You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Record Keeper
  3. Was it speed meta when we had to sub-60 in order to not die from RW Wall expiry?

User Info: ffrkowaway

ffrkowaway
1 week ago#1
(Since each RW would only last 25s apiece)

In case it's not clear, I'm talking about the pre-magicite era where if you didn't have native Wall, you pretty much had to win in 60s, because you'd die quickly if you went that long and ran out of Wall. And this was a real concern for a lot of people.

Yes, there were often no-Wall strats at at that time, of various attainabilities, but let's not worry about that for the purposes of the question.

As a side discussion point for comparison, was it speed meta for the occasional pre-magicite boss like Schizo where we could only lose 2 medals for mastery, generally meaning you had to win quickly enough to avoid losing any action medals? (This was also a real concern for a lot of people, since losing 2 damage medals was pretty much automatic, though I think some managed to get by losing just one each damage and action medal.)
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Kizzomeau

Kizzomeau
1 week ago#2
Going to go with C here. Back before magicite Wall was definitely good, but wasn't mandatory. Breaks were actually effective, status effects were actually effective, tanks had a purpose, and ability diversity was less extreme. There were tools to use to get the job done and there were easier non-relic ways around harder content.

Now with breaks having little to no effect, statuses have 0 effect, tanks having no discernible role, and support only being there to entrust or boostga, it's really just a game of DPS and healers. Given that more and more bosses are omni-resistant and use piercing attacks, defense has become less of a priority. The boss WILL kill you by X time without Y relics. That's speed meta.

User Info: sarothias

sarothias
1 week ago#3
Personally I am going to go with Nope, option C. Reason being as you mentioned, no-Wall strats. I have to think about that regarding the question simply due to mechanics that were involved.

If wall ran out you could always just run Pro/Shellga and a reverse wall SB or hell, even just debuff SBs or abilities and could manage. In most of today's stuff we have a hard timer (Incubus Dead End for example) or breaks (thus reverse wall) simply don't work but for a piddling amount of reduction so their is no direct counter to not having a Wall up (not counting Last Stand as that is something else completely).

Regarding Schizo, eh I guess technically simply due to the near forced loss of 2 medals. I mean it was bad enough that they had to code things in a way to tone it down for medal requirements for players so sure. I'll go with this one I suppose.

edit: @ffrkowaway Since you made the poll, what is your thoughts?
FFRK - Ramza's CSB Code: 9DXU
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: mdly68

mdly68
1 week ago#4
I remember when Vaan bsb was the meta.
FFBE: 523 356 395 (Alathair)

User Info: ardeus

ardeus
1 week ago#5
If you had your own copy of wall than you technically had way more than 60 seconds. You basically had until you ran out of hones on your healing abilities.

User Info: KnightLordST

KnightLordST
1 week ago#6
C

User Info: MGO_Tidus

MGO_Tidus
1 week ago#7
The good old days when Vaan BSB, Ramza Shout, Cloud USB, Zack Chain, and Y'sh BSB basically carried me through 99% of content.
FF Record Keeper RW: XAai - Tyro - God Wall
FF14: Leviathan - Xeno Cross

User Info: ffrkowaway

ffrkowaway
1 week ago#8
@sarothias I'm kind of all over the place, and mostly curious about what people mean when they say they don't like speed meta (however appropriate or inappropriate the term is).

Having gone through a no-Wall existence until that fest banner (Banner 5 of 1st anniversary I think) where Golbez's Unique dark+ heavy armor was considered a decent prize, I felt more speed pressure in that era.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: mdly68

mdly68
1 week ago#9
Speed meta started when 3* magicite came out. The game didn't have any sort of timer until then, and minimal "enrage" mechanics. Before then, it was getting to a point where a bsb healer could keep you alive indefinitely and hones were devalued. It didn't matter how long it took as long as you cleared it.

I'll call the pre-magicite period "The A-Team Era", most players had a singular group that got used for everything.
FFBE: 523 356 395 (Alathair)

User Info: Neo Zekele

Neo Zekele
1 week ago#10
@ffrkowaway posted...
In case it's not clear, I'm talking about the pre-magicite era where if you didn't have native Wall, you pretty much had to win in 60s, because you'd die quickly if you went that long and ran out of Wall. And this was a real concern for a lot of people.

Yes, there were often no-Wall strats at at that time, of various attainabilities, but let's not worry about that for the purposes of the question.

As a side discussion point for comparison, was it speed meta for the occasional pre-magicite boss like Schizo where we could only lose 2 medals for mastery, generally meaning you had to win quickly enough to avoid losing any action medals? (This was also a real concern for a lot of people, since losing 2 damage medals was pretty much automatic, though I think some managed to get by losing just one each damage and action medal.)

Omg, you just triggered my f***ing PTSD making me remember f***ing SCHIZO

Probably one of the hardest fights to master in the history of the game
FC: 1907 - 9209 - 1140
Pokemon USUM: Newbie
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Record Keeper
  3. Was it speed meta when we had to sub-60 in order to not die from RW Wall expiry?