• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
  3. Conquest Balance Update (Gaiden)

User Info: darkassasin333

darkassasin333
1 month ago#1
Hey all. Instead of detailing the next few characters, I thought I'd elaborate on some of the non-specific changes I've made which I feel generally improve the gameplay flow of Conquest. In no particular order:

• 1-2 Range melee weapons are now able to double, of course keeping their -5 effective speed penalty. If you can surmount that, you have a weapon comparable to a pretty bad Hidden Weapon.
This is a change that I feel is warranted when Siegfried/Hidden Weapons/Magic exist. The important thing to take away is that these weapons are still worse, but they're an option in some circumstances they weren't before. This is also an indirect buff to melee units who are in the awkward middle-high speed tier (Selena, Peri, Charlotte, Samurai Odin, etc.). It allows them better chip against the bulky units who they're significantly faster than, as well as potential performance in mixed-range groups of enemies. I've found that this change doesn't significantly impact most other situations, although it has been funny to be unexpectedly doubled by some Kodachi Samurai.

• 2 Range melee weapons (eg. Spear) have +10 hit (On par with steels) and no longer suffer an effective speed penalty. They still cannot double.
These were pretty bad before, without many significant reasons to use them. Now they can be used as a sort of bow surrogate, and can potentially even one-round with good use of attack stance or a lucky skill proc. Though they could do this before, It was much more difficult to justify since -5 Speed sandbags most units' bulk to the point where it's unviable without guard stance. +10 hit never hurts either (Although the enemies have it too).

• Triangle advantage bonus increased:
  • D: hit+5>hit+10
  • C: Hit+10> Hit+10 and Mt+1
  • B: Hit+10 Mt+1>Hit+15 Mt+1
  • A: Hit+ 15 Mt+1> Hit+15 Mt+2
  • S: Hit+20 Mt+2> Hit+20 Mt+3.\
I generally enjoy a powerful weapon triangle in FE. This change has a few effects, like increasing the importance of weapon triangle control (Master of Arms not so bad?). An S rank Swordmaster with triangle advantage is truly fearsome, but an S rank Lance user will deal(and take) 10 more (and less) damage than an axe user with the same stats! This change also ameliorates some of my early-game gripes where it feels like triangle advantage isn't rewarded enough on the player side.

Hey, Silver weapons suck, right? A +3 Iron weapon is literally the only thing a unit needs. Why would you use a brave weapon when you can one-round pretty much everything anyway? Well,

• Forging is no longer possible
Yeah, the more I've played with this game's weapon system, the more I've realized that the balancing isn't bad, forging just breaks it in half. Well, now there's actually some reason to use a silver weapon! In a crucial moment, It'll do more damage than an Iron weapon for 3 rounds of combat. Brave weapons are genuinely useful in securing otherwise impossible kills, and effective weaponry is more important than ever. Keep in mind that you'll be saving on whatever cash you'd spend on forges for a more diverse weapon pool.

What's that? Reclassing units is gonna suck without forged bronze weapons? Weapons gained on promotion are more useless than ever? And how the hell are you supposed to use a brave weapon when getting an A rank is barely doable by endgame? About that...

• All characters now have inherent weapon ranks in their Heart/Master seal class sets, and
  • Combat requirements for A/S rank weapons lowered from 161/251 to 146/201.
Weapon rank drought in the base game overcentralized S rank classes, made A and especially S rank weapons near-worthless, and even failed at its attempt at balancing how strong reclassing is vis a vis forged bronze weapons.
In general, the weapon ranks on promotion or reclassing will be about C rank, with some tuning in consideration of join time or character balance. This broadens player choice in terms of a units' permanent class, and I've had a lot of fun with better versions of Ninja Laslow and Pegasus/Bow Knight Selena.

These posts are a bit bigger than I thought they'd be, haha. I'm gonna cut it here, but I'll be back next time to talk about some more of the changes I've made. Take it easy friends.
Seriously, who's officiating?
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Thorscape

Thorscape
1 month ago#2
Are weapons still able to be forged and renamed for Owain's "Aching Blood" personal skill?

Do you have a way to share these mods?

darkassasin333
1 month ago#3
Technically they can be forged and renamed, but give no stats. The existence of Aching Blood makes me feel that I should revamp forging to be less powerful instead of cutting it entirely.
Top of my head is telling me +1 Mt/level for iron/bronze, +3 for Silvers and +2 for everything else. I think I'd probably be able to customize it for every weapon type, but I'd have to learn more about coding.

I could upload the files over dropbox or something, but I'm not quite ready to share yet. There's still a few bugs I'm trying to fix and a few things I'd like to implement but don't know how.

If you're interested in making some changes to the game yourself, there's a pretty handy tool called Paragon. It's got a user friendly UI to make basic edits and stuff. Here's a decent tutorial on how to use it: https://gamebanana.com/tuts/13170

User Info: Thorscape

Thorscape
1 month ago#4
Ty for the resource. Never modded the 3DS games before.

As for changing forging I would personally place more weight on how it affects accuracy. The main reason I forge weapons is for the accuracy buff. I'd much rather take a slight damage loss over guaranteed hits. I typically finish Rev with two of each Killer type weapon at +2.

User Info: iridium137

iridium137
1 month ago#5
I've tried using Paragon to modify forge bonuses as well, but couldn't find a way to do it. Apparently there's only two hard-coded sets of bonuses available, so AFAIK you can't modify them without a lot more work.

darkassasin333
1 month ago#6
Oh, strange. I made the change but I never bothered to check in-game, haha. I'm gonna see if I can make heads or tails of the game code, I've had some bigger changes I've wanted to make for a long time. First thing that comes to mind right now is making vulneraries/concoctions/elixirs recover 1/2/all of debuffed stats. I've always wanted to make Selena's personal skill refresh her action once per turn a la galeforce, too. Wish me luck, eh?
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
  3. Conquest Balance Update (Gaiden)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A