 3D2Y island and evolve Luffy and he should be able to bring you a bit further into Story Mode as he's a pretty decent character to have. I don't know anything about Global at the moment, but if you have some sort of exp booster -- like ships -- clearing fortnights give you a really nice amount of exp.

I know this might a bit harsh, and it's completely up to you, but there's always an option of rerolling for a better account. I know it sucks to destroy so much progress, but hey, if you can get better units, you'd probably reach the same amount of progress in no time!

I'm currently only a JPN player and the current sugo for me is Katakuri and other new batches. For myself, I'm currently skipping just because I wanna save my gems, and I know that friends are gonna pull for him anyways. I also think his CA is not game-broken as much as Lufface I feel. *Could be wrong* But I believe the latest Global Sugo is Doffy v2. I personally think he's a great unit to have, but it's always nice to pull several legends within 1 acc. Lucy is also nice if you manage to pull him, as he could breeze through story mode pretty fast.

User Info: theflowofchi

theflowofchi
6 months ago#3
when starting out you'll always hit a roadblock eventually. No worries. It may be unfortunate but you may need to wind back. Getting more characters from pulling doesn't always help, cuz you need to spend even more stamina/resources powering them up that may not neccessarily aid the team on a whole. It's best to get a few special levels and sockets on a solid team so that you're able to stall appropriately for harder content.

stuff that's always suggested to rookies is get some of the cheap super utility units from the rookie fortnights and books (and from special quests when available) and max them. Especially GOD golden pound usopp. Alvida and Coby should be worked on if you're willing too. In fact in the last TM, there was special chopperman quests for all 3 of their books. should be a snap if you did that, if not wait for the next time the special requests come around (pretty frequently now it seems). You also need to work a few units that reduce bind/despair and other ailments, etc. Helmeppo from coby's FN works for beginners.

failure through a quest is normal, unless you always look up stage info first to deal with the gimmicks. A normal team that has a atk booster/ orb booster/ orb manipulator will carry you through most normal stages, but the gimmicks are what will get you.

Roosterofdoom
6 months ago#4
I'd love if you could break down that first and second paragraph. How do I increase special level, what are sockets? What are fortnights? What are books?

I guess what I'm really asking for is advice making my team stronger. I know it's a pretty competent team, though I could use a better captain. But I have no idea how to make them stronger after maxing their level.
~Rod.

User Info: vreaker12

vreaker12
6 months ago#5
Roosterofdoom posted...
I'd love if you could break down that first and second paragraph. How do I increase special level, what are sockets? What are fortnights? What are books?

I guess what I'm really asking for is advice making my team stronger. I know it's a pretty competent team, though I could use a better captain. But I have no idea how to make them stronger after maxing their level.

You increase special level by feeding the character with same copies of character or skillbooks. Make sure you do this during special skill up event. Different skillbooks might drop from different forthnight islands. You can check out these from the info tab to know which forthnight you want to farm. On average during special skill up event you gain one level up per five books/character copies.

Sockets give your character abilities such as autoheal, anti lock, anti despair etc. You get these randomly from feeding same character during powerup or feeding forbidden tomes. Note that different character has different number of sockets available. In general you get between 3-5 socket slots available.

Maxing your crew’s special and sockets definitely make them stronger. Additionally some. Hara ters also have limit break ability that grants greater stats and new abilities as well.

Hope this helps

theflowofchi
6 months ago#6
have you visited the optc reddit page? Read up on it; it'll explain a lot of the mechanics and has great tutorial/beginner info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePieceTC/

fortnights are the non-clash multi-stamina quests you get from extra island... although the name doesn't really fit as much any more. They use to last 2 weeks (a fortnight); now only the newest ones do, while the rest last 1 week or less.

The "beginner fortnights" refer to the quests now available permanently from the "rookie support quests" and "intermediate support quests". It's there that you can find some of the older/weaker but super useful and easy to max/skillmax units.

You can get sockets for the strawhats in the twilight party/midnight party in the beginner support quests.

Roosterofdoom
6 months ago#7
Thank you both. I had no idea what those quests were or what they were for. So I need to try to farm copies of my crew for sockets, and their manuals to make their specials charge faster. And Cotton Candy for stat growth. Socketing sounds like a big headache though. I think that's gonna be what I need.
~Rod.

theflowofchi
6 months ago#8
yeah socketing is totally a rng headache. But once you start socketing, it totally changes the game. You can at max sockets avoid 3 turns of bind and/or despair, which is totally needed for raid bosses (aokiji for example) and harder content. Not having to dedicate a unit slot to b/d unlocker allows you better burst damage/orb manipulation.

When you get autoheal to level 5, you will heal 1000 hp per turn. If you stall 17 turns, that's 17,000 hp healed, which gives you a lot of leeway to stall and not have to worry about praying for meat orbs / bringing a healer (which again frees up a unit slot). You want to aim for this eventually, but even beginners shouldget at least lvl 2-3 to help you a lot with stalling for specials.

This is where the old rookie units shine. (alvida, coby, smoker, etc) easy to farm, so much easier to socket. Same for strawhats.

Roosterofdoom
6 months ago#9
Is it possible to transfer sockets? So I farm someone easy to get like Alvida, feed her copies to herself and get the sockets, then feed the fully socketed Alvida to someone I actually use, do those transfer? Is that how that works? Because otherwise I don't see how it's possible to socket legends like my Hody. Other than those skillbooks, which I have used. But a very very slow and tedious process for a full team. If it doesn't work like that it definitely should.
~Rod.

User Info: Januseses

Januseses
6 months ago#10
Sockets don't transfer when you feed them to other units, unfortunately. CC does however. Pro tip: Feed CC to penguins then feed them to your units (1 penguin with +100 ATK and 1 penguin with +100 HP) to save yourself a lot of Beli.

Once you're able to start beating colos (colosseum) you'll get a pretty decent amount of Forbidden Tomes, which give you sockets. But again, it's all RNG and you can get completely screwed over by RNG. It's annoying and tedious, but worth it in the end. You just have to be patient with it.
  1. Boards
  2. One Piece Treasure Cruise
  3. Feel like I've hit a wall. Need help getting better.
  • Topic Archived