Early Adopters...A Trip Down Memory Lane

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Record Keeper
  3. Early Adopters...A Trip Down Memory Lane

User Info: Majere07

Majere07
5 months ago#81
No health bars was brutal back in the day. I remember fighting Baigan and wondering if I was going to outdo his cure counter or lose steam.

0/11 was just insulting.
Slinging Rx's and Playing VG's
Currently playing: Tales of Berseria and anticipating Ni no Kuni II, Record Keepers (iOS)

User Info: ShinUltima

ShinUltima
5 months ago#82
BeckyBoo posted...
@ShinUltima I only asked for the option to turn them off and gave reasons why I'd enjoy it, NOT for them to be removed. Fail to see how that is such an issue for you, just because you're incapable it doesn't mean everyone is...

And yet you call them "lazy design" and essentially insulted anyone who thinks otherwise ("spoon feeding" - what colossal horses***). It's the same story every time: You put forth rubbish like that yet don't want to get pushed back on.

You'll also note that I agreed with having the option to turn them off, along with a bunch of other things.
ShinUltima - The Right Arm of Scrub Voltron
PSN: ShinUltima

User Info: BeckyBoo

BeckyBoo
5 months ago#83
ShinUltima posted...
BeckyBoo posted...
@ShinUltima I only asked for the option to turn them off and gave reasons why I'd enjoy it, NOT for them to be removed. Fail to see how that is such an issue for you, just because you're incapable it doesn't mean everyone is...

And yet you call them "lazy design" and essentially insulted anyone who thinks otherwise ("spoon feeding" - what colossal horses***). It's the same story every time: You put forth rubbish like that yet don't want to get pushed back on.

You'll also note that I agreed with having the option to turn them off, along with a bunch of other things.

Lazy design was when the discussion became about RPGs in general...I do think it's spoon feeding, modern gaming is obsessed with crutches.

User Info: ps271fearless

ps271fearless
5 months ago#84
Wow this post got way more traffic than I expected. Thanks for the memories, but I’m so glad all that stuff is gone.

My only regret is not including Upgrade Materials in Inventory as a choice. Might have made for a closer vote!

User Info: orius

orius
5 months ago#85
Goldice posted...
Though there is one more thing i think we're forgetting about from the 0/11 era.

While it was still useful for the time, actually getting a rainbow sphere only for it to be a 5* relic without a soul break was pretty s***ty.

Yeah I mentioned that recently but not in this thread. Even better when it's a rainbow without a SB, and it's off-banner to boot.
http://www.backloggery.com/orius

User Info: annonymous2k6

annonymous2k6
5 months ago#86
0/11 was terrible. Dark days :(
im a random poster.
"Zam"

User Info: ffrkowaway

ffrkowaway
5 months ago#87
Moogle_trainer posted...
I also hated the dark days (before G5) but I'm surprised more people didn't vote no SB mastery. It hurts me to imagine terra having to choose between USB or OSB, Tidus only being able to use USB or CSB, using OSB/AOSB's as a finisher would be near non existent.

This.

And presumably there'd also be no LMR mastery if there were no SB mastery. As great as G5 is, man I don't know if I'd take it over being able to use en-element (A)OSBs for a bunch of characters. Or if CSB holders would be largely restricted to just using their chains.

User Info: ShinUltima

ShinUltima
5 months ago#88
BeckyBoo posted...
ShinUltima posted...
BeckyBoo posted...

Lazy design was when the discussion became about RPGs in general...I do think it's spoon feeding, modern gaming is obsessed with crutches.

I don't see how calling health bars "lazy design" in RPGs in general differs from calling them lazy design in FFRK when they serve exactly the same function.

And there's a difference between the likes of "spoon feeding" and "crutches", and "good/simple visual feedback". Cause one can take your stance to the ludicrous extreme and call ALL HP bars "spoon feeding". Hey, who needs to know how much health your characters have at any time? You want to know how close you are to dying? Nah, that's just a crutch . Git gud. Real players go by their gut. They don't need simple feedback for anything!

I'd also like to add that just because games long ago did/didn't do something, does not mean that they were somehow better because they did/didn't do those things. What you might call "spoon feeding", I might call "respecting my time" (e.g. auto saves).

@ffrkowaway

But without G5, how likely were you to get multiple SBs per character? :p

Not to mention, pre-G5 most characters had not only had a lot fewer SBs, but had no reason to use multiples ones (e.g. if you got Cloud SSB, you just used that; there was no need to use Braver or Cross Slash).
ShinUltima - The Right Arm of Scrub Voltron
PSN: ShinUltima

User Info: ffrkowaway

ffrkowaway
5 months ago#89
@ShinUltima Yeah, I think at the time of improvement, mastering SBs was great, but not monumental like the G5 change was at its time.

But given how many strategies rely on multiple SBs + LMRs these days, it might be the harder of the two to take away right now. Especially since it's mostly disco or bust now anyway.

User Info: orius

orius
5 months ago#90
ShinUltima posted...
BeckyBoo posted...
ShinUltima posted...
BeckyBoo posted...

I don't see how calling health bars "lazy design" in RPGs in general differs from calling them lazy design in FFRK when they serve exactly the same function.

And there's a difference between the likes of "spoon feeding" and "crutches", and "good/simple visual feedback". Cause one can take your stance to the ludicrous extreme and call ALL HP bars "spoon feeding". Hey, who needs to know how much health your characters have at any time? You want to know how close you are to dying? Nah, that's just a crutch . Git gud. Real players go by their gut. They don't need simple feedback for anything!

I'd also like to add that just because games long ago did/didn't do something, does not mean that they were somehow better because they did/didn't do those things. What you might call "spoon feeding", I might call "respecting my time" (e.g. auto saves).

I call it user friendliness. Older games were rougher because of various technical limitations, I can accept that. But I prefer stuff that makes a game run smoother.
http://www.backloggery.com/orius
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Record Keeper
  3. Early Adopters...A Trip Down Memory Lane

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived