• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
  3. New to Borderlands and have noob questions...

User Info: LazyKorean

LazyKorean
4 years ago#1
So I never heard of Borderlands till I bought Destiny and got very addicted to it. Started to notice people mentioning how similar Destiny is to Borderlands so it caught my interest.

Destiny these days is extremely boring for me, having obtained all Exotics early on and finishing Raid along with Raid loot, there's really no incentive to play until next DLC.

I pre-ordered the Handsome Collection and waiting for the game to release now but have some noob questions I wish they'd be answered.

The HC comes with Borderlands 2(2012) and Borderlands Pre-Sequel!(2014) along with all available DLC.
So the questions I have:

1. If the Pre-Sequel is newer, do I just skip Borderlands 2?
2. If I skip Borderlands 1 and 2 will I be missing much?
3. Do both Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel have many players for online multiplayer?
4. If I beat story mode on both, which one should I play first and which one should I keep playing on?
5. Vita Borderlands 2 was released 2014, is it worth buying Vita for portable Borderlands 2 and occasional Remote Play?
6. I noticed there's DLC in HC, are they all for Pre-Sequel or Borderlands 2 included?
7. What are some very important equipment like weapons/gear that I should try my best to get? Something like Borderlands version of Gjallarhorn? ;)

With so many ports, I'm very confused where to start playing and which to keep playing. It is my first time buying a collection of games. I originally planned to just open it up, play Borderlands 2(since it came out first) then put in Pre-Sequel and start playing but decided to get some opinions because it was starting to confuse me :l
3DS FC: 2766-8380-8233
PSN: LuckyByun

User Info: thierminator

thierminator
4 years ago#2
All dlc for both is included. 1 a very good game, but you dont really have to play it.
Borderlands 2 is best of the collection.
No wife like a microwife

User Info: 4squarefighter

4squarefighter
4 years ago#3
Play whichever game grabs you. BL2 is one heck of a game, and I'm sure PS isn't shabby either. One isn't more advanced than the other from what I've seen. It's two games that run on the same engine, from the same gen etc.
HardLight Assasin-Hero USPS
CR114 213SP 4070 Precision, there is no such thing as enough Skill Points. AM has revived powersets.

User Info: eauthor

eauthor
4 years ago#4
1. If you're going plotwise you should probably play 2 before the pre-sequel. While the main part of the game is set before Borderlands 2, it's framed in a flashback from after borderlands 2, so it was made to be played after 2.

2. You'll miss out a lot from Borderlands 2, but not so much from Borderlands 1. While a great game, the plot was pretty thin and can be easily summed up in a summary of the game and other than the characters, many of whom return for borderlands 2 and TPS, a knowledge of what happens before isn't necessary.

3. I'm not sure if you'll only be able to play with people on PS4 or also with ps3/vita. But I'm going to assume it's only ps4 players, so that completely depends on how many people buy the game. Either way, you can easily play through the first two playthroughs (up to level 50) without other players. The third playthrough may be more difficult to do alone though.

4. Like I said, I suggest playing 2 before TPS. As for which to keep playing, that totally depends on which character you like to play better, because they all play very differently.

5. I don't really think it's worth it, but that's just my opinion because I wouldn't want to buy a whole system just for that.

6. All of the DLC for 2 and All of the DLC for TPS are included. You can see a list in the description for the game on Amazon of what that includes, and then on the Borderlands Wiki for more details.

7. The gear is all randomized, stat wise. So even two of the same weapons could have completely different stats. I know a lot of people have preferences for certain gear set ups, but it really depends on your play style. If you like pistols then focus on pistols and a character that has boosts for pistols (Nisha in TPS) If you like Snipers do that (Zero in 2, Aurelia in TPS)

LazyKorean
4 years ago#5
Thanks for input guys, especially eauthor, answered all my questions.

Guess I'll go look into which character to start playing first to get the proper boosts.

User Info: eauthor

eauthor
4 years ago#6
No problem at all. I suggest using the Borderlands websites (It's separate for 2 and THPS). They actually have a pretty in depth character creator where you can allocate skill points and see descriptions. The only bad thing is that they only allow you to up the level cap once for each game, so you can't allocate the last 10 or so points, but you can get a good idea of how your character will look and exactly what points will be needed to get what skills.

