• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest III
  3. Why is my guy always a level behind the rest of my team?

User Info: jw91

jw91
2 years ago#1
This is despite the fact that two of my party members got KO'd and I had to walk back to town to revive them, killing monsters with my MC and one other member. So in theory I would assume that my main character should have the highest level, but he's always one step behind the others. One of my party members in particular is a full TWO levels above the rest of my team. Why is this?

Sorry if this is a noob question. It's my first time through the game and I don't really have a lot of experience with DQ as a whole. Does it have to do with the personality system? I thought that only affected your stat growths.

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
2 years ago#2
The Hero has a higher experience table than the other classes, simple as that. This is especially noticeable if your other party members don’t use magic.

https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dw3nes/exp_levels.php
Streaming Randomizers & other games I enjoy 4 nights a week - http://twitch.tv/kigalas

jw91
2 years ago#3
D'oh! That actually makes a lot of sense. Over time I've become used to modern RPGs where experience pools are more or less the same for all classes and characters. I'm obviously beyond my comfort zone here lol, but I'm enjoying the game anyway.

User Info: oldguy2

oldguy2
2 years ago#4
Glad you are enjoying this game.
In many ways, I find these old JRPGs to be just as, if not more, enjoyable than the new ones.
In particular, I like to watch TV while playing, and that gets me killed in most new games.
He's got the whole world in His hands: earth, wind, fire, water, and time.

jw91
2 years ago#5
oldguy2 posted...
Glad you are enjoying this game.
In many ways, I find these old JRPGs to be just as, if not more, enjoyable than the new ones.
In particular, I like to watch TV while playing, and that gets me killed in most new games.

This is part of why I like it too. I’m married now so my dedicated gaming time is drastically reduced from where it was a few years ago. I love playing games like this on my phone while watching something with the wife. 😁

User Info: StyrixA

StyrixA
6 months ago#6
All the little differences in things like XP tables add character to the game, and make each class feel just a little more different.

Its also by design. Because all the other classes are meant to switch at 20+, they level up faster. And some classes even then level faster or slower. The Merchant is amazingly quick, almost encouraging you to use him just for the 1st part of the game before switching at 20.

User Info: oldguy2

oldguy2
6 months ago#7
Playing the different classes keeps the game interesting.
He's got the whole world in His hands: earth, wind, fire, water, and time.

User Info: Pre_PHD_Lee

Pre_PHD_Lee
6 months ago#8
The Hero will actually levels faster than most of the classes later on, and will hit level 99 sooner than most classes (at least on the NES version, but I think it's true across the board). I'm pretty sure they are designed to lag behind others early on, with the thought that players would want to try out more than three of the available character classes. I think the developers expected that many people would either swap out characters at different points in the game, or class change their existing ones.
May someday resume the quest for higher education, or else change my name here. Won't stop playing games either way.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest III
  3. Why is my guy always a level behind the rest of my team?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A