Review by TBranford

Reviewed: 06/07/00 | Updated: 06/07/00

A great fighting game, but what separates it from the others?

Introduction
I am a huge fan of arcade fighting games, as some of you may know, and I pride myself on my abilities when it comes to the arcade fighting games. My favorite arcade game as of this writing is Marvel vs. Capcom but I have enjoyed a lot of other fighting games as well. X-Men vs Street Fighter is one of these games. It may not have quite the legacy that some of the other fighting games have (like Soul Calibur) but there is no denying the fact that this is an oustanding fighting game. From the oustanding controls and fast gameplay to the sharp graphics and the excellent quality of the music and sound effects, the game is great. And besides, it features characters from both the X-Men and Street Fighter series!

Graphics (9/10)
As you might expect, the game is 2D, which means it features both 2D backgrounds and 2D character designs (unlike some games which feature 2D characters and 2D backgrounds). Speaking of the backgrounds, they are just plain old awesome! I especially enjoy the fact that they are very colorful, as well as having a nice variety to it. You will definietly not see the same backgrounds repeat every few stages. The character designs in the game are great, as they are just like their comic book and television show counterparts. I like the design of the menu screens a lot also. Overall, the graphics in the game are very well done, and they still don't seem to be too outdated.

Music and Sound Effects (9/10)
The music and sound effects in the game are also top notch. Music wise, the game features outstanding music, and each stage has a different piece of music that really fits in well with the feeling of the stages. I also like the fact that some of the stages play that classic X-Men music that I love. Sound effect wise, the game features a lot of great sound effects, I especiall enjoy the sounds that are made when you connect on a huge combo, because you keep on hitting the same opponent over and over again and after a while the sound of the punches or kicks connecting might get a little annoying but I liked it. Overall, the music and sound effects in the game are great.

Gameplay and Control (9/10)
X-Men vs Street Fighter is a lot like your basic 2D arcade fighting game at first, but then there are a few innovations added to make this a wonderful fighting game. First off there are several different game modes you can choose. I like the fact that you can do normal one-on-one battles, which is something you cannot do in a game like Marvel vs. Capcom (which was a big disappointment in an otherwise incredible game). There is also a tag team mode in this game but it is not as good as the tag mode featured in Marvel vs. Capcom. You can still do super combos and other great moves, however. Speaking of the moves, the moves are quite easy to pull off thanks the excellent control of the game. Overall, the game features outstanding gameplay and excellent control.

Replay Value: High
I didn't play this game too much at first, but now I still find myself playing it every so often. The game is so much fun to play, especially on multiplayer mode, that I can't help but come back and play some more, and you will probably feel the same way too! Overall, the game does have some decent replay value.

Challenge: Medium
X-men vs Street Fighter is a decent challenge, and does get to be quite difficult towards the end of the game. Especially when fighting some of the harder bosses towards the end. Still, the game never gets quite too difficult, which is a welcome sign. Overall, the game isn't too difficult but it is a nice and decent challenge.

Overall (9/10)
With outstanding graphics, amazing controls, and easy to understand gameplay, X-Men vs Street Fighter is quite a game. Who cares if it isn't as legendary as Marvel vs. Capcom, it is still a game worth playing (if your arcade still has it.. lousy Fun Depot)