• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Team GameFAQs
  3. The "New" Guy

User Info: SBAllen

SBAllen
12 years ago#1
Hello everyone, my name is Allen. Some of you already know me, some of you don't. Regardless, I'm sure the biggest question that many users of the site will have is "Who is this guy, and what does his being here mean to us?" The second question is easy to answer. Essentially, it means nothing. I've been working on GameFAQs for years now, slowly handling more of more of the daily operations to keep things running as smoothly as possible. My being here now will mean that things will remain mostly the same. There won't be any radical change because aside from covering a bit more than I was before, nothing is really changing. The first question is a bit more difficult to answer, but in doing so I hope to comfort everyone who is worried about the site changing hands.

I've gone by the name of Sailor Bacon almost as long as I've been using the internet. I had a few other monikers as well, but they all died when Sailor Bacon was born. I was a young anime fan that was just beginning to truly appreciate the internet for what it was, a huge collection of information from around the world for anyone to take advantage of. It was a tool that was powerful, and I wanted to get in on the action. When I started using chatrooms I wanted my own unique name that people would remember. As I mostly used it to explore my biggest hobbies at the time, gaming and anime, I decided to parody what was one of the biggest anime in America at the time, Sailor Moon. I thought to myself "What's the least likely thing to be associated with these characters?" and for some reason, bacon immediately popped into my head. The identity was borne and took off from there as I found myself becoming a part of the internet phenomenon.

I wanted to contribute to the internet, to be a lasting part of something I had learned so much by using. My first opportunity came in 1997, when I started a small site to host anime music lyrics. Without spending a large amount of time discussing this topic, I went on to learn a lot about how the internet truly works as my small little site that I worked on during my spare time in high school and later college blew up into a giant site (which is now hosted at animelyrics.tv and runs without me). This experience really made me understand all of the work it took to keep a large site running, and though I wouldn't know it at the time, would be an important part of securing a career after college.

That covered one of my hobbies, but what about gaming? Well, that's where GameFAQs came into my life. It was a site that I could identify with. I saw one person stepping up to create an amazingly vast well of information for games that anyone could quickly browse to help them find help on a game that they were stuck on. I still to this day use FAQs on the site (I have two tabs open to FAQs in my web browser right now that I occasionally glance at when I sneak in some gameplay time while not working). The site was not unlike what I had created on my own though on a much larger scale of course, a place where a community of people could submit their own work to help others. I went from being a FAQ user to being a FAQ writer. It was fun, and I even got my best friend at the time to write a few FAQs as well. It was really an important site to me during my high school years.

Things changed more in 1999, when the message board system was introduced. As I was a huge supporter of the site at the time, I jumped at the opportunity to join in the closed beta for the boards. When the boards went live, I registered one of the very first accounts and was a very active poster. A big community flocked to the boards and I was a part of it. A few years in and I went from a talkative poster to a moderator. This was a busy time of my life being my college years, but even though my posting went down, I still moderated as often as I could, wanting to continue to support the site in any way that I could.

As a moderator and somewhat of a rebellious figure on the boards, I had frequent talks with Jeff for various reasons. I always liked him as much as a person as I did the man who created the site. We came to find out we had more and more in common, from a love of anime and gaming to knowing the troubles of trying to please everyone while running a large site. I still have to admit it came as somewhat of a shock during my senior year of college when Jeff asked me if I wanted to work for CNET Networks as his assistant for GameFAQs. As a soon to be graduating senior in need of a computer-related entry level job, it was like my dream job was dropped into my lap. I found myself packing my things up and moving cross-country shortly after graduating to relocate to San Francisco to work for this huge internet company.

I was worried if I had made the right decision until I stepped into the building and realized what an incredible place I had entered. I couldn't have asked to work for a better company, and I still am beyond grateful for everything that they have done for me as I recovered from some rather large mistakes I made outside of the workplace. They supported me as I found myself moving again and again, trying to find where I was supposed to be. I've grown with this company. I'm no longer Sailor Bacon the youth, whose fascination with the internet made him do anything he could to make a name for himself. Now I'm simply Allen Tyner, the man who will keep this site up and running. I've changed my username to reflect this change in myself, keeping the initials as a reminder of the past while using my own name as a symbol of the present and future.

I'm sad to see my mentor of all these years moving on, but I understand why he is leaving and I know that I have rather large shoes to fill in the eyes of the users. Words cannot really say how honored I am to have been picked for this role by such a great person. I love everything about my job, and I know that this site will continue to be the absolute best site on the internet for finding information about games. I know that I will continue to support this site both as the person keeping it maintained and as a user. I hope that the users will continue to make this site the amazing resource that it is and will accept me as they have accepted Jeff all of these years. I, like Jeff before me, am merely the person who puts up the work submitted by everyone out there who takes the time to write these incredible walkthroughs and reviews. The site isn't about me. It's about you, all of you, as it has been and as it always will be.

-Allen
Um, not to criticize science or anything, but wouldn't it be easier just to call it "the pink one"?
  1. Boards
  2. Team GameFAQs
  3. The "New" Guy
  • Topic Archived