You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Retro Revival
  3. How About Giving SMS Some Love Also

User Info: Golden_Torizo

Golden_Torizo
1 week ago#1
Hello RR Gamers, how the heck is it going? Me... dealing with a lot but holding up.

So gamers isn't it about time we played a SMS GP? Well have I got a couple of nominees for you. It's summer time so let's have so fun with this one. Wonder Boy In Monster World(the one with the saw at the end, right) Wonder Boy is a fun game of platform, overworld and cave/dungeon battles. It's a grinder for weapons. and that bosses shouldn't kill ya. It's a fun adventure game.

Also for your consideration... Golden Axe Warrior. This game is so much fun, and the one I think will make a good GP. Some rate it tough, but like Zelda's AoL, you have to get used to the way the game works. It is in the style of LoZ but it's bigger. More intricate. The enemies are very annoying. I saw in the FAQs that only about one-quarter of the owners of the game finished it. Well now is your time to get-r-done.

I'm only offering those two because, less to argue over. So what do you guys and dolls think. Some SMS in July?

I have approached funk about this platform and he really seemed enthused about it. SMS as a group; have we done one yet? In an attempt to put ducks in a row, I have also approached someone about hosting. However, I don't think they'd mind if someone who knew the game like the back of their hand, and could work with them.

Think about gamers... hago :)
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

User Info: looked

looked
1 week ago#2
I’m kind of Lukewarm on both of those games. But I would be down to play or host Phantasy Star anytime.

Golden_Torizo
1 week ago#3
looked posted...
I’m kind of Lukewarm on both of those games. But I would be down to play or host Phantasy Star anytime.

Hello @looked, how's it going? Maybe a GP can form for PS after we do one of those mentioned in the topic. Lukewarm is good. Lots of players who now like ZAoL were cold towards it. I'm hoping that we can get a group to play GAW. It has 10 dungeons and should take about 5 or 6 weeks if we do two dungeons per week. Maybe a bit longer.

Hago...
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

User Info: skater43

skater43
1 week ago#4
Know I've played a couple of the WB games but would have to look and see which ones/which systems (that series definitely takes the prize for the most convoluted numbering system). Don't think I did the SMS Monster World one, so don't know how well it would divide up for a GP. Some in the series would work better than others. But if this is a good one, I'm down with giving it a whirl.

GAW is an unabashed LoZ ripoff, but if you're going to rip off a game, might as well be one of the best. I don't remember how the dungeons were numbered/labeled, but I seem to recall a fairly clear progression/intended order. So that would be a great one to go through again.

Don't think we have anything even tenitively lined up for after Golden Sun, so one or both of those games would work. Prolly only be three, four weeks each, so fairly short compared to some of our more recent games.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: Ajogamer

Ajogamer
1 week ago#5
I might be up for one or both of those.

I'd definitely be interested in Wonder Boy In Monster World. I played a bit of one (can't remember if it was the first on SMS, or another), and it seemed fun. Was a series I was interested in checking the various games of at some point, too.

Golden Axe Warrior, I'm less sure on (especially when you make it sound like it gets frustrating later on), but it was one I was curious about, what with it being a Zelda-like, so I'd likely find it fun to try out, anyway.

I agree that sometime after Golden Sun would likely be a good time for one or both of those, since that's where we both have less planned, and I'll probably have more free time then than I currently have now.

User Info: skater43

skater43
1 week ago#6
G_T, myself and @ghettoraider81 played through GAW a few years ago (you can read about our exploits at https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/588075-golden-axe-warrior/70696210 ) and I don't remember it being all that frustrating. I mean, no more than LoZ, which as I said, it's very much a clone of. You like Zelda 1 and 3, think you'll like GAW.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: Ajogamer

Ajogamer
1 week ago#7
Ah, that's good. Then yeah, I doubt I'd have any problem with its difficulty, and would likely enjoy it.
(edited 1 week ago)

Golden_Torizo
1 week ago#8
Ajogamer posted...
Ah, that's good. Then yeah, I doubt I'd have any problem with its difficulty, and would likely enjoy it.

Hi @Ajogamer, how's it going?

Listen, you'll love this game. People loved LoZ because of its overworld qualities I think more than anything. Who doesn't like looking for stuff in grass. Well GAW has that in spades. The waterway is better than Zelda, the enemies are slicker. Bosses can pose a bit of a problem if you don't know how to beat them. AIR you have to find most weapons and gear. There is backtracking to recover items you may find early but must complete something to obtain. Heck it's just a fun game.

I'm going to start a game of DW IV and see what fun I can get out of that until hopefully an SMS GP is on board.

Hago :)

User Info: funkadelius

funkadelius
1 week ago#9
I went through the SMS library a while ago, just kind of trying out games and Golden Ax Warrior was one of the standouts.

Phantasy Star interests me.

As for Wonder Boy isn't that game somehow connected to Dragon's Curse on the TG16? If so, it should be ok.

I can also vouch for Master of Darkness, which is a Castlevania wannabe, and a softcore rogue-like called Dragon Crystal

Finally, Ninja Gaiden saw an SMS port. It looks nice, but has a few features that make it even more frustrating than the NES series. Oh and there's Shinobi.

Sorry for throwing so many games out there, but yeah I'm down for whatever.
I am Error. Check out my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCApMBqrP3fY1s6AiqQ3yTug?
I’m just here because i got a mention. If I have the game you guys decide to do I’d be up for a playthrough! It’s been too long:
Win, lose, or tie Oakland Raiders til I die! WHY'S THE RUM GONE!
S.M.O.K.E my anti sXe
  1. Boards
  2. Retro Revival
  3. How About Giving SMS Some Love Also