• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Shuffle
  3. Damage Formula

User Info: _Cole_

_Cole_
3 years ago#1
i've been testing how damage is calculated for this game. feel free to help test missing abilities or point out errors.

first match, for most abilities:
damage = (attack power * type bonus * match size bonus * ability bonus 1)

first match, for some abilities like crowd control:
damage = (attack power * type bonus * match size bonus) + ability bounus 2

subsequent matches in a combo:
damage = (atack power * type bonus * match size bonus * combo bonus * ability bonus 3)

damage is rounded down to the nearest integer (floor).

attack power:
your pokemon's attack stat, as shown when you are selecting your pokemon

type bonus multiplier:
not very effective: 0.5
neutral: 1
super effective: 2

match size bonus multiplier:
3-match: 1
4-match: 1.5
5-match: 2
6-match: ? (in theory you should be able to set up a 6-match in a combo but i haven't tested it yet)

combo bonus multiplier:
your combo bonus increases after certain sized combos are reached
2-combo: 1.1
5-combo: 1.15
10-combo: 1.2
25-combo: 1.3
50-combo: 1.4
75-combo: 1.5? (needs to be confirmed)
100-combo: 2

i.e. all matches from 10 to 24 will have a 1.2x boost, then will increase to 1.3x on your 25th match in the combo

ability bonus 1: these abilities MULTIPLY your damage output when activated
power of 4: 1.5
power of 5: 1.5
pixie power, sinister power: 1.5
pummel, pyre, dancing dragons: 1.2
quake: 1.2
brute force: 2
last-ditch effort, swarm, steely resolve: 1.5
opportunist, dragon talon, heavy hitter: 1.5
burn, freeze, spookify: 1 (these abilities don't increase damage for the first match)
hitting/damage streak, first activation: 1.2
hitting/damage streak, second activation: 1.44 (1.2^2)
hitting/damage streak, third activation: 1.728 (1.2^3)
hitting/damage streak, fourth or higher activation: 2
(see http://www.serebii.net/shuffle/abilities.shtml for ability descriptions if needed)

ability bonus 2: these abilities ADD extra damage when activated
crowd control: 50 * number of this pokemon on the board (excluding the match)
counterattack: 20 * number of disruptions on the board

ability bonus 3: these are the abilities that affect subsequent matches in a combo
correct type after activating pixie power/sinister power: 1.5
correct type after activating pummel/pyre/dancing dragons: 1.2
fire/ice/ghost vs. burned/frozen/spooked opponent: 1.5

i.e. if you activated pixie power on your first match, all fairy type matches in the combo will get a 1.5x boost

stuff that needs testing:
all mega abilities and how mega pokemon increase damage.
risk taker: affects damage based on a random range. i'm not sure what that range is or if the ability adds/multiplies damage.
vitality drain: does damage based on opponent's HP remaining, not sure what the formula is.

example calculations:
80 power zapdos against blastoise, match of 4, power of 4 activated:
dmg = 80 * 2 (type bonus) * 1.5 (match bonus) * 1.5 (ability bonus) = 360 damage

70 power heracross against ampharos, match of 5, crowd control activated with 3 other heracross on board
dmg = 70 * 1 (neutral damage) * 2 (match bonus) + 50 * 3 (crowd control, 3 heracross) = 290 damage

76 power slurpuff against dragonite, match of 3, 107th match in the combo with pixie power active
dmg = 76 * 2 (type) * 1 (match) * 2 (combo bonus for over 100) * 1.5 (pixie power) = 456 damage
3DS FC: 1332-8033-9903

User Info: silktail

silktail
3 years ago#2
What about Sleep Charm, is that something else that needs testing?
Because the game says your foe will take a bit more damage when they are asleep.

(I assume it will be like burned/frozen/spooked, except with a smaller multiplier because all damage types work.)

Do you know if there is a bonus for erasing Pokémon with an ability?
I.e. Eject or Quirky.

You seemed to have missed the Attack Power ^ item.

The description says it doubles the Attack Power, so it's probably only the ability bonus 2 that needs confirming.
(I.e. I assume that won't receive the double damage.)

