• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ask the Mods
  3. If someone asks me to never ever tag them again, can I?

User Info: darkphoenix181

darkphoenix181
4 weeks ago#1
They ask me to not tag them ever again. (By this I mean the mention system using @)

Say a week later I do, can I be modded for this or are they being ridiculous?

What if I tag them the next day. Not on purpose of course but due to a discussion.

Basically I tagged a guy only once, he said if I ever do again he will mark me for harassment. That sounds to me like abusing the mark system for his personal agenda.
"Yeah that's messed up" - MrK3V
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Apodyopsist

Apodyopsist
4 weeks ago#2
If a user requests you don't mention them, don't mention them or you run the risk of moderation.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/852-nofunallowed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39VhSOxRcE

darkphoenix181
4 weeks ago#3
And there is no time limit to this?

In a year if I forget all about this and mention him I can still be modded if he saves a screenshot of a post a year old asking to not be mentioned?

User Info: stahlbaum

stahlbaum
4 weeks ago#4
Why are you looking for a loophole? Just don't mention this user.

darkphoenix181
4 weeks ago#5
I am wanting to know if I should just avoid using mentions at all since you cannot answer my question that if I forget they asked me to not mention them and I accidently do in a month, 6 months or a year, I get in trouble.

Why is this an unreasonable question to ask?

Do I need to make a spreadsheet of all the users saying don't mention me ever again?

If so, why does mentions exist?

It is not unreasonable that as more users know they have this power to BAIT other users into moderations, they will use it.

So if 5 users ask me to not mention them who are quite active, I am better off not using it at all if there is no time limit.

I mean a month later in a heated debate thread, the likelihood is if mentions is indeed a useful tool I might mention one of them.

And even though I am using it to communicate and not harass, they may want to use this as a weapon.

I get modding people for excessively mentioning, but if someone can get modded for being asked to not mention months later, I think you are just empowering trolls who want to bait people into moderations.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: stahlbaum

stahlbaum
4 weeks ago#6
You were told the answer. If someone requests that you don't tag them, don't tag them as you run the risk of moderation.

darkphoenix181
4 weeks ago#7
Well I guess it is no big deal anyways if I get modded for tagging some guy who a year ago asked me not to tag him.

Nothing I can do about if I forget.

Idk why the mods would empower trolls using this to get people modded at later dates instead of you know...

Telling them to turn off mentions notifications.

edit:

And may I say before you close this thread, I was generally seeking clarification of this rule I didn't know anything about so that I won't break it.
I asked how long I can't mention someone and you don't want to answer that. Why? Because it would create a loophole?
That doesn't make sense.

Not sure why vague rules is something to aspire to. If it is forever why not just say it is forever?
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Valjackal

Valjackal
4 weeks ago#8
There's nothing vague about it. You're making it more complex than it needs to be. If someone asks you not to mention them, don't mention them. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not in six weeks. Not in a year. If you "forget", it might not result in a moderation depending on the time frame, but there would be other factors in play as well so that's not a guarantee. But yes, ultimately it's your responsibility to respect the wishes of those asking not to be mentioned by you, regardless of the length in time.

If you run into 5 users asking you not to tag them, then I would advise you start taking a look at possibly adjusting your own posting habits.
Why do people insist on creating things that will inevitably be destroyed? Why do people cling to life, knowing that they must someday die?

darkphoenix181
4 weeks ago#9
Thanks for clarifying Valjackal.
So there is no time limit but "mod discretion" will be used.

And to the jab about my posting habits, the dude just out of the blue asked me this, probably hoping for some kind of revenge if I had immediately tagged him again (which would have only been 2 times). I literally never ever tagged him before as far as I know. So one tag and "never ever tag ME again!"

He just wanted the power to restrict my use of mentions.
And that is why I suspect this will get more common and more people will ask this (not of me but others).

Maybe when that happens you will revise your policy.

User Info: Valjackal

Valjackal
4 weeks ago#10
It wasn't meant to be a jab. If multiple people are requesting that you not mention them, it's hard for me to picture a scenario where some adjustment on the part of the poster isn't necessary. If that example was a hypothetical, then consider my advisement to be one as well.
Why do people insist on creating things that will inevitably be destroyed? Why do people cling to life, knowing that they must someday die?
  1. Boards
  2. Ask the Mods
  3. If someone asks me to never ever tag them again, can I?
  • Topic Closed