Review by Skipatronic

Reviewed: 02/27/09 | Updated: 09/16/09

A Good Game Based on Journey's Best Album

Escape is Journey's 8th Album (7th Studio Album). Escape is the album that features such monster hits as "Don't Stop Believin'", "Stone in Love", and "Open Arms". Escape was such a popular album that it lead to two Journey Tours for the Album, A Live Album of Escape songs as well as older standards, and eventually this game.

A lot of people bash this game for being terrible and being a "knock-off" of a good game, but personally being a Journey fan, it looked bad for me and I almost didn't play it. Fortunately before I could say it was a bad game, I gave it a shot and I actually enjoyed it.

The game is pretty basic. The objective of this game is to get Steve Smith, Jonathan Cain, Ross Valory, Neal Schon, and Steve Perry to Journey's Scarab Space Ship. You are given a time limit of a minute and if you don't make it or you over shoot you got to start from the very beginning. If you do make it the ship, whatever time was left is added to the next level. Now the goal may seem easy, but like all games, there are obstacles. The obstacles include managers, fans, stages, and lights, like the song lights. If you hit one of these obstacles, you lose time and you also lose money depending on what you hit. I really don't know what purpose the money serves. However you can turn invincible if you hit robots and I guess the super manager as he's called, I guess he's Herbie Herbert. It's also pretty cool to hear the bass groove from "Don't Stop Believin'" in the start screen as well as the visual for the album cover. But here's my breakdown of Journey Escape.

Concept 3/5- Get the members of Journey to their spaceship while avoiding fans and angry managers.

Graphics 5/5- Good I guess for Atari. But did they have to make everyone look like some guy in green? I know it's Atari, but at least give them different colored shirts.

Sound 4/5- I love the 8 bit Rendition of "Don't Stop Believin'" . It's a shame that's the only Journey that appears in the game.

Controls 5/5- Basic. Just move left, right, up, and down. Be warned, as you go up, the game moves faster.

Tilt - Moderate to High

Overall 8/10- Everyone degrades this game, I really don't see what's so bad about it..

Product Release: Journey Escape (US, 12/31/82)