You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
  3. Hello fire emblem board. Whats the deal with Iago *spoilers*

User Info: SantaRPidgey

SantaRPidgey
2 months ago#1
Is he loyal to OG Garon, mud monster Garon or to Anankos? Does he have a legit reason to hate Corrin thats ever explained or is he just a generic character designed to be an evil antagonist. It seems like his drive in all three games is to just make Corrin feel bad, I was wondering if there was anything going on on a deeper level or if thats just it.
werd

User Info: Arbalist

Arbalist
2 months ago#2
Iago only seemed loyal to Garon in the sense that he wants to advance himself higher up in the ranks. He doesn't mention him all that much besides his dying quotes anyway. Personally, I figured Iago was a straight-up treacherous advisor type that plays the part of secondary antagonist. Never saw much moral ambiguity in any of the routes.

User Info: MalcolmMasher

MalcolmMasher
2 months ago#3
I believe Iago is civil to Corrin in their barely-extant prologue interaction, so we might reasonably assume that he didn't have any real grudge against Corrin until Corrin learned about the whole "Nohr killed Corrin's foster father and birth mother" thing. At which point, Conquest Iago's conclusion that Corrin returned to Nohr in order to assassinate Garon is quite reasonable and not entirely wrong. Later on, at the start of Conquest Ch13, Garon explicitly orders Iago to make Corrin suffer but to keep them alive. Iago complies, gleefully.

Why is he loyal to Garon? Why does he enjoy cruelty? Why does he seem to have a personal dislike for Corrin even in the other routes? Dunno. Best I can do is "he's prospered under Garon", "he's a jerk", and "maybe he takes all his other enemies personally, too, we just see it through Corrin's eyes."

I will, however, say that "Iago" is an inspired name for the character. Shakespeare's Iago is a schemer who screws over everyone in the entire play, and once his treachery is discovered, he flat-out refuses to state any motivation. (IIRC one comes out in an earlier soliloquy, passed over for promotion or whatnot, seems vastly inadequate.) I understand that in JP Fates, this character was instead named "Macbeth" which is tremendously less appropriate. Props to whichever members of the localization team decided to change it.
I don't like this duchy. Now, it's an adventurer.

SantaRPidgey
2 months ago#4
MalcolmMasher posted...
I will, however, say that "Iago" is an inspired name for the character. Shakespeare's Iago is a schemer who screws over everyone in the entire play, and once his treachery is discovered, he flat-out refuses to state any motivation. (IIRC one comes out in an earlier soliloquy, passed over for promotion or whatnot, seems vastly inadequate.) I understand that in JP Fates, this character was instead named "Macbeth" which is tremendously less appropriate. Props to whichever members of the localization team decided to change it.

This is really cool and a really satisfying answer
werd

User Info: Davzz

Davzz
2 months ago#5
But Macbeth (the Shakespeare character) was a dude who disposed of his king because he was politically ambitious and wanted more power...

I believe the dude was given a lot more characterization in the Nibelung manga - he's sucking up to Garon in hopes of currying favour to receive more political power too.
http://ontlogy.wordpress.com/
"Can Happiness be Achieved without Sacrifice? Can a New Era be reached without Misfortune?"

User Info: MalcolmMasher

MalcolmMasher
2 months ago#6
I'll grant that all my knowledge of The Scottish Play is secondhand, but my understanding is that Macbeth is a warrior who is goaded into murder and who wrestles with some guilt after the fact. Fates Iago, however, is a trickster who needs no urging and feels no remorse, not unlike the villain of Othello.
I don't like this duchy. Now, it's an adventurer.

User Info: Sid_Starkiller

Sid_Starkiller
2 months ago#7
MalcolmMasher posted...
I'll grant that all my knowledge of The Scottish Play is secondhand, but my understanding is that Macbeth is a warrior who is goaded into murder and who wrestles with some guilt after the fact. Fates Iago, however, is a trickster who needs no urging and feels no remorse, not unlike the villain of Othello.

Not really. Macbeth's wife becomes consumed by guilt, being the one who convinced him to kill the king. Macbeth himself goes mad with power.
3DS FC: 2707-1832-0432 (Sid)
Statement: Just a simple droid here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along.

User Info: Mavitar

Mavitar
2 months ago#8
Iago's only purpose in the plot is to be a piece of s***.

User Info: mynameisrocket

mynameisrocket
2 months ago#9
Mavitar posted...
Iago's only purpose in the plot is to be a piece of s***.

But Zola was innocent

I will die on that hill
It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we've got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50 year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it.

SantaRPidgey
2 months ago#10
The plot had Zola die strictly because he wasn't a corrin-sexual

a sweet angel taken from us too soon

Zola for CYL4
werd
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
  3. Hello fire emblem board. Whats the deal with Iago *spoilers*