LazyKorean
4 years ago#7
Thanks, I'll check that out! The Zer0 Assassin sounds appealing.

User Info: DoctorKoolMan

DoctorKoolMan
4 years ago#8
LazyKorean posted...
1. If the Pre-Sequel is newer, do I just skip Borderlands 2?
2. If I skip Borderlands 1 and 2 will I be missing much?
3. Do both Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel have many players for online multiplayer?
4. If I beat story mode on both, which one should I play first and which one should I keep playing on?
5. Vita Borderlands 2 was released 2014, is it worth buying Vita for portable Borderlands 2 and occasional Remote Play?
6. I noticed there's DLC in HC, are they all for Pre-Sequel or Borderlands 2 included?
7. What are some very important equipment like weapons/gear that I should try my best to get? Something like Borderlands version of Gjallarhorn? ;)

1. dont skip 2, TPS is meant to be played after, and from watching videos TPS seems weaker overall in almost every way, while still looking fun it doesnt hold a light to bl2.

2. you wont miss much from 1, mostly cameos that youll get filled in on if you pay attention in bl2 anyways

3. they are very popular games and I expect them to be just a popular with just as large of a playerbase as they had on their ps3 launches --- after about a year it will probably die down significantly

4. the way the game is set up you wont ever really "beat" the story, while they both do have "endings" you keep leveling and replaying the story (and work to complete all side missions on the third playthru) eventually ending you at level 72 on bl2 and soon to be 70 i hear on TPS. As for which to "keep playing" id say bl2, TPS doesnt seem to have enough dlc/bosses/new gear to justify playing it hardcore over bl2

5. it is never worth buying a vita unless you are super in rpgs, and if you have one i guess the remote play would be cool, but id never drop the moeny on it personally

6. all of the dlcs for both games are included. Speaking for bl2 they are amazing additions with great side stories, I prefer all the dlcs in bl2 over the main story, and frequently reset my final playthru to replay them

7. dont worry about this yet, once you get to level cap (which will take a long time) then start worrying about gear farming. It is easier to get what you want in this compared to destiny, but much more tedious and I persoanlly think it is a terrible system (each rare item is tied to a single boss that is super easy to kill and has very low drops rates between 1-10% depending on what youre looking for)

i recommend maya as a bl2 starter, her kit focuses on team healing/support, elemental destruction (which the game focuses on a bit, and becomes a lifesaver in the third playthru when ever enemy has insane HP and regen), as well as a general dps/utility defense tree. However if youre really into sniping try zero, meleeing try krieg, and being super OP for end game raid bosses try salvador. Axton is pretty useless late game and gaige is a different kind of OP that I dont recommend for first timers
Games Playing: Destiny, Far Cry 4, GTA V, MK8, SSB4, and Smite
Exotics Missing: Monte Carlo

User Info: mokmuud

mokmuud
4 years ago#9
There will be LOOTSPLOSIONS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/gamingrelay

User Info: Nidhogg151

Nidhogg151
4 years ago#10
As others have said, under no circumstances should you skip 2. It is considered the "best" of all three.

You can skip 1 if you want, but if you have a PC, I would suggest you make use of the pre-order bonus for the HC, which gives you a download code for BL1 GOTY edition. BL1 is is a great game, but you feel its age if you play it after BL2. It's a fun experience and the story + characters do carry over into BL2/TPS. You won't be lost w/o playing it, but there are a lot of things that won't have the same impact if you don't.

Having also played Destiny, I do feel BL is the stronger series, especially by 2. Destiny was a decent game, but I put in 3 times the hours into the BL games than I did Destiny. And BL games have a "ridiculous" factor that makes them very fun from start to finish.

But yeah, the others answered your other questions how I would answer them. I would just stress that you should play 1, 2 then TPS, but if you absolutely can't be bothered to play BL1, then start with 2.
3DS FC: 4081-5732-1555
PSN: Eudyptes
  1. Boards
  2. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
  3. New to Borderlands and have noob questions...
  • Topic Archived