From what little I have tested, I noticed the Score seemed to reflect the damage done so far.
As such I've been using it to make a rough guess about the opponents HP, when ever I repeat a stage.

However I haven't tested it with all the abilities. So it would be nice if someone could confirm that is always a 1:1 relationship.
---

User Info: misty_lax

misty_lax
3 years ago#3
Eject seems to happened ALWAYS when the pokemon was the first match (should be the pokemon you move)
Sleep Charm and the like seems to activate depends on the number of pokemon on match but do not always activate even with 5 pokemon match. They will not activate in combos. :/
Friend Safari :Electrode, Pikachu, Zebstrika FC: 4141-3928-9958; IGN: Tsunayoshi
Bank Ball/Shinies/Events List Trades: http://tinyurl.com/misty-lax

User Info: _Cole_

_Cole_
3 years ago#4
silktail posted...
What about Sleep Charm, is that something else that needs testing?
Because the game says your foe will take a bit more damage when they are asleep.

(I assume it will be like burned/frozen/spooked, except with a smaller multiplier because all damage types work.)

I just tested it and you're right: All attacks do 1.2x damage against a sleeping opponent.

Do you know if there is a bonus for erasing Pokémon with an ability?
I.e. Eject or Quirky.

There's no damage bonus for those abilities.

You seemed to have missed the Attack Power ^ item.

Yup, that also needs to be tested.
3DS FC: 1332-8033-9903

User Info: GreatLimmick

GreatLimmick
3 years ago#5
Because of the way columns drop, with pokemon landing at each place they would have stopped if only the next match in the queue had occurred, I think it's impossible to trigger a 6-match. I'm pretty sure I've seen two three-matches of the same pokemon in a line.

User Info: CelesEsperIce3

CelesEsperIce3
3 years ago#6
Crowd control has got to be the best ability in the game. I average 500 a hit, with 400 being the typical lowest, and 720 something being my highest, and that's against regular enemies, not super effective. I S ranked Ampharos on accident because I had volbeat and heracross leveling up at the same time.

edit: I've also found that it activates about 90-95% of the time for 4 matches and 25% of the time for 3. I don't think I've ever had it not activate with a 5 match, but thats a really small test group compared to the others.
---
Insert snarky quote here

User Info: Bosuonparedo

Bosuonparedo
3 years ago#7
GreatLimmick posted...
Because of the way columns drop, with pokemon landing at each place they would have stopped if only the next match in the queue had occurred, I think it's impossible to trigger a 6-match. I'm pretty sure I've seen two three-matches of the same pokemon in a line.

It is possible. You can set up an EX stage so it triggers, but I had it happen by accident yesterday also. It's also possible for it to happen from 2+ intruder Pokemon entering in just the right places, and I've seen that happen too.

User Info: MattyXB

MattyXB
3 years ago#8
_Cole_ posted...
6-match: ? (in theory you should be able to set up a 6-match in a combo but i haven't tested it yet)

I tried it, its not possible for yourself to make a 6-match in normal Stages.

OXOOXO
OAOOBO
OAOOBO
XBXXAX

Got this match up while trying, and changed B-A at the Bottom. But only 4 X dissappered. They must fall at the exact same time, and in normal Stages it is not possible. maybe in EX Stages, yes. But not in normal as I tried.
Or maybe only when the Enemie change the right Stones by accident, then it can possible in normal too.
Where can I change my sign - n00p
Check the FAQs - all

User Info: norshanare

norshanare
3 years ago#9
Only thing I noticed that you haven't covered was the level of the mons. I have high levels of a 6 n 7.

User Info: Relvamon

Relvamon
3 years ago#10
6 set combos are indeed possible and it has happened for me in normal stages, when a few falling pieces fell and landed horizontally to hit it off. Also as mentioned, intruded disruptions will also make a 6 set combo happen, more commonly, 6 set of coins that will grant you 700 coins.

If based on how coins added up, from 300, to 500, to 700, it could be a linear formula so maybe a 6 set combo could mean a multipler of 2.5x
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Shuffle
  3. Damage Formula
  • Topic Archived