• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Retro Revival
  3. What do we have on tap!?
Hey guys!

as we move through FFVII I am thinking of our next projects.

i want to host a MMX series. Maybe picking 2 of those. Snes and a later one? Any other suggestions? It’s been forever since I played 1-3 and have never played 4,5,6 or 8
Join us as we do group playthroughs for classic games! http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1145-retro-revival
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
1 week ago#2
I'm always up for more MMX!

As for the later ones, X4 is the popular one, X5 is my personal favorite of the PS games but it's generally considered bad. X6 has an X7-like reputation but it's not nearly as bad. It has plenty of bad parts though. A lot of people like X8 because it's not X7 but it's terrible and I hate it.

X1 and X2 are solid. X3 is a disaster IMO. The game was done by a different team and the budget/production time was limited and it really shows. The balance is also terrible where in the beginning you'll struggle to get through a single stage (dying in 3 hits to regular enemies, no joke) but by the end you'll be so OP it doesn't matter how poorly you play. Well, if you collect all the stuff.

X1 - The most solid of the series, and everyone loves it. Great weapons, stages, collectables, etc.
X2 - A good successor to X1, not as good, but still quite enjoyable. Not so great weapons.
X3 - An ugly mess. Weapons are actually OK once you learn them, but the stage designs are atrocious. And oh god that music is grating. But it does have great collectables.
X4 - Probably the second most solid, though stage design is a little lackluster IMO. There are two stories to the game, so you can play as X or Zero and the experience is pretty different.
X5 - Lower budget than X4, and collecting everything is a lot of tedium, but overall good stages and stuff. Weapon set is a little underwhelming. Can swap between X and Zero throughout the game so it's just one story, though there are... I think 3 different endings you can get.
X6 - A buggy, weirdly-designed mess of a game, but somehow still a blast to play. Notorious for unforgiving difficulty (a lot of stuff is just plain unfair). Interesting 'nightmare' system, and the introduction of reploid rescues. Multiple story paths and endings.
X7 - We already played this one, but it's the 'so bad it's good' one for me. Like a campy b-movie.
X8 - Miserable poop and I hate it. Super awkward physics. 90% of the game is minigames or gimmicks that are horribly frustrating to deal with. Upgrades are now bought with money you have to farm for. The story and presentation are great, though. If you do this one I refuse to join. Mostly because my PC can't handle it on the Legacy Collection and my brother is like, permanently borrowing my PS2.

There's also the two GBC games. The first one was super boring, the second one was pretty decent. And then there's Command Mission, but that's an entire RPG. It's holds up pretty well, but it's not the greatest or anything. Just an average JRPG with cool robots.

TBH I wouldn't mind slowly going through the whole series. Whether it's through the newer Legacy Collections or 'other means,' it's not hard to get ahold of the whole series these days.

I'm know I haven't been very active here, but I'm still willing to host Unlimited Saga whenever if anyone wants to give that a try. Though I'm a little swamped with my own game dev project and recording two Let's Plays for YouTube right now, so going through and hosting a whole RPG at the moment might be a bit much to take on. But I'd still do it if people wanted to cuz I love the game :)
http://thaao.net/unsaga/
My Unlimited Saga fan site and guide

User Info: kefkamademedoit

kefkamademedoit
1 week ago#3
Maybe X1 and X5?

I’ll do X8 on my own 😂

Join us as we do group playthroughs for classic games! http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1145-retro-revival

NessEggman
1 week ago#4
X8 has some other merits but I'm too bitter to admit them hahaha.

User Info: skater43

skater43
1 week ago#5
I own X1-6 thanks to the GameCube collection, and never beaten any of them. Gotten to the Sigma stages on some, especially the three SNES ones, but never sealed the deal. So it would be nice to actually see one or two of them all the way through.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: kefkamademedoit

kefkamademedoit
1 week ago#6
skater43 posted...
I own X1-6 thanks to the GameCube collection, and never beaten any of them. Gotten to the Sigma stages on some, especially the three SNES ones, but never sealed the deal. So it would be nice to actually see one or two of them all the way through.

Nice! Lets stick with some from 1-6. I think 1 and 5 would be a good place to start.

NessEggman
1 week ago#7
*makes you guys play all the bad MM games that I like*

User Info: Ajogamer

Ajogamer
1 week ago#8
I know we had planned on Golden Sun: The Lost Age and Golden Axe Warrior. Not sure if we still have those set for February or so, but I'd still definitely be interested in both those.

I see a lot of talk for the Mega Man X games here, so I'll say I'm definitely fairly interested in those. I really enjoyed the other Mega Man games we played (even kinda enjoyed experiencing X7, in its own way), and I've got little familiarity with the X series as a whole (played a bit of one or two of the PS1 ones, but never beat more than a boss or two... only one I beat is X7), so I'd be up for any of those. Definitely think going through them more slowly is good if we plan to do them all though, to avoid burnout and allow for other things too.

I'd still be up for trying a chapter of Unlimited SaGa at some point too, though definitely no rush on that.

I was also considering trying to host something a bit later on too, maybe around March/April, or so. Main ones I had in mind were Live a Live (since it's one I'd love others to experience, and I know others seemed interested previously), or Final Fantasy VI (since it's my favorite FF game, and I know there was some talk about it recently). There are also some quicker ones I could host (by which I mostly just mean "make a topic", since they're so short) at any point, like Dynamite Headdy and Alien Soldier (both really flashy sidescrollers/platformers by Treasure that I love). I'd love to hear what others think on those possibilities.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: funkadelius

funkadelius
1 week ago#9
GT mentioned Mystic Ark and Lagrange Point, though I'm not sure what she has planned yet.

As for Live A Live, it's one of the best RPGs for the SNES imo, though people don't seem to share my enthusiasm for it. I'm still interested in Unlimited Saga as well.

Anything Mega Man is always welcome, even if it's awful and just worth playing to laugh at.

Personally, I can't really commit to much right now, because of my schedule, which is why I've been absent so long. February is looking pretty clear though.
I am Error. Check out my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCApMBqrP3fY1s6AiqQ3yTug?

User Info: Ajogamer

Ajogamer
1 week ago#10
Mystic Arc and Langrange Point are ones I could be interested in too. I've never played either, but they were ones I planned to play at some point.

Probably obvious given my enthusiasm and past comments, but I definitely agree with you on Live a Live being one of the best RPGs on SNES. It's personally in my top 3 SNES RPGs (other two being FFVI and Earthbound), and I consider it among my top 10 favorite games, too. I can see why some may take to it a bit less, though; I love its willingness to experiement and how fresh and unique it is compared to other RPGs, but that can also make it a bit odd and uneven in some ways, too (though for me, it definitely has far more hits than misses with its experimentions).
  1. Boards
  2. Retro Revival
  3. What do we have on tap!?
  • Post New Message