• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest III
  3. Ortega's helmet
Angelalex242 2 years ago#1
Does it have status resistance in this version? Or should I just ditch it for grand helmets like the soldiers? I can do without 15 defense points for status resistance
There is a fine line between genius and insanity.
Which side am I on? You decide. (Name is split Angel Alex 242)
oldguy2 2 years ago#2
I believe it does protect against status ailments.
But, in game info does not show special effects, only that it has 30 defense.
I put it on through end game for the status protection and I recall that it worked, but that was a few years ago.
He's got the whole world in His hands: earth, wind, fire, water, and time.
(edited 2 years ago)
oldguy2 2 years ago#3
I was hoping someone could confirm the protection affoded by Ortega’s Helmet.
One place says it had some status protection, but only in the GBC and not in mobile versions of the game.
He's got the whole world in His hands: earth, wind, fire, water, and time.
(edited 2 years ago)
behindtheword 2 years ago#4
It doesn't have any status protection.

The unfortunate reality of the mobile versions, is that they are direct rips of the original mobile ports, which had content cut due to limitations at the time. Such as the pachisi tracks and enemy animations. For whatever inexplicable reason, this was maintained for the iOS/Droid releases. The only upgrade being the music and slight reformatting for, at the time of release, the most common smart phone screen ratio in Japan.

The original version was a carbon copy in terms of gameplay, from the SNES version. The only thing it added was speedier leveling, which this version maintains (you'll notice MUCH higher EXP, around 50% more, and sometimes higher). To compensate for this, Rimuldar's LMS population is nerfed heavily, forcing players to hunt them in the Rubiss Tower and Zoma's Castle.

So to repeat and answer your question? No, nothing specific to the GBC version and elemental resistances or status effects. This includes the Magic Bikini, as well as Ortega's Helm. It makes for a great ornament though!

====

Same thing with the 3DS and PS4 versions, and now the Switch version. They're just doing direct ports now, which is god awful (and the sales demonstrate just how disliked those changes are in Japan...lowest for any release in the DQ universe, including spinoffs). They're made even worse with mobile art for NPCs, which looks like trash, and is even more chibified than ever. I hate the cheesy plastic mobile models. I don't get why Japanese companies use them, when it's shown it's not popular OUTSIDE MOBILE GAMES. Japan demonstrates this again and again in sales alone (that or they're not interested in repurchasing ports with no new content, and it's just coincidence). Nevermind the enemy models...at least on all the mobile games, the models are direct rips from the original SNES. Not so with the console versions of the mobile ports. Oh no. They're redone, and like with the character models, they look nothing like Toriyama's art. Nothing.

My guess for the 3DS/PS4/Switch versions being carbon copies of the worst version of DQ3, not like anyone asked, but it really gets my goad, is Japan went from about 100k downloads to 3m overnight after DQ3 went free to play on its anniversary. As a result it got a lot of rave reviews (well, what do you expect for a free to play game of some quality?). I think for some reason the DQ team members believe this is indicative of what Japanese players want to see. So it's just ports, and damn any of the GBC changes and additions. As a result, the GBC remains the best quality game overall, with the exception of the medal hunting...

Sorry, just getting into this, and given how much I love this game. It's not just disappointing, it's like watching SE dump a giant turd all over one of the greatest games ever made, while Yuji Horii puts on a smile, a thumbs up, and lets it happen.
Life can be unexpected. Embrace and prepare for anything.
Searchable public mass Declassification, Project Apario: https://projectapario.com/
(edited 2 years ago)
Angelalex242 2 years ago#5
Short version...just wear grand helmet, because this won't help you.
There is a fine line between genius and insanity.
Which side am I on? You decide. (Name is split Angel Alex 242)
behindtheword 2 years ago#6
Angelalex242 posted...
Short version...just wear grand helmet, because this won't help you.

Yes, exactly. Sorry for the rant.
Life can be unexpected. Embrace and prepare for anything.
Searchable public mass Declassification, Project Apario: https://projectapario.com/
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest III
  3. Ortega's helmet
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A